Need a better video card for 1440p, help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by livingsacrifice, Jul 25, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would wait till next week then, because 2x7950 will destroy any gtx 770/780 out there.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I agree with that, just with small update :)
    In Czech Rep. Those solutions costs same and are around (very sad) 730$.

I myself have high hopes for new driver, since I am waiting for Oculus Rift HMD or 1600x960+ dual projector (passive) 3D solution.
    I like Epson EB-W16SK, it sports 2x 1280x800 projectors and produce similar image to line interleaved 1920x1080 72" screen (projectors have just bit better coverage).
    But for 3D projectors 2x 1920x1080 would be perfect. So I am patiently waiting for HD9970 or 2 based on what kind of 3D devices will make it into market.

PS: Oculus Rift have 1920x1080 screen, so it's 960x1080 per eye at 300$ which is already awesome.
    If they could get cheap 2560x1440 OLED and keep price under 500$ it would smash any 3D solution for years.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    until released and confirmed working that amd fix should be considered vaporware.
    OP do not go xfire until then.

4. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    No I won't, it's better than him buying 2 years old tech.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The tweak, which is FPS cap (+VSync if you like) works under two conditions:
    1) The game works well with VSync - 99% of games out there?
    2) You are able to maintain FPS at the FPS cap

If you only use FPS cap and dip below, you will face microstutter.

If you use VSync as well, the microstutter under the refresh rate is immensely reduced, or even eliminated. I know this just from toggling VSync on via RadeonPro in Heaven benchmark 4.0, a benchmark which by itself is stuttery, even on a single card (try it, the engine is a bit iffy).

Almost no point in using VSync alone without FPS cap as the FPS cap reduced VSync-induced input lag a great deal.

Flip Queue Size should be lowered as far as possible. Some games like to add buffers, *screw screw*.

If you want to disable VSync, you will get microstutter with CrossFire and you'll need to wait for AMD's fix to see how things go.

Do remember that even with SLi, there are cases which microstutter is present, and the above *tweak* works for SLi as well.

For a *perfect* multi-GPU experience, you'll have to put up with additional input lag that VSync + FPS cap produces (not high TBH in 99% of cases).

If you hate tearing and already use VSync, and you're sure you're maintain x FPS, multi-GPU microstutter will not be an issue for you.

If you have a target in mind (60FPS, 120FPS, etc...), at certain graphical settings and resolutions, and you're sure you can meet it, there is no option but multi-GPU (please stick to high-end multi-GPU here - faster single GPU is always better than midrange multi-GPU, even if only theoretically).

If you're just maximizing FPS on immense resolutions, the above tweak might not suit you if you're wanting to disable VSync.

A special case I'd like to talk about is 1440p 120Hz monitors. The advantage of a multi-GPU setup over a single GPU (stick to high-end here) is obvious even with all the drawbacks of added input lag or whatever, for a very obvious reason:

1) If you're maintaining 60FPS with a single GPU, dual would have you maintain 120FPS assuming perfect scaling.

2) If you're maintaining 30FPS with a single GPU, dual would have you maintain 60FPS assuming perfect scaling. This would be a rather immense difference. Your only other option is lowering settings on a single GPU to double your FPS - something I'm not sure a high-end GPU owner would want to do except if he wants to be extremely competitive in a LAN, using a CRT (burning his eyes ;)).

Yet another note is that if your GPU usage is below max (upper 90s ofc), a CPU bottleneck (or whatever), microstutter is immensely reduced / eliminated. No worries if you want 60FPS on dual-GPU and you're getting 30FPS on a single-GPU, you won't microstutter below 60FPS (or imperfect scaling).

And on a side note, as soon as Nvidia and AMD get rid of AFR (please use super-tiling.............), I'll be inviting you all to a party and sending you tickets.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Buying new tech doesn't necessarily mean better performance or value for money.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If your on a budget you could buy another 570.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Very true, Titan is much newer than the 690 yet 690 outperforms it and its cheaper. The direct compute in 580 is much better than the 680 direct compute so it shows that never tech is not always better although most of the time it is better.

9. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Neither does depending on better drivers to help rid the latency.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You're wrong again. And why didn't you wait for new AMD cards? They're around the corner.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

11. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Lol? When was I wrong the first time? The card isnt even out. We know nothing about it. You have some interesting tactics. You must win a lot of debates.

I AM waiting for the new AMD cards. Specifically the 9970 or R9 9970... whatever it is called. My previous card was a 7970.

12. livingsacrifice

livingsacrifice Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX SC ATX
    October is so long a wait. I really want something right now, just having a hard time deciding. There's nothing jumping out at me that I should buy right now, I'd just like to see a 780gtx at a flat 600 would be reasonable. I have been eyeing those 2 7950 CrossfireX but I am pretty sure my power supply only has 3 6 pin connectors not 4. Then of course the 7970 Ghz looks nice but you have old tech and I'm hearing they run pretty hot, not that I generally OC anything. Decisions decisions.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You said waiting for new AMD cards is the way to go. They're about 3 months away. Then a few months after that we'll have Maxwell. Waiting is pointless unless there's something just round the corner. Because if you wait for the new AMD cards, why not wait for Maxwell?

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    There you have it GeniusPr0 :)

7900 cards are far from old tech.

15. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    You can get away with using an adapter if you need one more 6pin.

16. livingsacrifice

livingsacrifice Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX SC ATX
    Hmm ok

17. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    GTX 570 has a 1280MB framebuffer, so that's not really an option.

I have the same monitor as OP and can confirm it plays nicely with a single GTX 770 2GB.

18. livingsacrifice

livingsacrifice Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX SC ATX
    What kind of frames are you seeing on certain games?

19. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Maxwell is much further away and I have no interest unless it turns out to be much faster.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ah Sorry i didnt realise 570 had so little memory, ive never checked before.
    I assumed it was around 2gb. LoLs