I "have" the game Polybius!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by OlharaK, Aug 25, 2004.

1. OlharaK

OlharaK Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GF4Ti4400
    I have the game Polybius!

Really no joking, I got it from emule but I don't know if it's fake or not, actually I'm a bit afraid to click on it, not that I'm afraid of nightmares:rolleyes: but "what if" it's just something to **** up my comp:p willing to try it? search for it on emule and I'll give ya friendly slot to get it in no time.
    Edit: Just send me a msg on emule to know who you are and to be able to give you slot.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  2. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 OC Windforce
    Ummm.....what?

3. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    Wtf is Polybius??

4. TOKbt6

TOKbt6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 580 GTX
    done a quick search and found this -

We need information.
    Game Details
    This game had a very limited release, one or two backwater arcades in a suburb of Portland. The history of this game is cloudy, there were all kinds of strange stories about how kids who played it got amnesia afterwards, couldn't remember their name or where they lived, etc.
    The bizarre rumors about this game are that it was supposedly developed by some kind of weird military tech offshoot group, used some kind of proprietary behavior modification algorithms developed for the CIA or something, kids who played it woke up at night screaming, having horrible nightmares.

According to an operator who ran an arcade with one of these games, guys in black coats would come to collect "records" from the machines. They're not interested in quarters or anything, they just collected information about how the game was played.

The game was weird looking, kind of abstract, fast action with some puzzle elements, the kids who played it stopped playing games entirely, one of them became a big anti videogame crusader or something. We've contacted one person who met him, and he claims the machines disappeard after a month or so and no one ever heard about them again.

Until the ROM showed up.

Here's what we've found so far:

Found english strings "insert coin" and "press 1 player start" and "only" - looks like a 1 or 2 player game.
    Text in the game says "(C) 1981 Sinneslöschen" Maybe a German company?
    If anyone has heard any additional information about this game, we'd appreciate hearing about it

5. TOKbt6

TOKbt6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 580 GTX
    Personally think it's a load of bull , but what do I know ?:rolleyes:

6. OlharaK

OlharaK Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GF4Ti4400
    I don't know if it's true or not but I have it here with me, at least I think it's Polybius.. but I'm afraid that it's not and do something to my comp you know, it's an exe.. I'll try to post a screen with the exe file.

7. bigshasta

bigshasta Guest

8. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/roundup.asp

snopes says it never existed. im more apt to believe snopes than other sites that say its real

my guess, you got a nice little spyware, fake game, or virus waitin for you within that exe of yours.

9. OlharaK

OlharaK Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GF4Ti4400
    Here
    [​IMG]
    I don't know if it's spyware or not but I scanned it and the anti virus didn't recognized it as one.. anyone with emule can search for it and I'll give you slot if you're willing to try it. Btw I think it's strange the fact that it's not a rom but a exe file.. maybe something like that file called "p2p booster" anyone executed it? it was a bit scary:p It simulated a windows directory delection.. in the time I was very noob it scared me:O

10. neowar3020

neowar3020 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi GeforceFx 5900-VTD128
    an exe its not necesary a virus, if its under 200kb then yes it might be a virus, but if its more than that it might be a fake or the real game, now an exe is most of the times a compressed file done via winrar or winzip, the thing here is that the icon you have its not one of those so check the size of it, now if its a compressed file you shpould be able to decompress it with winrar, not OPEN IT! just decompress it, and if winrerar says it doesnt have anything then its not a compressed file, now another thing it might me their own installer of the game, but the fact that many here said the game was never realeased give a 99% its another thing, so better give us more info on what is this, company type of game etc..

11. OlharaK

OlharaK Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GF4Ti4400
    There's not much info about the game, only those stories that it was out in a few arcade gaming places.. the exe is 3.56mb, I'll try to find a link with a bit more info.

12. OlharaK

OlharaK Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GF4Ti4400
  13. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ITs just some gay stupid thing that was made in paint and flash it looks like.

14. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    looks intriguing...i searched a bit about this game, and i found out that the name of the comapany that makes it, "Sinneslöschen" means "to lose your senses." Also when i translated the name in a online translator, it came out as "sense-delete."

it seems like a hoax to me, but you never know what those tricky government agents are up to.....

watch tommorow you're going to wake up in a bare room surrounded by men in black coats:p

15. no one has tried it? someone try it on their old pc and see what it is. i'm curious. what's the worst that can happen that a reformat won't fix on an old pc?

16. OlharaK

OlharaK Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GF4Ti4400
    I believe(by the comments in the first link) it's not anything bad for the comp, but I'm a bit "afraid" that there's any truth in that story lol:eek:c:

17. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

18. neowar3020

neowar3020 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi GeforceFx 5900-VTD128
  19. (TSC)Bender

(TSC)Bender Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce 970 G1
    Lmao, classic :D

20. OlharaK

OlharaK Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GF4Ti4400
    LMAO!!!:funny: :funny: And thinking I was afraid to play it.. LOL btw did you lost your mind yet:rolleyes: lol that's obviously some fake **** someone done:p at least the Polybius mystery is uncovered. lol