Intel likely to figure a way to keep LGA design for CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    The plan is on track and people are getting dumber, and are starting to not know, something as simple as placing a cpu on a socket, too bad the world didn't end lol (about diy market decline)

3. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Even if it's a meant to be a "soldered" cpu, it has to have contacts on its surface somewhere, so I don't see the problem. Mobo mfrs. can make sockets for just about anything, I imagine. LGA was made because they wanted the CPU to be able to be either soldered using surface mount technology or socketed, so wikipedia says.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    1000+ pin count BGA sockets have been around for a long time in ATE. Nothing new here.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Wont that kill off the the makers like evga, gigabyte, etc? They'd have to make a mobo with the cpu already soldered on and make multiple of the same one with cpu variations.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The idea here is that there won't be CPU variations, just motherboard ones. CPU features will be software unlocked by paying for codes. Intel is at the point now where they can make processors at an insanely high yield. They no longer really have a need for binning.

Most people here will hate this because it's simply not what they are used to. I, on the other hand, like it. I don't think there's every been a time where I dropped a new CPU on to my older motherboard. Having the CPU integrated allows for kinds of new cooling options on both sides of the motherboard. It technically lowers the cost which should be passed to consumers. It also increases the durability of the chip as a soldered connection is obviously a lot better than just contact. It allows for all kinds of different internal designs because no longer have to worry about pin configurations. Also chances are software unlocking will be hacked so you'll be able to unlock your $100 CPU to a $1000 one for free -- at least in the past everything has been hacked at some point :p

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    You could say that's case in point with mine, basically a 980X with a Xeon badge on it.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    oh thank God, now our cpus will come with drm to stop piracy

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If they do BGA and LGA, I do not see a problem here.

10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I thought Intel already killed the rumor and said they weren't abandoning LGA? At least for the time being.

11. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Great so now we can use utorrent to download unlocking features for cpus !!!! I love it bring it on intel muahahahahhaha hehe

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Intel stated that only the high end ones will be socketed, they didn't say that their entire line will be socketed.

deltatux

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    and most important one, they get rid of crappy connectors, there have been many problems and limitations because of connectors.

Anyways if it's like you said, piracy, there we go...

14. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    In my life, i have never ever had problems with CPU connectors, i had problems with RAM, pci slots because of oxidation, but not with CPU socket or pins . You stating they have limitations - please name them. If i'll accidentally burn my cpu, i'll have to use soldering instead of just easily changing, wasn't socket built for easy cpu handling? I ain't buying xbox, i'm buying computer.

15. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Sound like we will be idd downloading processor power soon xD

Stupid choice imho..

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    As far as burning your CPU goes, that's really hard to do now in days with all the throttling they have. I've run machines without coolers at all, the CPU simply shuts itself down. Also motherboards are becoming dumber and dumber. Pretty much everything is integrated onto the CPU at this point, the motherboard is basically becoming a giant switch. When this inevitable push towards integrated CPU's does come, I bet the price of the motherboard at that point will be nil. So cost wise it won't really even matter, only issue would be having to re-seat everything on the board which could be annoying but whatever. Benefits far outweigh the cons in my opinion.

17. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    But do you realize how many motherboard options has to be made to allow users to choose what they need? For example i want mid-range motherboard with top of the line processor. You think they will produce these things? oh no, they will produce top of the line motherboards with top of the line processors and plus they will increase the prices instead of decreasing. Well, you'll see, nothing happens without a reason, company never ever let you save your money letting themselves losing it. If you think it's win win, i doubt it.

18. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    not a big deal guys...

Except they said their top-end CPUs will still be offered the way they are today, not soldered.

19. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    We'll see.

20. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    If you read the article again, it makes it sound as if they're abandoning LGA for the whole lineup (including high end). The way its worded is a bit misleading. I already know that they're keeping LGA for the high end market, as per my quote.