Sound card, Speakers and Headphones

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by jeked, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    So that's your definition of "current"? Games that came out 5 years ago that nobody plays? Again, stupid.

The logic behind that statement: making you look dumb. I knew you could not produce anything and you proved it.

Actually, it does. It was in response to your statment about "my beliefs". ASUS winning awards is not a "belief" of mine, it's publicly known fact. Poor choice of words on your part.

Outdated CPU emulated EAX? EAX itself is outdated! So is the notion of hardware accelerated audio! And why would you build a gaming computer only to connect a PS3 to it?

Greater performance, sound quality, sound effect? Maybe if the game uses EAX... which most don't. And at least the STX has a headphone amp, cheap or not. It can power 600 ohm Beyerdynamics without complaints.

I never said you said the Titanium HD's amp was better than the STX's. I said you were comparing, there's a difference.

A very small percentage, yes. Again, most games these days do not use any form of hardware accelerated sound.

Again, UT3 is not a modern or popular or current game. Is this your desperate example? Next time you want to talk about games, remember your own choice of words (i.e. current).

Again, you have a misunderstanding on how each card handles resources. There's no point in me trying to explain it to you again. You're obviously not capable of understanding that concept.

A majority of your posts are meaningless because you have no idea what you're talking about. Doesn't matter if I choice edit or not, you're still lacking basics when it comes to sound hardware on the PC. Titanium HD does not have "an average amp", it has no amp. You finished yet?

2. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Quite amuzing for you to call those (games) that nobody plays and are 5 years old, im pretty sure some games of that list are newer than that ;)
    I could bother posting a more detailed list, but replying this sentence to your current ignorance is enough for me.

Actually no, the logic behind that statement was that something is wrong because your soundcard EAX2.0 (EMULATED) should offer same performance as a titanium HD with EAX 5.0 and you wont believe it because the idea of you knowing nothing about personal computer soundcards is to hard to be true (for you).

Yes, i understand that you buy a product from a brand and you imediatelly think is the best thing in the world cause it has an awzome tribal logo on a metal "shield" and how awzome that new company is and is kicking azzes with their innovative solutions, and when they are awarded something daium Son, it haz to be that mediocre amp or that logo on your soundcard, i have news for you:
    http://www.asus.com/
    And you come with stuff like Asus won great awards and pretend it defenitly had to do with that specific card. Pure fanboyism all the way.

Nope, eax is only outdated on your own card, and worse than that, its emulated.

This part shows exactly what you know about gaming soundcards, you know nothing.

Yes there is, the difference is you have failed into trying to make a point, as usual.

Im sorry you've said and i quote: "Modern games do not use hardware accelerated sound anymore, so who cares" games these days use hardware acceleration, and i have proven wrong, dont distort your posts please.

And yet, it wasnt the only on my list and my list is far from beying the only ones currently available or modern, so GG on that, so no, this is not my desperate example, this is your desperate example to say that nothing exists, ut3 is still played even though not popular its still modern aswell, latest patch and expansion pack released in 03-06-2009.

Theres no point in you trying to pretend that you know how they are handled either and thats the reason why you fail once more to disprove something since you dont know what to make up next to induce people into the error that titanium HD emulates everything just like your card.

Funny! its usually me correcting your indoctrination about computer gaming soundcards and computer games.
    Yes, Titanium HD doesnt have your average amp, it doesnt need to, anyone knows a decent amp makes your average amp bite the dust and so did creative when releasing this card, so why making a wannabe card which will fail to be the real thing? instead, in features it offers the essentials which yours lacks, namely optical in/out (have fun with your petty spdif out), DTS, and all the features that the gamers want are all available in the titanium HD, which again yours is a total joke by comparison, can you say the same about mine compared to yours in sound quality? i think not ;)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  3. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Im not angry about the soundcard, however when someone wants a gaming sound card and is suggested one which is emulated by the cpu with really nothing to offer on the gaming departament except the emulated eax2.0 over one which offers both the same(or better) sound quality, better balanced opamps and has indeed all those gaming features possible in today modern games, i have to demand their justification (and that justification is built in amp, give me a freaking break)...

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    OK, stop now. No need to further ruin the thread. If you like your cards great but others like different cards for various reasons so leave it at that.
    The TitanHD excels at certain tasks and the Xonars excel at certain tasks and people should buy the card that suits their needs the best.

I have tested both card and I won't just blindly suggest one over the other it depends on the context in which the card will be used. Both the CL and ASUS cards have their pros and cons.

Leave it at that.

5. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    ROBSCIX, i only have 1 last question for you and i hope it wont offend you:

Between Asus Xonar Essence STX and Creative X-FI Titanium HD, which would you choose for gaming? the OP original request was a gaming sound card, this is what ticks me off about this thread.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It is not a black and white questions as really it depends on the game.

If your games make use of hardware features such as EAX/OpenAL then I would go with the card that offers that support But

If the games you are playing has a built in effects engine which is becoming more and more common then the card that has the best overall sound quality will give you the best results.

It really depends on what features the person is after and I think the idea of only a CL card being suitable for gaming is long gone.
    Games the require a hardware based card are becoming few and far between.

It's a personal decision I guess as the person needs to decide what features they need and go with that.

Based on the original posting, I wouldn't recommend a Titanium HD as it only offers stereo through analog. For a hardware gamer type card, if I was him I would try and find a Prelude, Forte or HTHD 7.1. For non hardware types, Xonars or others that have the features you want.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Xonar STX is only a stereo card. You can go with a Xonar ST Deluxe which is surround sound.
    I would ignore the Recons as there are much better cards available.
    If you want surround sound and hardware gaming routines such as EAX 1,2,3,4&5 and OpenAL. I would try and find a Auzentech Prelude 7.1, Forte 7.1 or a Auzen HTHD 7.1.
    Those cards are considered the best for hardware gaming cards that offer 7.1 surround sound.

If those features are not that important to you go with one of the Xonar series as you were considering or other cards from Auzen, HT Omega..etc.
    As for speakers, I suggest staying away from the "PC" types and going with a higher end system meant for HT usage. This type of speaker system will give you the best sound for your games.
    As for headphones, I suggest avoiding the "gamer" type of headphones and going for a set that is just considered a great headphone no matter what you play. A set from Sennheiser, Beyer,Grado..etc

There is lots of great gear available, do some research, ask questions and buy gear that is the best for your needs.

8. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    In addition to that information, i would suggest you to take a look or test the following 3.5mm (standard) headphones:
    100$ range
    Sony MDR-XB700, they are just amazing for both music and games, the mids and highs are good, but the best is its lows, the bass is so strong you will not find anything close on any other brand (or at least i couldnt).

500$ range
    Sony MDR-Z1000, if you want the so called audiophile headphones, lesser bass but higher frequency range try these out.

Imo its not worth wasting so much money on a pair of headphones just for the "transparency sound output" if it doesnt have an attitude and sounds as if everything is flat, nothing overcoming nothing it gets really boring, but thats just me, other people like it, most people who work at studios will use these types of headphones so they can easelly monitor as many sounds as possible and do some tweaks if necessary.
    So it depends what suits your style im pretty sure u dont care for this audiophile crap and just want some headphones to enjoy listening too, the advantage of those mdr-z1000 is that it offers incredible frequency range from 5-80000hz and does all that without needing a headphone amp using a 3.5mm jack which you can plug them in pretty much anything including mp3 players (the mdr-xb700 too are 3.5mm jacks).

Anyways these are just suggestions, ive tested a few sennheiser models and i didnt like them one bit, they sounded clear and even but that easelly reminded me of 20 dollars headphones. (Not trying to offend anyone).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Those frequency ranges were achieved under ideal conditions in a laboratory environment. They are not indicitive of real world performance, it's just marketing. Besides, the 20 KHz range is around the limit of human hearing. And I understand you like Sony headphones, I used them in high school, but there really are better options available for the money.

Also, assuming ROBSCIX doesn't care about audiophile equipment? :3eyes:

10. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    He was referring to OP ;)

11. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Sorry mate, the link lead to nothing about filtering hardware. The thread itself has no content whatsoever. Only one poster saying about reclocking chip. It's not a filter. If i'm not mistaken, it's for reclocking the digital data to minimize jitter. And we still need a valid source for that info too.

YES I'm 100% sure my card it the STX (what a silly question that is)

12. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Are you saying that you do not believe the ST has that extra hardware over the STX?
    Almost every review who compares both speaks about that really.

13. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I never said I don't believe. I'm just less informed than you. I asked you about the hardware, hoping that you can provide more detailed information, but you lead me to a forum thread that has no valuable information instead.

I'm done with this conversation regarding STX in this thread. Sorry I didn't read the whole thread before I replied.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @elkosith
    The ST has an additional chip, the CS2000, IIRC that "reclocks" the timing signal making it a bit more precise. I would never call it a filter though, it is a timing chip.

15. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I believe the DT770 600-Ohm model is very rare limited production model of the DT770s.

16. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Thanks for the info Rob. :)

17. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    Yes, that's true, but still when stereophile reviewed them, the STX fared better in measurements than the ST, that's a very curious thing in my opinion.

18. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Stereophile did mention that "it's possible that the actual ratio will depend on the computer in which the card is installed." when discussing the ST and STX.

19. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5GB
    Wow, i didnt mean to cause such a heated debate. Sorry for that and late replys, i got snowed under at uni and work last week.

Im going to go with getting both the STX and the Creative sound cards and make sure i can return. Ill try both and then from there chose which i think sounds best on the games i currently have.

From whatr im reading i can see it come a lot down to personal choice in terms of sound setup so i may end up simply getting both at some point or another.

In regards to the headphones if im understanding it again comes down to personal choice but also more depends on your experience with high end sound equipment. By this i mean that while buying great headphones will improve the sound quality, for a novice like me i wouldnt understand or appreciate most of the gains i would get from something costing 500-600 dollars over a 200 dollar set. Am i correct in this?

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Don't sell yourself short. Some people make excuses for keeping their poor quality audio ear.
    The "I wouldn't notice the difference" excuse is a common one.

Buy the best gear you can afford, you will appreciate it in the long run. With any new audio gear, it takes a bit for your ears/brain to get used to the new signature.
    I am not saying you need to buy $600 cans, but don't buy $20 cans because you think you have no experience and won't notice the better sound quality. I hope that makes sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.