Multiple BSOD Followed by Computer Failure

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Vikingkid, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Vikingkid

Vikingkid Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7850
    I may be in the wrong forum to ask this question however, I hope your expertise will be able to help me.

My system:
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4
    VGA: Radeon HD 7850
    CPU: AMD FX 8320
    Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    RAM: Patriot Division 2 Viper Xtreme DDR3, PC3-15000, 8GB (2x4GB) 1866
    PSU: Corsair HX 1000W

I initially built this computer with the ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard. However, I had to go through 5 of those motherboards due to consistent failures. Every one had the same issues, either immediately, or after a week or two, the soundcard and some of the USB ports would stop working. After the fifth board failed, I lost all confidence in ASUS and switched to the current Gigabyte motherboard.

However, that is when my most recent set of problems started to occur. After I installed the new motherboard, everything was working without issue. However, after about a week, I had crashed with a BSOD while playing Counter Strike: Global Offensive. I attributed the crash to driver issues as I had not reformatted after installing the new MOBO. After reformatting the BSODs continue.

While playing CS:GO, the game would crash and give me an error message along the lines "Failed to start app. App is already running." I have not been able to find the source of those crashes. Along with those crashes are the BSODs (I cannot attach the WhoCrashed report to this post for reasons I'll explain later). There is an interesting occurence with the BSODs while playing CS:GO. I usually play with my brother, and every time I have BSOD, he has had some major graphical error, but has not BSOD. For instance, I freeze up and BSOD, his computer freezes and has UI errors, but continues to play without any issues. The UI error is cleaned up when the matches end.

I cannot attach the Whocrashed or minidump reports, but the crashs were primarily related to atikmdag.sys, atikmpag.sys, ntoskrnl.sys, dxgmm1.sys, with a few others. I used the UDD cleaner tool and reinstalled the ATI drivers, and did have anymore atikmdag.sys/atkmpag.sys related crashes (out of 3 BSODs), but did have the first dxgmm1.sys crash.

Now comes the more pressing issue, and the reason I can't attach the crash reports. Yesterday, I booted up the computer, loaded a game, and, within 1 minute, the computer shut itself off then powered up the fans and chassis lights. If I hold down the power button, nothing happens. If I use the power switch on the back of the computer, everything shuts off, but once it is turned back on, all of the fans (chassis and heatsink, but NOT the gpu) and the chassis lights turn on, and the computer will not boot. I have unplugged and replugged all of the hardware with no change.

I believe the PSU has failed, but I do not currently have any back up PSUs to test. I will try to find one and report back. Until then, do you know of any other possible causes and could the computer failure and BSODs be related or coincidental? I pray to the gods that it is not another broken mobo, but could that be an issue?

Thank you very much.

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Borrow a PSU from a friend or your brother and see if that fixes the problems.

I used to have BSODs and boot problems on a previous machine. That turned out to be a bad PSU. Worth a try.

Edit: It could be that one of your other components has a problem. First start with the motherboard only (disconnect everything, that includes drives) and boot. If you don't have an error LED display on your motherboard then at least connect a speaker and make sure to have a motherboard manual. That manual may contain a list of error codes or error beeps. Try to figure out what component is causing the problem. Add another component and boot. Check the manual to see how it should behave. If it works correctly then add another. Boot. Etc. Once you are able to run in Windows then play with it for a while. See if the problems reoccur. If so try replacing the last added component with one from a working computer. That way you can eliminate bad components.

Be patient and don't panic. Especially error beeps can be misleading at first. There can be one or more. If there are more than one then observe their duration (long or short). The manual should tell you what the meaning of the sequence is. A LED display is more convenient if your motherboard has such a display.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. Vikingkid

Vikingkid Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7850
    Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot. Unfortunate part about my motherboard is that the model I have does not have an LED nor does it beep on startup. Definitely makes it difficult to test components in the manor you suggest, do you know of any other methods?

4. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    If it does not beep then you can buy a computer speaker somewhere for a couple of dollars. They are really cheap.

5. Vikingkid

Vikingkid Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7850
    Well, I went out and got a new psu to try out. Same problem. The original PSU does not seem to be the issue. Still, immediately after switching on the PSU, all the fans and chassis lights turn on, yet the computer itself will not boot. So what would you think is next CPU or MOBO?

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sound and USB failure. What kind of devices you have plugged in?

Do you have repro with it's own power source? Are some of your USB devices plugged to wall socket like printer?

If so, make sure all are connected via same electric circuit. If you have protective extension or UPS, then those change phase and may cause interference. You should connect all that goes to PC via only one of those.

7. Vikingkid

Vikingkid Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7850
    My apologies, I may not have been too clear in my first post. I no longer have the motherboard that had the sound and USB failures, and am not experiencing that on my current motherboard. My intention to was give as much information as possible related to the history of my machine in order to diagnose the issues.

Since I replaced the PSU yesterday, and discovered that my present problem (fans/chassis lights powering on when the psu turn on, but unable to boot the computer) was not resolved, then there must be something else that has malfunctioned. The most likely culprits would be the motherboard or CPU. Does anyone have an idea which may be the cause of the problem? I'm hoping to have more guided information before I risk RMAing either component, as I rely pretty heavily on my computer for work.

Thank you.

8. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    What are the chances of having 6 bad motherboards in a row?

I think the processor is at fault.

Messed up problem and tough to diagnose. Good luck!

9. Vikingkid

Vikingkid Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7850
    CrunchyBiscuit, I'm glad you asked. Whatever the chances are, you can always count on me to have a truly inspirational run of bad luck with computers. I just replaced the new Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 board with my old ASUS M5A97, the one with 3/9 functioning USB ports and failed onboard sound (I've been able to get the sound/mic to work with an external USB soundcard). And the computer turns on. So it appears I've defied all odds on that 6th motherboard, as it was the cause of the BSODs and the eventual crash and problem as described earlier.

Is it possible, though, that the processor has been the cause of all the matricide? Or am I truly just getting bad motherboards?

Either way, I will be RMAing the Gigabyte and returning the new PSU that I bought.

10. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Yeah, some people are just cursed I guess ;)

I have a buddy who experiences the opposite. It's not just my subjective impression either, he himself as well as family and friends all agree - he's one lucky bird.

Long time ago my bro had an AMD Thunderbird system with about the same symptoms as those yours is exhibiting. After some odd behavior, the thing would kinda turn on - diagnostic leds on the motherboard lit up, powerled worked, fans started spinning, but no beeps nor post screen, just a black screen. The processor turned out to be the culprit. It got permanently damaged somehow.

My mom's current system is doing the same thing since last month, it wont properly turn on anymore. Me and my bro took it apart. Every part works fine in different systems, except for the processor - it won't work at all anymore.

The only thing different in the scenarios mentioned above is that in both cases the fan on the videocard also started spinning up, yet you mention yours won't start spinning, despite the other fans in your system working as they should.

I hope you find the cause of your system's issues. Seems like you're gonna have to try and individually replace all suspect parts to narrow it down. It seems unlikely to me that the motherboard would be the cause of the problem due to the low chances, but with your luck, who knows!

11. Vikingkid

Vikingkid Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7850
    Since this is a videocard forum and my problems appear to be processor/motherboard related, I've started a new thread in the processor and motherboard forum. Thanks for all your help!