PCI latency? a Q for Gurus

Discussion in 'Links' started by Emile, Jan 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Emile

Emile Active Member

GPU:
    GS7800, GF FX5200
    pjmilo likes this.
  2. AGnoobler

AGnoobler Active Member

GPU:
    Asus v9999GE 256
    ive read about this one before but was not bold enough to give it a go. Maby if the guru puts the file on the download list i might try it. Those programs are always located at strange locations.

pjmilo likes this.
  3. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    I set mine from 248 to 64 like the others did and I noticed that Resistance ran muuuuch smoother afterwards. HL2 seems a little better now but I still need to dust off FS9 and see how that runs

4. baroudan

baroudan Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS 1950 XTX
    i try it too and set the value from 248 to 64 and i must say there is a big difference, thanks for the link, wonderful utility.It's strange, all latencys are set to 0, only vga is set to 248, and pci bridge to 64. Now pci and agp have the same value.

5. Freeze

Freeze Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Yeah! Wonderful Utility to set PCI Latency.

THE BEST SO FAR.

6. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    This is a really good post with some great info.

I tried the PCI Latency tool, but found it did not keep the settings on reboot. So I googled and found another software that does the same thing and kept my settings after a reboot. I also ran PCI Latency Tool to see if my settings were shown as changed in that, and they were.
    If you find your changed settings don't "stick" after a reboot, try this proggy as an alternative.

http://www.mark-knutson.com/t3/downloadbuy.html

The link is located at the bottom of the page.

7. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Emile,
    You get my vote for helpful mofo of the day.....
    Thanks, because I didn't know about any latency tool. ATI expert tool has the option I think, but ...EVGA supplies a small booklet with a 6800GT and in there it says to set AGP aperture to 4. "believe it or not" and also to set pci latency to 128. In my nf7s bios you can set pci latency like you want, but it's not for the AGP.
    I haven't been having any problems with anyting but I like to have the option to tweak, if you know what I mean. So, now I have a tool to set it like I need it. You see, my GT was set to 248, and by setting it to 128, and leaving all other pci settings to 32, I do notice a little bit of smoothness, and responsiveness in my games. I'm going to test a few different settings before Im done, like maybe set all of them to 32, so pci and agp match, The Half life 2 demo absolutley runs better, loads much faster, and sounds better. or clearer. I just wanted to say thanks,,,,,this was a worthwhile thread for sure...and MrAllroy, Just be sure to click save and then apply at startup, with the latency tool, and then the registry will set it and it'll stick when you reboot........ goog luck,

8. Emile

Emile Active Member

GPU:
    GS7800, GF FX5200
    Positive results

Hello Toxic Warrior,
    I did apply this modification on my system and I have to tell that FS2004 is smoother and ,surprising, the sound quality is now very good (surround) .
    Hope it will help more guys.:p

9. Emile

Emile Active Member

GPU:
    GS7800, GF FX5200
    Hi,
    Only CSF1 does not work with this modification.:(

10. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

you didn't set it right if the pci latency tool didn't keep it after reboot

you have to right click and click change setting which will show the new setting box

and enter your preferred value

then click quick change and set the value so its your preferred value now

then go to settings and click apply on startup and then click save

presto

pci latency values set at startup

11. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks Toxic Worrier. I had already tried to save and load on startup, as well as everything else the program would allow me to do. Still no luck. Perhaps there is a service I have disabled that won't make the settings stick with PCI Latency tools.

Anyways, since making this change in settings, I've noticed alot of stutter gone. And my sound card doesn't act up like it used to.

Thanks again Emile for bringing this great information to all the guru's.

12. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    I set my latency to 64 and there was no change in games. Though the only game that stutters for me is HL2. Everything else was okay before and after.

13. Advis

Advis Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    All my Latencies were either @ 0 or 32. I bumped my video card up to 64 and the framerate has gone up slightly and there seems to be less stutters. Nice one!

14. Toxic Worrier

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Life is good
    on this fine day in 2Thousand5 :D

15. Sgt.Stanky

Sgt.Stanky Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce FX5700LE
    I Found PCI Tool To Work Great When Tweaked To Fit Your System....Gotta Major Perfomance Boost Allowing Me To Run HL2 Mint With AF 2Q And AA 2x...Thanx For The Help Guys!

16. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    my PCI latency was @ 32 for my abit nf7 ? 248 ??? i set it at 128. gunna test ...

17. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i installed that tool, and locked my AGP latency @ 64 from 248 .. weird ! just tested FarCry, and indeed it does seem alot smoother. go figure ...

18. z3r0maX

z3r0maX Member

GPU:
    GForce256DDR @ 149/330
    I set 64 for my graphics card, and IDE controller and now i got few more fps in HL2 :) Thanks!

19. Toxic Worrier

GPU:
    GTX 275
  20. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    Should i set all the values here to 64