Looking for a GOOD single slot card for PhysX

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by xXMrMeathooksXx, Aug 7, 2011.

1. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
    Ok guys...

I know there are alot of you out there that have tried different combos concerning ATI based GPU's with an added Nvidia card for PhysX. My issue is that I have only enough room for a card that only takes one slot. This is because the second and third PCI Express slots are CLOSE together!!

I recently went crossfire with 2 HD 6870's...I want the best card for physx. What will fit? I have looked and there are alot of people saying its better to have more CUDA cores? Its all kind of confusing to me. I do know I will need both drivers and a "hack" to make it work.

Thanks for any help!

2. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  3. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Ok. Found an issue. Where I thought I had room for a single card under my GPU,I dont. Unless my GPU was watercooled there would be no way to fit a physx card under it! This motherboard rocks,but the layout SUCKS. Why do they still have PCI slots lol,I mean wtf!

OPTIONS

Ageia PCI physx card OR new motherboard to facilitate room to expand my system without clearance issues. I was looking at the ASUS supercomputer OR the evga 4 sli classified. Would Ageia give some performance?

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uhm no.

5. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    1. Support was dropped some time ago so only old games will run on Ageia.
    2. Ageia cards also get disabled when an Ati gpu is detected and it's a lot harder to re-enable them.
    3. Performance is not that great.

You'd be better of with this PCI Gt 430 but it's not an optimal solution either.
    http://geizhals.at/eu/652586

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Well thats the ****s. I might just sell my ATI cards then,buy a 590 and a 450gts for dedicated physx. It seems that running nvidia is a better way to go if planning on using physx,less trouble and a good sli combo should be enough to do both,instead of piggybacking an nvidia card to and ATI system..

Thoughts? Its funny,last time I built a PC the Ageia cards cost more then the GPU's for rendering lol

7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I'm having the same thing. I'm currently using a GT520 (low profile) for Physx, because this card doesn't block my HD6870's fan. Unfortunately the card lacks the juice to deliver acceptable Physx performance, especially in Alice 2.

My HTPC however has a 9600GT OC (EVGA single slot), which will be perfect for Physx, but it blocks the 6870 cooling, thus producing more heat.

My board has 2x a PCIe x16 slot, the top green one running @ 2.0 x16 while the 2nd orange one runs @ 2.0 x4. There's also a PCIex1 slot for my XFi. I could swap the 9600GT and HD6870, but then again my 6870 will lose performance because of PCIe 2.0 x4.

In a few months i will get a Bulldozer system, of course with another mobo so i can put back the 9600GT.

What is a good low profile single slot Physx card that won't block my 6870?

EDIT:

Tried my 9600GT OC again for Physx in my main rig and i started up Alice 2. It almost seems that Alice 2 runs worse on the 9600GT than on the GT520. :3eyes: My guess is that A2 is badly coded. The GT520 has a mere 48 CUDA cores while the 9600GT has 64.
    Back with the GT520 then.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  8. xXMrMeathooksXx

GPU:
    Hello.

Yeah its been tough for me two. My Mobo just is not liking multiple PCi-e cards at the moment. If I were to try any card for a Physx set-up I would go with a Galaxy 460 razor. It looks like a good prospect as it should have enough CUDA cores to do a decent job with even the more demanding game titles.

Also, Im having some good times right now with ATI driver issues -YUCK- Had to reinstall the drivers a few times as the frame rate would stay at 60 then down to 45 while playing BC2 (zsync is on-helps with stuttering while in CF or SLI). This did not matter what was going on either. I know its driver as the game was working perfect earlier then good again after re-installed!

9. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    a benchmark on Physx Power needed for Alice madness returns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so it seems for a perfect dedicate physx card a gtx450 is needed

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. ZiiiP

ZiiiP Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    My 560 Ti simply **** the bed with Physx on in Alice (20ish fps).

11. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Alice 2 is badly coded for physx.My suggestion is if you really want Nvidia physx the best performing cards that i know of for Gpu Physx calculations are the fermi series gpu's like the GTX460.If i were in your situation i would forget all about Physx at the moment and wait for the next generation of gpus and go Nvidia to avoid having to use hacks with drivers and ati cards.To tell you the truth you're not really missing anything special,the only game i have played so far that made good use of Physx is Batman arkham asylum.

12. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    I've been looking for a single-slot performance level card for a while now. The only one I can find is a MSI 450 Fermi on newegg, the rest have been deactivated/sold out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127558

If anyone can find a Galaxytech 460 Razor or the KFA2 version, or even a 260 Razor, I'd really appreciate it (for sale of course).

13. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56