Ubuntu accused of being “Spyware”

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Ghosty, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Would this bother people enough that they wouldn't use Linux in future?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Well yeah, that particular branch if they cant be trusted.
    They deserve a veto simply for doing that.
    Its the Facebook effect, see what you can get away with.

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    and the answer is a LOT... you can get away with a whole lot of very questionable stuff.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Perhaps not Linux, but Ubuntu as (AFAIK) other distros dont have this kind of stuff.

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ubuntu used to be ok, but it's heading in a wrong direction.

As already stated, there are a lot of great distros around, like Gentoo, Arch, Slackware, or others. Pick any you'd like.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mint ftw! The Linux using crowd isn't the type that takes this lightly, what were they thinking .. lol.

7. Andrés

Andrés Guest

I don't see what's all the fuss about. People should be grateful, not complain about this. If you don't like the Amazon features, you run a simple command and voila, they are gone. It is thanks to Shuttleworth that Ubuntu got to be such a big distro and the one that put Linux on the PCs of average non-nerd people, for FREE. Why should he continue offering it for free anyway?. People are being disrespectful.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    He shouldnt sneakily do this.

If he must do it, it should be an option.
    It should be presented to the user with a good description before they start using Ubuntu, so they can make an informed choice.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Linux has always been available for free.... Canonical didn't do ****.. Slackware, Damn Small Linux, OpenSuSE, FreeBSD....all existed before Ubuntu and all FREE. This stupid **** will do nothing but hurt Linux. Hell, there was even the "Lindows PC" before Ubuntu where you could buy the computer with Linux pre-installed for $200USD.

10. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    And this is any different to what windows 8 is doing, how?

Anyway, they have to finance themselves somehow or they wouldn't be doing it.

11. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Mufflore, for all we know it could be in one of those agreements no one ever reads.

That said, i agree it should be more open though.
    In other words, people be presented with the option to have it turned off, instead of having to look for it.
    I wouldn't consider it a problem, Just as i don't consider the ads on guru3d to be a problem. Though i'll admit the adwords when reading news are a little overkill, 4-5 per paragraph, where even passing the mouse over one, starts a video.. those need to go. OR at least require a click to open.

But I have to ask, are these amazon ads being shown while just using the OS like on the side of the file manager? or do they only show when you load browsers that support ads from amazon? If the first, then it's a super big problem. If the second, not a problem.

12. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    Companies need money to function. Ubuntu didn't cost money the last time i checked. They should provide an option asking the user if they want to use that feature..? But tell me, if they do that, how many of you will actually leave the feature turned on?

That's right, no one.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep, that spells it out really, it isnt wanted by anyone.
    He should raise cash in another way.
    As you say, voluntary donations. He can run a publicity scheme to let people know the predicament and appeal to them, rather than abusing them.

14. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    It already asks you to donate when you download Ubuntu...

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah I don't know where people get that thought from. There is nothing to be grateful over. The software itself is illegal to make a distro to sell retail.
    If you think about it, information collecting is done ultimately to make money. Donations are different, there is no direct trade of money, you can donate and not use the product, or use it and not donate (obviously).
    Maybe whats going on here is almost illegal. Under that GNU/whatever software release thing. This stuff makes my brain hurt.

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    It's neither.
    The first guess is a closer one, though.

The crux of the problem here is the Home Lens universal search on Unity Dash.
    It basically shows product suggestions from Amazon while you're searching for things either locally or online.
    The problem is, this means your searching keyword(s) gets sent to Canonical and Amazon's servers without any user consent.

Sense.
    You're not making any.

Ubuntu is just "Debian made easy".
    Before Ubuntu, there were many big name GNU/Linux distro offerings for free.
    Anyone could put any distro on any non-nerd people's computers for FREE without Ubuntu.

And you're being gullible.
    Shuttleworth isn't promoting FOSS, he's promoting Ubuntu.
    End of story.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think all pissed off ubuntu users should band together and type 'butthole gape' a 100 times a day in the Home Lens search to throw them off. :D

18. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I'm not using Ubuntu or unity, but a fork of Ubuntu so this doesn't concern me that much tbh.
    But this like goes against everything what linux means to me, I can't believe this is where Ubuntu is going...
    I think Ubuntu as a name is also taking a lot of heat just for its utterly crap Unity, which is pretty misleading. Even OP thinks Ubuntu = all of linux, just imagine what most of the people think of linux now after Ubuntu did this retarded move with Unity. My point is that by doing this, even though it's only a desktop environment, the whole linux thing is getting bad influence/a bad image...

The WHOLE point of linux is it being free and open source, you should really read about linux before you post BS. Also, it's not like Ubuntu is the first major distro that is known and has made linux more popular, OpenSUSE for example.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Ubuntu has been the only distro I've used so far. With it being one of the most popular, which was one of the reason's I started this thread. Personally it will make me look at different variations of Linux because of this.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Top 3 distros are Mint, Magea then Ubuntu in terms of user interest (hits per day) according to distrowatch. I've tried most of the top 10 and found mint the most polished, best for my purposes.