Gigabyte Z97 3 Sata Ports not detected

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by jetbruceli, Aug 25, 2014.

1. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hell all, I have a Gigabyte z97x Gaming 5 Motherboard. I installed everything and ran windows 8 64bit no issues. All ports were good.
    Then I updated to Windows 8.1 64bit and all was still good.
    I installed a custom light strip and after that 3 out of the 6 ports worked.
    So I unpowered the light strip from the PSU. Then still 3 not working.
    So I changed everything and still Sata ports 2, 4 and 5 will not read anything.
    Ports 0,1 and 3 will. However, port 2 will read if all others are disconected,
    I am sure its not a driver as its not showing in the bios.
    I have changed it sata settings from AHCI to IDE and even raid to see if it would see them.
    I tried using Hot Pluggable and even updated the Bios in hope. I have also resetted to default settings and nothing.
    My system OCZ PSU 700w
    Intel i7 4790k stock clocks
    Hyper 212 plus with 2 fans
    8 GB Gskillz ram 1333mhz
    Sapphire 280x Dual X Factory OC
    240 SSD
    500GB, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM
    ASUS DVD
    LG BDE RW
    Cooler Master HAF 922

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Try clear CMOS and disconnect power cable for a couple of minutes

3. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yes I have reset it a few times. Still nothing.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    SSD and HDDs are not broken?

5. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yeah they are good. They all work fine with the same cables just those slots don't work.
    I have switched them all around and the slots aren't recognizing the devices.
    I have made sure they are enabled and have reseted Bios a few times. Reflashes the latest Bios too.
    The two at the buttom work and the number 3 port works.
    The number 3 port is part of the 4 slots.
    I have wrote to Gigabyte but they haven't replied. The issue is that Newegg only has 30 days from the invoice date. Which my has already been through.
    I wish the mother board had a diagnostic test to see if all the parts are good.
    My only other other option is to get a PCI sata adapter

6. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    No M.2 SSD installed?
    Is it possible to disable(/enable) M.2 support through BIOS?

-Taken from specs: (M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed.)

7. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    No M2 and the only way to change the setting is when you switch it Raid.
    The thing is that I had all working before.
    I didn't mention before but I also installed a front panel USB 3.0
    That and the lights were the only changes.
    I since removed them.
    I even removed the GPu to see.
    Changed the power cables around and still.
    It has to be the mother board.
    Just weird that only 3 of the 6 work.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    May be PSU was working in wrong way after lights installation and motherboard (or PSU) suffered a damage.

Have you tried with another PSU?

9. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Strange indeed. I reckon the light strip was only connected to PSU and the USB3.0 bay to mobo header (and PSU)?

EDIT: you could also check the SATA-power cable(s). It/they might have been damaged by the power strip (if it uses the same connector) - and got swapped afterwards.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  10. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    well i dont have another psu but when i just try one device (the ssd) it works in the only 3 i mention. Plus the if i change the devices around the same ports work.
    Also my other disc drive still opens and closes
    Also yeah the lights were connected only to the psu and the usb 3.0 header.

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Have you tried updating the bios? Tweak Town forums has a few beta you may try out. There are many features in the bios, I would suspect it just needs an adjustment in there.
    I have this board (Z97X-SLI) my one hard drive seems to come and go....
    Here's a link for ya
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/

12. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super

Hey thanks but still not working.
    I am sending this to Gigabyte this friday. Do you think its best to reflash a non beta bios first? or leave the beta one?
    They asked me a few questioned then decided its best to RMA the board.
    I honestly do not want to be without my rig that long lol!
    I guess I can just go back to the x6 1055t for a short bit!

13. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Your fine, mine does the same thing(with my none raid SSD). sometimes it shows up sometimes not, I have the same exact set up except ram. I'll be returning mine, they sell you on a board with a cool feature. But they never perfected its use (M.2)................Is the PSU a few years old? If so I'd look at a new unit(suggest) I don't think that's your issue though.

14. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I wish I could return it and just get a total different board. My old gigabyte 870 with the x6 1055t was always so good.
    Maybe they ship me a perfect one and I never look back at this problem.
    My issue is that I live in Germany but since it was purchased through the American system it has to go back there. Means I will need wait a few extra weeks without a pc.

Also now its starting to not want to turn on. Like it starts for a brief second and then shuts off. I have to keep trying till it all boots up.

15. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I'm taking mine back, it totally lost one of my raid SSD'S. Not sure if its any good now.....

16. dpfranz

dpfranz Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    Exact same issue - 2, 4, 5 SATA ports don't work

I was encouraged to see I'm not the only one. I'm running the same MB:

GA-Z97X-SLI

and have the same issue. Of the 6 SATA III ports (0,1,2,3,4,5), only 0, 1, and 3 are working. 0 and 1 each have a SAMSUNG 840 1TB SSD on them. I had my DVD/CD drive plugged into 3 by chance, so can't tell if 2, 4, or 5 ever worked previously. But I bought a new HDD, and didn't have a spare SATA cable, so I just unplugged the DVD drive cable and plugged it into the new HDD, leaving the other end plugged into SATA port 3 on the MB. Drive worked fine, and since I rarely need the DVD drive, I just left it unplugged while I waited for Amazon to deliver a 3-pack of SATA cables. They came, I plugged in the DVD drive, doesn't work. Start debugging (and have to pull 2nd video card to get at SATA ports 2,3,4,5..ugh), and find that no matter what combination, I couldn't get 2, 4, or 5 to work (though I never unplugged the SSDs from 0 and 1..different spot on the MB, as you know, just saying for other readers).

Did anyone ever find a solution? I'm using a 750W PS, I wouldn't think it would be power related.

17. dpfranz

dpfranz Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    Solved!

I went to Gigabyte's site and installed a new Intel driver. Boom. All SATA ports work. Here's the site:

<they won't let me post a link yet, since this is my first post, but hopefully you can find the site - I did a google search for "ga-z97x-sli rev 1.1 drivers" and it's the first link>

I filtered by Win 10 64bit, and under the "SATA RAID/AHCI" section, I downloaded and ran this file:

IntelĀ® Rapid Storage Technology
    (Note) Please install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 first. [14.5.0.1081] 11.41 MB 2015/07/09
    Asia China America Europe
    Europe(Russia)

I did not "install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 first."

But now, after a reboot, all my SATA ports are working.:banana:

18. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    so you know these board will go into a state of not wanting to boot, power on nothing will happen other then fans spin up etc. Hit the RESET while the board is powered on boom it will boot.........

19. dpfranz

dpfranz Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    Thanks for the info. I've had no trouble with this board at all except for this single SATA driver issue. It seems very stable, no problems.