HDDs from Hitachi are most reliable

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Backbase, a provider from a cloud-service, posted some research on reliability of HDDs from the consumer market. It seems that HDDs from Hitachi are the most reliable, while Seagate has the worst rea...

HDDs from Hitachi are most reliable

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hardly surprised to see Seagate as the worst. WTF is wrong with them ...

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You could probably put the latest Toshiba desktop drives (like the DT010ACA100/DT010ACA200/DT010ACA300) in with Hitachi drives there, seeing as they are essentially Hitachi drives anyway.

4. I can attest that Seagate drives are the worst. I had 3 consecutive Barracudas that failed in less than a month of use and they were all from different batches. :puke2:

And apparently I've not experienced the worst because the survival rate chart shows piles of Seagate drives failing after many months of usage. Meaning many months worth of data suddenly gone from what seems to be a good unit. I consider myself lucky to have mine all fail up front.

On the other hand their external drives seem ok.

HDD reliability is VERY important!! You don't want to lose precious data and have your work/play interrupted by drive failures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014

5. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Strange. My GF has a 3TB barracuda and it works just fine for around a year now. Usually i buy Samsung.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I can confirm seagate being the worst. All I have from them are certified repaired now.

7. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I would have thought that the sale of Samsung's HDD division to Seagate would have seen them improve. Obviously not. I think I'll be going with WD in future as I have had personal negative experiences with Hitachi.
    Damn I miss Samsung's HDD's, they really knew what they were doing and it shows at the success of their SSD's now.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've heard Toshiba's are the worst, Seagate I've heard mixed views about, I love my barracuda drives.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Had a couple Seagate 1tb units for a year now, no probs. Hope they keep going.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I personally haven't had much bad luck with Seagate, but I think what separates them from WD is their more in-depth SMART diagnostics and they're pretty good about replacing defective drives. On the other hand, by adding more diagnostics, Seagate drives are more likely to "fail" even if there isn't really a problem.

11. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Damn..just bought a 2tb SSHD, oh well. I'll see how that works for me.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is this a joke? Hitachi are the worst.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  13. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    +1 from me to.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    There's something not right with these stats, they are completely skewed.

Yes Seagate had problems with the 1.5TB drives...that is no secret, however doesn't anyone think it's pretty strange there are no 1TB or 2TB Seagate drives in this graph?

[​IMG]

15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, not all drive models are created equal, they should have the same playing field. 1TB 1 platter? 2 platters? 3 platters?

16. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    They also did not mention the size of the lots they buy in. For example, if they bought 1000 Seagate HDDs in one shot and that lot had a problem, it would severely skew their results.

When drives have no problem, lot purchase info is not so important since the default expected state is no problems. But when there are problems, lot info is important.

17. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    This is my experience as well. Seagate replaces the drive under warranty without you having to prove it is failing.

18. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    TRUE.....as Seagate's HHDs firmwares are most likely to be available....

19. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I like Western Digital, mainly due to the advanced replacement RMA drives you can get

I've got a few RED drives now, not sure how good they are yet but i've RMA's a few greens over the last three years and they seem to be starting to fail now in my raid array

20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Some Seagate models carry only a single year warranty over here. Maybe it differs from country to country, but honestly an HD with such a short warranty tells the manufacturer itself doesn't expect much from it. Fortunately that's only some of their models, so I can still keep them in mind in addition to WD, whichever happens to have better prices at the moment.