Guide to RAM

Discussion in 'Links' started by WildStyle, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    your best bet is to go into your bios and set the memory timings and voltage manually.i would start by setting the timings to stock 4-4-4-10 and voltage to stock 2.2v.you shouldnt have a problem getting 1180 with much tighter timings.if you leave your mem settings at auto the chipset will run relaxed timings.hence the 5-5-5-18.thats some great ram youve chosen.you should have no problems at all getting that 6300 maxed out with it.

2. MisterE68

MisterE68 Member

GPU:
    ATI X1900XTX
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it seems to fit with the discussion. Will happily move to general area if required?)

Hi, I am looking to buy another 2Gb RAM for my PC and if possible would like to match my existing pair. My understanding of RAM technology and the particular specifications for RAM is very limited, so I’m not having much success with my research so far.

Firstly, please advise if the RAM I’m considering will match my current pair (I have confirmed on the Corsair forum that this RAM will work ok on my system – the question is limited to whether it’ll work well with my existing RAM. Note that I got my question wrong when asking Corsair. I Meant 'timings', not 'speed' AND at the time I thought I had Legend memory installed. Uber Noob!). If it’s evident that it won’t match, perhaps you could advise what other products are available (if any) that would work effectively with my pair?

It might also help if you could explain WHY the product I’m looking at is/isn’t compatible with my current set? The grey area for me is around the RAM timings (I really don’t understand these at all) and just how close they have to be to mine to maximise the chance that they’ll work together. (Note, I’m working on the assumption that if all the other specs are the same, it’s the timings that will decide if the memory is compatible? Please correct me if I’m wrong) i.e. "240 Pin Unbuffered DDR2 4200 533MHz NECC SDRAM" + matching RAM timings?

Besides the RAM timings one other thing that confuses me is that CPUZ tells me my RAM is PC2-4300 (266MHz), but whenever I search for RAM for my system it advises using “4200”? Is there a difference?

I will list below as much relevant info as I can about my PC & current RAM specs and also provide a link to a pair that I’m interested in buying.

My PC Specs:

Dell Dimension 5150
    Intel Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz (2X1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)
    Intel(R) 945G Chipset
    Genuine Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition 2005
    160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with Native Command Queuing
    256MB PCIe(TM) x16 ATI Radeon(TM) X600
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio
    Dell(TM) Single TV Tuner Card with Remote Control
    16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write Capabilities
    Dell(TM) 5650 Surround Sound Speakers with subwoofer
    19" UltraSharp(TM) Flat Panel LCD Monitor
    etc etc...

Current RAM:

1GB (2X512) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz SDRAM Memory – Samsung Brand (Detailed Specs here)

Interested in buying the following Corsair RAM:

Corsair 2GB (2x 1GB Kit) Value Select PC-4200, 240-pin DDR2, non-ECC, Unbuffered, 2x128Mx64 ($209AU) (Purchase site here). Note I cannot find a detailed spec sheet on this RAM to determine the timings. One website suggests 4-4-4-12, but another site shows the timings as 5-5-5-15?! Hence my confusion!

Hope you can help?

Cheers, MrE.

PS. Screenshots from CPUZ detailing my system specs:

CPU Screen

Cache Screen

Mainboard Screen

Memory Screen

SPD Screen

About Screen

PPS. I can provide the Register Dump if it helps?

3. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    you should have no problem running the 2x1gb set in your mb.being that its value ram most likely the timings will be 5-5-5-15 but it may be 4-4-4-15.from what i can find it looks like its 4-4-4-15.
    the reason your seeing two different speeds for the ddr2 533 is because there are two speed ratings for that memory for some reason.one is pc2 4300(yours)and the other is pc2 4200(the corsair)tbh i have no idea why there are two different speed ratings.
    now im not quite sure if your planning on running both sets in your mb.if so i would say with a good amount of certainty that they should run together fine...but there is always a chance that mixed pairs wont in fact run together problem free.your best bet would be to contact dell and find out if the corsair will work with that motherboard specifically and if it will cause issues with your current memory.dell motherboards are known to be finicky with memory so this would be the best route to follow.i would provide them with the stock voltage of the corsair 1.8v and timings cas 4 or 5.<---it may also be helpful to find out from corsair what the timings actually are(link them to the site your looking to purchase from).if you need more help just repost and well do our best to get you ontrack.
    Welcome to Guru MrE!

4. MisterE68

MisterE68 Member

GPU:
    ATI X1900XTX
    Thanks for your response :)

What does this translate to? If it does work with my system, just that my existing RAM will slow to these settings? (My RAM timings are 4-4-4-11).

In particular, I’m concerned about the variation in RAM timings between my current sticks and those of any new product that I look at.

(I should declare at this stage that I know virtually nothing about this subject, so please excuse my ‘newbishness’. Know just enough to be a danger to me & my PC! :smoke: )

When shopping around for a match with my existing RAM, how concerned should I be about RAM timings? Are they significant enough that it could prevent the two pairs of RAM working together at all?

(Note I am not attached to this purchase in particular – will happily receive other recommendations - ‘brand’ name, generic or otherwise, if you can indicate they’re a good chance of working with my existing memory).

If the RAM I decide to purchase isn’t compatible then it obviously won’t be the end of the world – just trying not to waste it. If it works then it’s a bonus! (but at least I’ve done my best to find a match first)

5. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    thats a difficult question to answer really.do you have options in your bios to change the memory timings?ideally you would like to be able to loosen the timings of your existing ram to match the timings of the new.if their is no option to change them then its really hard to say if they will run together problem free.the tras timing of your existing modules is really unusually tight.it will be hard to find any pc2 4200 to match that.

6. Dorin

Dorin Active Member

GPU:
    MSI nVidia GeForce 8600GT
    Core2Duo Allendale/Conroe = 1066 / 4 = 266MHz FSB. 266x2 = 533Mhz = you need PC4300 for above CPU, higher rating or known good overclocking ICs if you want headroom to overclock.[/QUOTE]

so if I'll buy a 6600 core2duo I need PC4300?
    and if I want to overclock to 333 fsb I need a DDR2-667?
    what for are the ddr2-1000?

7. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    If you run everything at stock, then they'll do.

However, most people will use ddr2-800 at stock cpu & fsb, using the 3:2 (ram:fsb) divider.

If you wish to overclock, good ddr2-800 or above is what i'd recommend

You should refer to the basic overclocking guides here for more info

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  8. vartkes

vartkes Member

Can the Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G be overclocked?

I'm new at overclocking so is the ram effected when the cpu is overclocked?

9. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    Not always, but usually yes.

10. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750

11. Stevo^

Stevo^ Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870
    <----------I have the spec as it says left.

Would the timings 3-4-4-8, 2.5-3-3-5, or 2-3-3-6 be most ideal for me, I use my machine mainly for Gaming, and Video editing etc...

Which would be

a) The most powerful?
    b)The most expensive in a 2GB kit (2 x 1024mb)

Cheers

12. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    2 3 3 6 are the best timings out of the few you gave.

I take it you're looking at a couple of kits then?

Please post what kits they are with a link to each.

Timings are also dependant on what speed the ram is intended to run.

i.e. the 2 3 3 6 kit could be DDR400(200Mhz), but the 3 4 4 8 kit could be DDR500 (250Mhz)

Ideally, you want a good kit of DDR400 with 2 2 2 5 timings.

13. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I started reading the original posts for this thread and noticed it was written in 2004. I've stopped reading for now at the beginning of Wilds second post, which covers overclocing RAM, but since it is so old I am not sure if the information is still considered up to date. Should I continue reading or would a more recent guide serve as a better learning tool? I'm building my first rig and before starting to read this guide knew virtually nothing about RAM other than "Corsair ROCKS" which I'm questioning now thanks to the post :D.

14. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yes it was originally written in 2004 but has been revised many, many times since then. Look for the "last edited by..." message at the bottom of the posts.

Everything in the guide still applies, all the generic info still applies to the RAM thats around today. All the "how does this work", overclocking methods, all the timings, how to shop for ram etc, that stuff, is all the same. It's just that all the specifics on certain modules/mainboards were written for 939/DDR rather than the 775/DDR2 that's at the high-end today. That's why I added a post at the end about Micron DDR2 in particular.

I haven't seen a more comprehensive guide on the web although there probably is one. This one won't be updated anymore. I know Ive said that before and then updated it but I dont even have a desktop PC anymore so thats that really.

Good to hear it's helping you anyway, that was always the intention as I just wrote down everything I had in my head. :)

15. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    The guide is still VERY relevant.

Fact is, there's little in the difference (to most users) between DDR & DDR2, even when overclocking.

DDR2 essentially runs at the same speed as DDR, its the mega transfers per second thats doubled, so all the info on overclocking and dividers is essentially the same, you just double up the final number (in simple terms).

Wildstyle, where's your rig gone?

16. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Very glad to hear it is current. It was such a good read I couldn't help but finish reading it last night. It has helped me to understand RAM a lot better. I'm still having issue on picking out RAM for my new gaming rig. The timings really throw me off :(. I really appreciate the guide though and am very sorry to hear your no longer have a Desktop PC.

I've already started another thread with my questions so I wont duplicate it here, would have posted here but wasn't sure if Wild was still around, but if anybody wants to shed some light on my troubles it would be most appreciated.

Core 2 Duo + New RAM = Confusion X_X

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  17. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Sold it out of my own choice. I've had very little interest in hardware for a long time now, so I finally bit the bullet and sold my PC because I now pursue other hobbies & interests, and have less time in general. So if you fancy continuing to help anybody that posts in this thread, Dublin_Gunner, that'd be most appreciated mate. Right, enough about me.. lol.

18. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

Happens to us all at some point I suppose!!

I'll keep an eye on the thread anyway. It doesnt get that many posts these days, but I still recommend it to folks looking for guides.

19. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    The thread was extremely helpful to me. Only thing I think it was missing was a more in depth section for people looking for quality RAM that plan to run it at stock speeds. After reading the guide I wasn't sure if I should just go with Value RAM, if the timings were important at all, or if the chips that came on the RAM were significant since I would be running at stock. After some questions being answered by the fine folks over in the General Hardware section of Guru3D, I was ready to purchase :D.

20. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Genreally, if you're running at stock, even value ram should be fine, but value ram from a known brand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.