Steam Machines Prototype Details Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Valve has announced the specs of their 300 Prototypes they are sending out.The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components: GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760...

Steam Machines Prototype Details Revealed

2. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    The question is, how expensive it will be, considering those are all new graphics cards and some of the cpus

3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I can´t see a unit with a titan being cheap. I´m actually surprised to see a titan on this thing. :nerd:

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The price needs to attractive for people to buy. So something in the region of £200/$300 price point, otherwise it's not going to sell.

5. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'd be surprised if they get even anywhere close to £200/$300 for these things given the specs. I reckon all of the examples mentioned will be over £600.

6. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    As far as i remember it is supposed to be standard PC under Steam logo. I doubt that the weakest options will cost less than £300 just to play some indy games.
    I would not invest my money in this.

7. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I'm surprised that they're using full sized video cards. A Titan has to be pretty close to the size of a compact HTPC just on it's own.

I take it this means that we can expect a Steambox that is slightly larger than an fat style 360? Unless of course they manage to shrink down all that horsepower into something closer to a Wii/WiiU. Then again, maybe I'm clueless and this was never supposed to be a compact PC. :)

I'm guessing in the $800 range as well for the Titan equivalent. Unless they made one hell of a deal with Nvidia. Maybe $500 for a less powerful model. I guess it all comes down to how much they can talk the manufacturers down. :)

8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high...considering that they have to fit a psu in there aswell(unless its external) its gonna be mini itx or similar or maybe a titan m chip for laptops.

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    A Titan costs about $1000 dollars on it's own, let alone the CPU/motherboard/enclosure & everything else, so I don't see how they would be able to sell the Titan system for anything like $800. They have to make money on these right, rather than sell them for a loss.

10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    They are testing the different levels of computing power to see how it affects user experience...

11. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I don't see how they can sell them for ~$800 either but if they do go down the $1000+ route I think the only people that will want to buy one are the same people that get suckered into buying enthusiast PCs. But I guess that's the big dilemma surrounding these miniature gaming PCs.

I mean, I really want to see them succeed because this could really benefit the video game market if done properly but I just don't see it happening if the only people willing to buy them are a particular type of enthusiast.

I'm probably just over-speculating about something I don't know much about and I should probably just wait until the final product is out. :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Home console market seems pretty stable.

No need to mess with:

360 - frat boys and general gamers
    PS3 - see above plus playstation fans
    Nintendo stuff - kids first console plus Nintendo fans
    Xbox one - w/e
    Ps4 - preorders indicate greatness
    PC - anything from enthusiasts/technophiles to low budget home pc users
    Mobile/tablets - casual gamers/mobile time killers

Steambox - not replacing any of the above in any way shape or form.

;

It can be built by anyone
    Its controller is no better than any console
    Its internet connection is the same as any other device and it's not mobile
    Its game will be no better than any other device

Completely totally and utterly pointless system, created by a company that got lucky with a few games and then lost all connection with its customer base.

What are they goin' to make next? A toaster?

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yep, I agree with those points you made, I don't think you're over-speculating!

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Controller looks interesting though: two touchpads. I can see how that might be more accurate than a traditional game pad, but I still think mouse & keyboard would be even faster & more accurate, but that wouldn't fit with Steam's view of trying to infiltrate the living room.

15. Esbornia

Esbornia Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7990
    I wonder if I'll be able to have a Steam Machine with AMD hardware. If not, no Steam Machine for me. Those hybrid SSHDs are too expensive for what they offer as well.

16. Satin_Knight

Satin_Knight Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    I have a feeling that Steam Prototype will range from $400 to $800 US dollars.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Be well expensive, Titans alone are £800+ plus here in the UK.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't think this will be at a lower cost considering it's almost a ******ing box, but I also don't think that Steam's steambox is aimed at budget. This is why it's open to other companies creating these, also aside from ******ing games there will be titles that are ran native on the machine and not ******ed. That's where Steam's version will pick up it's forte.

19. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I don't think Valve want Beta users to be frustrated by iffy framerates in their favorite games. Pamper them, get decent user experiences with constructive criticism and by the time the box comes out, a mid end Maxwell should be slightly faster and use 30-50W less power.

20. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Stupid. This is why the there is so much debt int he world. Kids beg and plead with there parents to get one of these, which will be prolly 1500 $, then they will also want a ps4/xbox 1 plus there normal every day pc, there laptop there ipad, there new cell phone and maybe if they are lucky there nvidia shield. :puke2: How many gaming/electronics does do we need on the market.

/rant off.:bugeye:

This is just unrealistic.. If it has a titan gpu it will have to be well over $2k.