New card advice 7870 vs 7950

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by shimyns, Apr 11, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    dunno. I would contact them and see if they can get one in for you.

2. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Hey guys, just to be sure, these are the two cards we're talkin about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161429

Looks like the Vapor-X is back in stock. If it's the most highly recommended, why is it $40 less than the other? Just curious.

Thanks!

Oh, and another important question! My PSU has one 6-pin and one 8-pin connector. That'll work for the HIS but the Vapor-X apparently needs two 8-pin connectors...

Advice on this?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  3. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    ^ These connectors came with my PSU. What do you think? Funny, it seems that for Vapor-X, there are some that need 6/8 pin and some that need 8/8 pin connectors. According to newegg, this model looks like it's a 6/8 pin one but who knows what I'd actually get.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  4. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    They both have 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin connectors. The Vapor X is the better of the 2. If its on sale for less then get it.

5. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    The only PCI connection option that I've seen on all 7950's are either 6x6 or 6x8. I don't believe they make a 8x8 connector.

Those are 8 pin connectors you have. I don't know if they'll work on 6 pin connections. If there's room they extra 2 pins may be able to hang outside of the plug???

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    New revision vapor-x has 8+8

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    AND unlocked voltage! FANTASTIC card!

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    still can't get 1500mhz on my memory. core clocks well, I can get 1200+mhz but memory is pissing me off.

9. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, so the newer version of the Vapor-X 7950 has two 8-pin connectors. The one that is sold on newegg is specified as having one 6-pin and one 8pin.

But I don't know if I could count on that and end up receiving the "better", two 8-pin version, which would not be compatible with my PSU, which has one 6-pin and one 8-pin.

And my question was if it would be trustworthy to use either of the two adapters that came with my card, in order to facilitate that second 8-pin connection.

In any case, the Vapor-X is now, again, SOLD OUT on newegg.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  10. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    My PSU has one 6-pin plug and one 8-pin plug, both of which are currently running my 4870x2. If I were to get a card that need two 8-pin plugs, I'd need to convert the 6-pin into an 8-pin (using the adapter shown on the left side of my pic) or use two 3-pin molex connectors (shown on the right side of my pic) to generate a second 8-pin plug.

I guess some would say go for it and others would say it's a bad idea. IDK why PSU's supply these adapters if it's not considered to be a trustworthy solution...

11. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Thanks bro, didn't know.

12. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    What kind of memory? my 7950 has hynix and it likes high clocks, havent test it for max clock but i set it to 1600 on gaming and 1700 on benchmarks. Doesn't really make a big impact so I wouldn't worry too much about it :D

13. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Well your PSU is enough to run it. I wouldn't worry about it. just make sure you're not overloading any one 12v rail if you have multiple rails.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    don't know if it's hynix. and don't feel like taking the cooler off to check. I wouldn't gain much from a higher memory oc anyway, but I still want 1200/1600 ( I can do 1200 on the core no problem)

15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    hows your memory voltage? still limited regardless of bumping it?

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah those Hynixes clock pretty well.

Hey clap, some text I found:
    Not sure on it's viability though, as you've already applied some extra voltage to that memory and so on.. so it's not gonna work out? Unless that bios enhances memory capability or whatever (lol).

Anyways here's the link to the bios: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/127533/Sapphire.HD7950.3072.120907.html I wouldn't be surprised if you've already tried it or see it unfit for use. :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm. I'll try that I think. cheers for the link mate. although my stock bios has 1.6v for memory. but I'll try the one you linked, thanks. I'll post back this afternoon with results.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Be sure to post a pic of your fried VRAMs :nerd:

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Tried that bios guys but the pc wouldn't even post with it so had to switch back to the stock bios. will try another bios now and post back.

EDIT: ok, so I was flashing the boost bios (where the led glows blue) and after the first flash the pc refused to even post, so I tried to flash back the bios I backed up previously (from the other bios position) and it still doesn't post or do anything with that bios selected. The other bios on the card, that I've been using until now works fine. hmmm. Could it be that that bios is read only? I don't want to flash the bios position that works just in case something goes wrong and then I have both positions bricked.

EDIT: so, the blue led position bios isn't read only, managed to find the exact bios that position came with and flashed it ok so I have both positions back working now. That tells me that the bios Deathchild linked bricked my bios haha, even when it did say it was for the Vapor-x Boost.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    right, have some feedback.

position 1 on the card had bios 113-210PBBBG-V07
    position 2 on the card had bios 113-210PBBBG-V08

I've been using position 1 since day one. before flashing bios today, I backed up bios 1 because it worked fine until now. so I went to flash bios 2 with that bios Deathchild linked, no good, monitor doesn't turn on, no post. Managed to find the exact bios that position used before (V08) and flashed it, all good.

Then I tried to flash position 1 with that bios Deathchild linked, same problem. so I thought I have the original bios backed up so I'll just flash that back and be done with it. It didn't work, again, monitor didn't power on... So I tried a couple of other bioses and same problem. Then I decided to flash back the bios from the other position (V08) and it works.

So now both positions work fine, but it seems that every time I try a bios that wasn't originally on the card the thing fails to boot. Every bios flash was successful btw so that's weird.