Picked up a 7970 Gigabyte OC edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kill007, May 4, 2012.

1. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    due to website pricing error i got it for $50 cheaper, came out to be 499AUD lol..
    wanted to get the 680gtx but it is so hard to find one, not the stock cooler ones...

Just installed 3dmark11 to test
    P8984 3DMarks

Which is good, i checked hexus and they have P7256, so the o/c drivers have helped a lot

using official 12.4

i did hear a annoying 'coil' noise....i am hoping its just a new card or something..ill have to monitor that.

ok now to uninstall 3dmark and game away!..BF3!!

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think coil noise is there wherever your want it or not. It happens when your card outputs many hundred FPS (e.g. when in a game menu or loading screen). This can be fixed by using Vsync in all games, otherwise just live with it since it should not be noticeable during gameplay since the card then outputs "normal" fps (1-150 depending on the game).

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Coil noise is being reduced through drivers. It's a young series of card. Not even with us a full year.

I've noticed less and less noise with every new driver. I know most people think that if you get a card with noise that it's there to stay, but my experience with this has proven otherwise.

4. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    what is coil noise? Ive never noticed coil noise?

I do have loud fans that might overpower noises...

anyways i did a youtube search on coil noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYIPp9Wa9o8

is that what your looking for? I'll have to listen closely to see if I have that noise...

There is a new BIOS update for your video card "F2" version i dont know if bios updates help the situation or not...

5. Hunter2

Hunter2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 3Gig