1st Witcher 2 review is IN!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sAAdC, May 11, 2011.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The GoG unlocking at '7 was a bit of a mis-communication it would seem, it's in the evening from what I understood of their discussion on the forums, not morning.

EDIT: Ubersampling is how I understood it from the readme (Quoted earlier.) a form of SSAA but it should also cover texture clarity supposedly, renders the frame/scene several times (2x by default, I set it down to only one additional sample to greatly improve performance.) but it's very demanding.

And some last screens of the prologue, I found this new weapon funny.
    (As a tip try to explore everywhere, I probably missed one or two things myself but there's a lot to discover as some of the earlier images posted show.)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

EDIT: Darren the GoG files are up, copy the link of the manual download (You need to download everything if you used the downloader though.) and swap the number from 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 (The five binaries.) to 5 and 6 (exe and final .bin file.)

EDIT: Seems the downloader might be OK too now.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. brandonspikes

brandonspikes Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    Ultra Settings, with Ubersampling on
    http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1880/witcher2ultraubersampli.png
    Ultra Settings, no US
    http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/9642/witcher2ultranoubersamp.png
    High Preset
    http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/8931/witcher2high.png
    Medium Preset
    http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/6386/witcher2medium.png
    Low Preset
    http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/5871/witcher2low.png

System specs,
    MSI Gtx 560TI,900-1800-2100
    i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz
    8GB DDR3 Ram
    1920x1080p Rez
    Nvidia Drivers 266.66, 270.61 makes the game unstable and single digit FPS.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks, Jonas. Seems I had to restart GOGDownloader.exe otherwise it just stupidly stays there. Not impressed with the lack of instructions though on how to download and install this game. Wish I'd just stuck with the retail version now.

Bah... what a whinger, eh? Whatever, should be able to play it in a few minutes. :D

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Argh... a few more agonising minutes as the downloaded files have to be combined. Come on, Core i7, you're quicker than that!!!

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Today we will witness total steam breakdown when witcher 2 gets released. LOL

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This file combining is frustrating. It's done 5 GB after 10 minutes or so, still another 5 GB to go...

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Oh great... how do I install this game? The file combine thing worked successfully and an Install button appeared on the GOGDownloader window but clicking on it does nothing. I can't find the files either, just the five BIN files I'd downloaded last night. And, yes, the GOGDownloader has the download folder set as E:\Downloads.

What do I do? Help!

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you tried to reboot, then install again ? you never know.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I found the files in the My Documents/GOG.com Downloader/Witcher_2 folder and am now currently installing the game albeit very slowly as it had to do another integrity check. I'm not impressed at all by the lack of installation instructions on GOG.com nor the fact that the INSTALL button doesn't even work on the Downloader! How on earth is the average person supposed to know what to do? I'll be sticking with retail discs after this I think as at least they just work!

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Let know what framerate you get with The Witcher 2, WhiteLightning, as our setups are very similar only you have 1 GHz higher overclock on the CPU. Thanks.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Very bizarre that the difference between Ultra and Low is a mere 11 fps, especially given the huge contrast in the quality of the graphics!!!

12. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    LOL Thats even funnier than the drunk camera from GTA IV!

"Srry sir, your game installation has ben PWNED by our DRM system, have a nice day :) (your "Documents" foder too btw) "

13. brandonspikes

brandonspikes Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    Yup, however I bet with new Nvida drivers my FPS would go up AT LEAST 20%.

The game is unplayable for me at anything higher than medium as the framerate jumps around too much.

14. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Any idea if this supports multiple camera modes like the first part? I somehow can't find any clue..
    http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Camera_Movement

I so wanted to play this, but I hate the 3rd person "OTS" mode, and I wanted to do it in the "isometric" mode :(

15. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    You're joking pal :D 41 fps on ultra is still smooth :)

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    FINALLY got the game installed at 8:35am so only had ten minutes to try it. Cranked the settings to Ultra and disabled UberSampling and once the game had loaded switched the controls to Gamepad. Framerate in the opening cutscene where Geralt is running through the forest dipped to 36 fps but was otherwise smooth and once the game switched to the dungeon it was hitting 60 fps even during the dialogue scene that followed. In the Prologue, which is where you get to sample the combat/gameplay I was getting between 45 and 60 fps, which is damn impressive considering I hadn't enabled triple buffering at that point.

I have to say that even from the all-too-brief first look that I could tell this game is a complete labour of love. The graphics are incredible, both technically impressive and beautiful in terms of art design; my jaw dropped several times during the pans of the castle alone so I can't wait to see what else is in store! The voice-acting is brilliant too and I just want to soak every millisecond of the game world. As mentioned earlier I opted to play with the Xbox 360 controller and the game even shows the buttons required which is outstanding IMO considering this is currently an exclusive PC game. The controllers work a treat so far - combat feels especially good with it - so I doubt I'll ever use the mouse and keyboard.

Two things struck me about the game though. One, the graphical options outside of the game and, two, the spot on implementation of the Xbox 360 controller suggest a game that was definitely designed with future console versions in mind. Not that that would be a criticism for many, it's just that I was surprised that the Graphical Options aren't available from within the game as it makes tweaking the settings somewhat cumbersome as you can imagine. Fortunately for me the graphics look terrific on Ultra at 1920x1200 so I'll leave them as they are for now.

I'm currently at work but I cannot wait to dash home at noon and play this game properly.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    YESSS!!! Thank u very much for this and wishing a good day at job mate !

18. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Not got much time to play W2 today but my first impressions are nothing short of gobsmacked. The sheer technical level of excellence on offer even with just one patch is rather amazing. The world in general even on just medium is truly something else. The combat obviously takes some getting used to but using signs, timing attacks, delivering kill strokes etc quickly becomes second nature once again.

In just one single village area I was able to enter pretty much 95% of the houses for orens and general loot. Every single area is just begging to be explored in full which is precisely what most of us were hoping for. Moral choices come into play very early on also and in just one single scenario I went from being a saviour to being called a bastard after I demanded money for my well timed assistance. ^_^

If I have one single criticism right now (amongst the praise) it's that having no graphic options while in the game aside from brightness is rather frustrating. There's a vast amount to play around with however, more so than any other PC game I can remember. So be sure to have the game running as you want prior to launching.

Can't wait for you guys to start playing it.

edit: If current online/mag reviews are based on outdated code lord knows what an updated version will get.

19. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I always thought 'ubersampling' is just another name for Super Sampling.

20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    you guys making me very jealous right now :(