Retail Steam Machine Prototype

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    iBuyPower revealed their own prototype box for their own upcoming Steam Machine. Keep in mind that various manufacturers will be allowed to make their own devices and iBuyPower is one of them. Their u...

Retail Steam Machine Prototype

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I have a Steam machine that's not a prototype. I use it everyday to look at pictures of cats and play video games.

3. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    I hope they drop this Steam console ****, we play on Steam because we love PCs, if we wanted consoles we would buy them. All this does is takes the best thing about the PC away and will probably bring in a whole new market of noobs to ruin our online games. Having a barrier to entry is good, it is why subscription based MMOs always have better communities than F2P, you weed out the noobs.

Soon Steam will turn PC gaming into Android and the whole platform will be ruined.

4. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    I agree....I don't understand this at all....they cant really expect to make money on these...I mean people will just buy console or a descent PC?

Im not a business consultant or anything...but I sure could find a several more innovative idea...just give me sometime...

This however like stated above is a step backwards imo for PC gaming...:bang:

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If they make it in Steam colors/decals with that led beeing whatever color the user wants it to be, it will look really, really neat. :nerd:

6. Jahooba

Jahooba Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    The genius of a SteamBox console is that the price of new and more powerful hardware will drop as time goes on.

It won't be advantageous to buy a SteamBox for a couple more years, when buying one at $500 gives you far more power than a console by Microsoft or Sony.

By the time the XBone and Playstation 4 hit the end of their life-cycle the SteamBox should have hardware that is an order of magnitude more powerful at that same $500 price point.

But, none of that matters if the PC gaming market falls flat because developers ignore it in favor of consoles. It's way too early to tell which way this will all swing, but I hope the SteamBox fosters constructive competition in the industry.

7. PhoBos82

PhoBos82 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    This is what the Xbox one should have looked like. Whoever works in the design department at Microsoft needs to be fired

8. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Hmmm...

You forget that price of X1 and PS4 will come down over time just like now. Sony is selling PS4 with zero profit so if Valve wants to do anything more powerful at the same price point they just cannot. They cannot afford to make loss with the devices.

SteamBox is just a result of Gabe's rage over MS for entering the apps market. But only thing I can see SteamBox doing is to further fragment PC gaming which will be good for consoles and Valve just ending up with niche console sales and loosing the current PC market it has.

If MS is smart they will merge W8 and XBOX gaming and easily create the biggest gaming platform. But we all know MS is so stupid these days :)

9. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    You guys are forgetting that valve is probably targetting those people that would like a pc, but think they are too expensive. aka people who buy HP pc's in best buy and the likes.

Not to mention, people who really aren't in computers would have to research a lot to try and build a gaming pc for $500 dollars, and then would have no clue how to piece together, get it running etc..

Think of this as a cheap, friendly step for those who want to play on pc but either think pc costs too much or think it's too complicated to get standalone parts and put it all together.

I for one, love the steambox idea, as this means 13+ year old kids can finally start playing more pc games, and hopefully this bring more awareness and popularity to the pc back.

10. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3

Yeah lets merge windows 8 and Xbox gaming, GFWL 2.0 ..... that would be a great idea .....

I remember someone saying something about horrible warnings.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Is the green one when it's working, and the other one the RSoD (Red Stripe of Death) ?

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm not sure I understand the opposition to this. From what I can tell, this will not effect PC as it stands at all. And if we are lucky, those sick of the typical console experience that want a easy to use open gaming machine will get a steam box. It may be a small change, but I can only see it helping PC gaming as it will no longer be exclusive to people tech-savvy enough (I'm sure we have all had a hand full of games that required a few hours of googleing to get working correctly). $500 is also a spot on price.

13. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    thats really close to the same spec that the current consoles have, with enough developer support this could be huge. Open source always wins in the end.

14. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    The difference between this and a PC is that the box has SteamOS pre-installed and one can only stream Windows games through it, because it can't run them by itself. Meaning, you still need another PC for those.

15. Govinda

Govinda New Member

GPU:
    Kingston 2GB
    Steam will soon be obsolite, as soon as Microsoft starts to distribute games through Windows Store (at least I think that's what is called). Mantle could be a game changer for linux, but as I remember so was 3Dfx Glide. And what games were there for linux?

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    There are a few reasons why people are cynical about this.

The main one is that nearly every PC gamer would stick with their present way of gaming, while console gamers would only consider a Steambox if it had a good amount of SteamOS exclusive games.

It's hard to see who the market is.

Hardcore PC gamers hate the idea dye to the fact they are worried it could be a success and those who game on monitors and use mouse/kb are ignored in favour of the big TV UI and game pad controls.

Casuals will also end up feeling ripped off by these systems when they find out the majority of past and present games don't work.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its a sandwich, 2 slices of bread, with either ham or lettuce in the middle :p

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I like that anyone is competing with $ony and Micro$haft. We've all learned the hard way that having just 2 "competitors" (lol yeah right) in any market is a disaster. I hope that Valve picks up steam with this endeavour.

19. Gibbonlimbs

Gibbonlimbs Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 4GB Jet****** SLI
    Another word for cat is????

:)

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Valve is not competing with MS or Sony, they are not in the same league when it comes to making a console.

All Valve will achieve is weakening the PC brand and making the real consoles look even better.