Lapping i7 results

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by chiefmasterjedi, Jan 20, 2009.

1. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2xEVGA GTX260 core216
    Hi all,

I mentioned on here before Christmas that I would post my results once I lapped my i7. I lapped my cpu on December 28th but it's taken my lazy ass this long to follow up with the results. Please note that the room temperature is still the same (70 degrees F) on both the pre-lap pictures and the after lapping pictures and in both instances the computer had been switched on for about 2 hours. Only differences I see is in the first pics I only had 83 processes running in task manager but in the after pics that is now 89 processes. This wont effect the results and if anything should show a slightly higher idle temp.

Anyway, here we go...............first pictures are my system at idle and then at full load (full load only held for 30 seconds, for testing purposes)

IDLE
    [​IMG]

LOAD
    [​IMG]

Now the next set of pictures are the lapping stage, all shot with some spare DDR2 memory as a back drop so you can see the mirror effect better. First picture is after a few minutes with 800 grit sand paper, notice how high the middle of the processor is?

[​IMG]

This was taken after I finished with the 800 grit and spent another 5 minutes with 1000 grit

[​IMG]

This next picture was taken after a few minutes of 1500 grit

[​IMG]

This is the last lapping picture after about 5 minutes with 2000 grit sandpaper

[​IMG]

Well lets see if all the work was worth the effort.

IDLE AFTER LAPPING

[​IMG]

LOAD AFTER LAPPING (only loaded for 30 seconds, just for testing purposes)

[​IMG]

As you can see a huge difference and well worth the 30-45 minutes work. As pointed out above, there is a big time difference from when I lapped to when I tested, sorry about that but as mentioned the ambient room temp is the same.
    The idle temps didn't change by a whole lot which is expected but the load temps are night and day.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    The load pic after lapping isnt working for me ;/

edit; now it is. Good drops!!

3. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    Sorry fixed my bad link.

Something else I noticed, in the load pic before lapping cpu-z was showing a drop on the multiplier from 21 to 20. In the load pic after lapping it lowered it to 20.5. I will do a test now for a few minutes to see if this is due to a thermo/current throttle.

4. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    I just ran prime95 for about 5 minutes and temps never went over 72 on any core and the multi didn't drop below 20.5. So it looks like the lower temps are stopping the multi drop on full load, so even more of a bonus. This probably accounts for my better benchmarking scores after I lapped.

5. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    very nice job those i7 clocks very nicely

6. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Sorry wrong post

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    Good job man...I don't know if I could bring myself to lap a new i7 quite yet. (too scared of ****ing it up) But this has inspired me to maybe try with my E8500...:nerd:

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Nice temp drops. I considered lapping my E8400 but got talked out if it, now I'm not so sure....:D

9. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    I've lapped several cpu's now. AMD 4000+ AMD FX60 Intel E6600 Intel Q6600 and now this i7. The i7 gave the best results because the IHS was so convex so I was not getting full contact between chip and heatsink. All my other chips have been concave.

As for being worried about messing things up, i've never given that much thought, as long as you know what you need to do and have the tools (sandpaper), patients and time to do it, it's a no brainer. Plus i've never had any problem selling my old chips on ebay and i've always stated that they were lapped and gave a link to what lapping is, in case the buyer didn't know.

10. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    You have me hooked. I'll probably lap my E8500 soon and buy a TRUE 120...the Xigmatek I have can't really be lapped I don't think, with the direct-touch heatpipes it has.

On second thought...maybe I'll wait till I go water-cooled before doing that. Even at the current 4.18GHz/1.272v, the proc only gets to 68C on both cores during Linpack testing.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Nice temp difference for sure, but I do want to stress that lapping is NOT gauranteed to give you drops. I lapped my 6600 that I had a while ago and literally I had NO change whatsoever.
    If you are diehard wanting to do it go for it, but it will void your warranty naturally, and you always have the ability of messing up your chip.

Just a word of warning for those avid lappers out there ;)

12. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    My 6600 didn't change temps much either after lapping and as you have stated it voids your warranty but the chances of messing up your chip are very slim "IF" you use your common sense. I'm sure sanding away at your chip with 40 grit sandpaper will end up lower your bank balance and ending your marriage.
    After all this is "Die-hard Overclocking". I'm still very surprised that cpu manufacturers like Intel, who can place 2,000 transistors within the width of a human hair can't get the heatsink flatter than I can with sandpaper!

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ definitely.. I just wanted to make that point since a lot of people will jump in the pool before testing the water.
    You got balls to do it with a brand new I7, but hey it worked out nicely for you. At least with your load temps :)
    Maybe the I7s have some better results with lapping over the older core2s.. whos knows heh

14. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    ^ I should have added a warning in my first post, because everyone jumping on the band wagon is not a good idea. I didn't really think about that.

If your thinking about lapping a cpu for the first time, there are some thing you need to consider. First question is do you really need to lap? if your core 2 duo or core 2 quad is under 65 degrees full load at it's 24/7 operating frequency then the answer is NO. Second is can you afford another cpu if you mess things up?
    Another thing to consider with the i7 is switching HT off in the bios, the i7 is fast enough without it and most apps/games don't use 4 threads let alone 8 threads! Turning off HT will lower temps by about 10 degrees.
    If your like me and really want to push the limits of your OC but temps are holding you back then lapping can help but it's not guaranteed. If you decide to take the plunge then do a search on google and find a good tutorial, better still find several good tutorials on how to lap a cpu. the are some good ones on youtube too if you don't feel like reading.

But remember it is a risk, just like adding water cooling is if you don't do it properly.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  15. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    I think i'm going to try that, but before i'll train with some older coolers processor (yyay, should I lap a pentium mmx? ahuahhauhua)

nice results, seems a good thing to do if you know how!

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I think I got like 3C drop when I did mine, I was pretty disappointed after wasting so much time doing it too. It was quite surprising as the IHS was really convex; why can't Intel make nice flat surfaces like AMD...

17. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    because intel don't price their cpu enough for that /o/

at least you have some new color for your processor ;p (or a mirrorf for your mobo, if you reached that point)

18. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    the price of a i7 920 is only a few £ more than a Q9550 which wont bother me price wise, it starts building up with the mobo and the ram since there still way expensive, Cheapest mobo £190-£200 cheapest 3x2gb (1600mhz) ive seen is around £160-£170 mark. Sorry if im wrong on some of those price due to price changes.
    But im saying this because ive been contemplating on going for i7 core instead of the Q9550, but saying that i may keep with the Q9550 idea untill price go down =].
    But to be back on topic, i must say thats pushing a 10c drop if im right, thats amazing. You lapped your cooler as well? if so what cooler do you have?

19. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    No I didn't lap the cooler. I have a Swiftech GTZ water block which has a mirror finish when shipped and the way I see it if it has a mirror finish which shows a reflection that isn't warped then it's pretty flat, you can also test it to some degree with a razer blade. Anyway, the water block is flat.

20. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    WOW, well done, that is definently worth the time; and to have the i7 o@ 4.2 is crazy good.