Planning on buying a Powercolor AXR9 290 4GB GDDR5 no/yes???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by saberwolf, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Why didn't you get the 290?

2. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    Apologizes for taking so long too get back at this thread.

Have not had the opportunity to really sit down with my new system due to work an other personal related issues.

But for the past month I have had time to really get some hads on with my system/GFX card regarding the topic (GPU overclocking) at hand.

@AsiJu
    I've noticed that you said I should start out at 1100 as a base clock for my GPU.

Problem is... I can't seem to push my R9 290x past

GPU clock: 175

MEM clock: 135

Using Sapphire TRIXX with out experiencing instability (Game/System Crashes :micro: ) when playing high demanding games like Crysis 3 or Battlefield.

:bang:

Where as my card starts out at (as shown in my Sapphire TRIXX screenshot from my previous post)

GPU clock: 140

MEM clock: 130

at stock :eek2:

Would this current instability be based my PSU?

Like you have mentioned Rails feeding my card?

Or is this time to start upping the voltage using the Sapphire TRIXX VDDC offset an the Power Limit utility?

I am baffled that I just can't get to get my card to sit right @1100+ which gaming :bang:

Other than that... the card has been fairly cool, my TRI-X R9 290x does not exceed 64 Celsius under heavy load.

Fan noise is a bit bothersome at times when they are ramped past 65%

I thought about it after the fact... too late now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ overclock the GPU only at first, don't touch the memory freq yet.

With R9 cards the memory voltage scales with the core voltage, so even a slight memory overclock requires upping the VDDC.

You really should be able to hit 1100 on the core with stock voltage. However, if you just can't, then try increasing the VDDC by +25 - +50 mV.

After 1100 you can keep pushing further, upping the VDDC as you go in small steps if necessary.

With luck you'll do 1200+ on the core, but that probably requires anything betrween +100 - +200 mV VDDC.

Also set the Power Limit to +50 % before any overclocking to prevent throttling issues.

4. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    As of right now I am sitting at a OC of (an that's without it being under load)

[​IMG]

I set the power limit too 50+ like you said

I followed @gerardfraser remarks in this thread, regarding his overclocks with his R9

Code:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393021
    Current ran Crysis 3 for about 20 mins or so... ran well at those clock speeds, did not experience any instability or crash, but need to futher test it for about a hour or so of heavy gaming.

Also ran FurMark @1080p 15min burn test, no negitive feed back regarding the above OC that I have locked in.

Guess I will need at least a few dats too a week to fully see if this OC is stable.

Question: can you give a brief run down as too what the VDDC offset an the Power Limit achieve?

An when should I be concern that a bad OC is damaging my card?

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ VDDC is the voltage fed to the GPU core, or more precisely the additional (offset) voltage.

Power Limit is the threshold value after which the GPU starts downclocking.
    It's basically a "sum" of current capability and temperature, if either is exceeded, throttling (=downclocking) kicks in.
    Hence increasing it when OC'ing is a good idea.

BTW that's a solid OC, I can't run FurMark stable at those speeds.

Do monitor the temperatures though. Also try if you could decrease the VDDC a bit and still keep system stable/artefact free at 1200 core.
    Or you may try going even further with your OC with the +200 mV offset if everything's indeed fine at this point.

Feel free to try and increase the memory clock further, your added voltage allows you to max the memory too.

PS: I wouldn't recommend running the card 24/7 at +200 mV voltage.
    The VRM temps are +100 degrees centigrade with that voltage according to my overclocking findings.

100 degrees I think is the absolute maximum VRM temperature that can be accepted and it's not good for continuous use.

You can use a tool called GPU-Z for monitoring VRM temps if you like.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014