Dead Island Stuttering.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Hi,

Any tips on making this game run without hideous stuttering ?

1080p
    VSYNC ON
    60hz

have tried using afterburner ot limit frame rate to 60, which solves stuttering a large portion of games.

Have also tried disabling internet as I read on one forum

Saw a youtube video which claimed stuttering and was shocked it was not stuttering it was epic pauses for seconds (thats not stuttering, thats like pausing the game, scratching ur ass, and unpausing it) I hate that everybodys idea of stuttering is so different.

To clarify, my PC is fine, I play BF3 and just cause 2 perfectly, no stutters.

2. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Hello there

I own Dead Island since the first day and at first, I had no stuttering at all with the game until they patched it the day after launch. The first build was supposedly the "developer" build and just by pressing 'J' we were enabling NoClip and FlyMode...aaa well... Since the patches, they introduced the stuttering and they never fixed it!: Way to go !

From what I know, if you have the same stuttering as me and my friends, this is caused by the keyboard repeating key strokes.

---> Try playing with a Xbox controller which should fix any stuttering associated with the characters' movements.

---> Or to alleviate the problem still using the keyboard and mouse, download the "Dead Island Helper tool" found in this thread:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114535

It's just an .exe
    Run this tool before playing Dead Island

This tool's icon will be in the task bar--> RightClick on it --> go to "Keyboard and Mouse" menu --> check "Fix micro-stuttering (prevent keystroke repetition)"
    This alleviate A LOT the stutters, but not completely. It still stutters when you press many buttons at the same time: Ex: Forward + Right at the same time... but in dead island, you can run just by pressing Sprint one time and just holding forward alone. So try that, try not to press all the keys together or play with the controller, which produce perfectly fluid movements.

3. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Thanks very much for this I appreciate it allot, very kind of you to take the time to help out in such detail.

I do only play with the controller, that's the first thing, I also have the DA helper tool, tried that as well, I also tried limiting the FPS to 60, still with no luck, disabling internet for LAN ONLY, or single player mode.

Borderlands, BF3, Just Cause 2, all run with perfect fluidity.

Dead Island is a foul mess, ill look into it some more tomorrow.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Was gona get this in the Steam sale, think ill give it a miss :p

5. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Yes steam sale is what made me think....

problem was, because of these exact issues, I NEVER buy a game without d/l first to test it, never do anymore,ever, however, 20 mins left on sale there was last night at about £6 so I thought well, it's a risk, but so cheap so, ill take that risk, boy, regret is a bitch, don't do it.

Just money down the drain, and allot of time reading and looking into the issue, it's cost allot more than £6 on time alone, with no result.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Hello, I run game at 120Hz LCD with quick response. Not at 120Hz since engine allows me to set only 100Hz.

I decided to check how it plays at 60Hz with default maximum setting (reset of cfg. and set to max in game).
    Well, feeling was really bad, felt like 30fps even while motion blur helps a bit.

I run over dozens of different settings in RadeonPro to find out if it can be improved:
    Advanced - Flip Queue Size manually to - 3
    Tweaks - VSync control - Always On
    Tweaks - Tripple Buffering - On
    Tweaks - Display refresh rate 60Hz (I had to use it to be sure to simulate 60Hz environment)
    Tweaks - Dynamic Frame Control - On
    Tweaks - Keep Up To - 60 fps
    Tweaks - Misc. - CPU Affinity - only 2 cores (since game does not need more)

I believe issue is caused by bad v-sync, because game w/o vsync can render at max settings on HD7970 between 150 and 220fps.
    And with all settings above when I changed DFC from 60 to 120 to test it Stuttering was back.
    Basically settings above are to properly limit fps and to optimize frame queue.

Try all settings above together and write if it helped you.

Edit: And game is really good for that price, so I hope you will be able to solve it.

7. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Thanks allot fox, what is radeon pro? lol I will google it.

8. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Thanks very much again, I tried the settings you suggested and others also, the fact is, the game is a hideous mess, and I won't be playing it, and the lesson of ALWAYS d/l a game before PAYING for it (on PC) has been hammered home, YET AGAIN.

9. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Its a bug in the game when using a K&M better using a game pad removes the stuttering completely.

10. Portman87

Portman87 Member Guru

GPU:
    NITRO RX 480 8GB
    Same problem for me on my old system and the new.On a GTX 460 1GB and AM2+ MB same problem on my current system.Running the game from Dead Island Helper resolve the problem.

11. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    Why? It's a great game. Unlike the OP I have no stuttering issue and neither does my co-op buddy nor anyone else I know who also use AMD GPUs.

12. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    I thought that the game was awful. Just plain awful.

13. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Just be very careful listening to this hulawafu guy, he's very strange, he popped up in my other thread as well, spouting some very obscure scheisse, I would stick to your decision if I was you (I honestly regret wasting the time and money) or wait for it to become VERY cheap. Judging from the guys attitude, I would think he is just one of a large portion of people not perceptive enough to detect the shocking stuttering (which is actually a fairly well known issue in dead island so I am told) he probably also thinks 30fps is 'smooth'

I honestly do NOT KNOW WHY he is targeting me and my threads, it's totally out of the blue, I wish he would go mind his OWN business, and let the kind people of guru3d help me in peace with problems I am having, as i have had some superb help so far, and learned allot about how ot make th emost of my ATI card, which I am very much enjoying - pretty sure the problem is the games, for the most part, and me not knowing enough about ATI 3d party apps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea same for me, I didn't even know there was a stuttering issue with DI, til I Saw this thread, And I use KB&M. The only issue I had with Dead island was performance, but that Dead island helper fixed that for me.

15. crkwhr

crkwhr Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080ti sc2
    It probably has something to do with you complaining about games in 3 separate games in 3 threads and your benchmarking in a 4th. And to boot 2 of the games you have issues with are buggy in the first place with everything DI and Skyrim. And the 3rd is a game I dont know anyone has a problem with amd or nvidia. That is probably why he is annoyed at you.

16. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Something bad is going to happen...

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just loaded this game up on my PC after about a year and I'm seeing abysmal performance which I'm sure I never had before as it ran at 60 fps with v-sync on. I'm using the Xbox 360 controller too but the game feels laggy/stuttery/juddery when moving, like it is 20 fps not 40 fps, and the framerate fluctuates between 32 and 60 fps on the title screen and hovers around 32-45 fps in-game even though the GPU usage across both cards is around 10% and the temps never go above 48 C as a result. It's like something is limiting the performance as even if I look straight up at the sky or down at the floor the framerate can still stay at 32 fps and never goes above 45 fps. I am forcing 8xCSAA using the 0x10C1 flag but even with it disable and no forced AA the game doesn't run any faster at all. Forcing AA should cause a heavier load on the GPUs, right? Here it doesn't. The GPU doesn't boost either, staying at 1,006 MHz, which it nevers does in any game I've played. I'm using the v314.14 beta drivers and wonder if it is the drivers that are the issue.

What is causing this if it isn't the drivers? I'm pretty sure this game was running at over 100 fps without v-sync when I last benchmarked it but now, even with v-sync off, it doesn't go above 45 fps. :3eyes:

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Like others said its like a issue with vsync + that keyboard keystroke bug..

disable vsync and maybe limit it to ~ 120fps, this did the trick for me when i use to play it (i didnt use any tool). If there is to much tearing try 70fps cap..

@ Darren
    I think that AA flag is bugged, try SSAA brute force flag..

edit: yep try this, but do go to high its still stressful
    0x0000F0C1

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well picked it up in the Steam Summer Sale along with Riptide (got the franchise pack), and did have the stuttering via keyboard problem, this Dead Island Helper tool sorted it out though. :D

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Easy to fix, it is a well known issue with the techland engine even since call of juarez used it.

Everything maxed in game at 1080p and it runs ridiculously well at over 200fps literally all the time.

The stutter happens infrequently, and seems to be random. Simply disable VSYNC in game (for some this option is broken and even enabling it does nothing but cause stutter).

Now cap your fps to something a little less over the the top. I normally cap to 60fps for most games but some engines are worse than others when doing this and capping at 60fps with vsync off can lead a whole world of tearing issues (just look at Titanfall for this!). For Dead Island I cap my fps to either 75 or 125fps.

I then also force the game via a profile in Radeonpro to use 8xMSAA, 16xAF, and also set CPU priority to high.

The game is very CPU bound, and you need to fix that by forcing it to use more GPU power. The game barely breaks the 512MB barrier of VRAM at stock maxed settings. With 8xMSAA, 16xAF, and all texture qualities set to maxium it uses near or just over 1GB VRAM and all stutter is gone.