MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 (2012-04-19)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Apr 19, 2012.

1. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    What's showing on the screen? Have you checked the box Show own statistics?

2. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    I've just been turning off the Global OSD portion of the program for right now. I figure that forces it to not monintor any apps that I haven't specifically created a profile for.

As far as I can tell that leave the RTSS program running and doesn't initiate any hooks for that games.

What does the Show Own Statistics do? Does it force the RTSS to display its frame counter and ignore the additonal statistics I can enable in Afterburner or HWInfo?

Bats

3. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Just wondering, if I'm updating drivers, do I need to uninstall Afterburner first and then reinstalling after the new drivers are installed? Thanks.

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Mouse over it, context help explains it.

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    What I do is uncheck to run at startup, shut down AB. Install new drivers, once satisfied with new driver install, restart AB manually and check to start auto.

6. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Thanks, that's exactly what I've been doing as well, guess I had the right idea.

7. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    No context pop ups. Ever with the program. I know it has help/info docs in the programs directory, but I've never had any context info displayed.

I do a clean install each time with Afterburner (uninstall the old and clean the directory. So maybe the context help pop up is legacy.

The show tooltips is enabled in the Config file for the OSDserver. Don't know why they don't pop up.

8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    You might be missing Winhlp on your OS. Reference this video > Installation> Restoring Context help section.

There may be a direct download now from Microsoft (I know there is for Win 7) rather than do what that video says, you'll have to search.

Edit: Here it is

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  9. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Is this feature included in Afterburner?

10. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    MSI Afterburner -> RTSS -> Options -> Frame limiter

11. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Thanks!

12. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is OSD server's own framerate limiting technology supported on both AMD and NVIDIA cards. The technology quoted above and adjustable via EVGA Precision X is NVIDIA driver's feature. Afterburner doens't control it.

13. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Thanks for clarification. That is what I suspected, and because of that I asked this question on the forums.

Is there any "real" (practical) differences between these two implementations? Will I be better of in some way if I use dedicated nvidia frame limiter on nVidia hardware? Should I switch from Afterbuner to Precision X?

Since you are the author of both precision and afterburner, will you be implementing this nVidia feature also in afterburner?

As a side note, it seems absolutely bizarre to me that nVidia is introducing and advertising a feature of their card which is not available through their drviers, but only through third party software!

14. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't recall any advertising for a framerate limiter and it was announced for all cards way before the Kepler launch. They did however advertise adaptive vsync and that can be enabled without the need for third party software.

15. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Personally, I don't recall nVidia announcing frame limiter for all cards "way before the Kepler launch", but I might have missed it.
    It was available on kepler's launch and was for example tested by fudzilla:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/2...-gainward-gtx-680-phantom-2gb-tested?start=12

Some sources refer to adaptive vsync as "framerate limiter".

On nVidia's own website Geforce.com they clearly advertise this feature as nVidia exclusive, at the same time informing that this feature can only be enabled using third-party software. This still seems bizarre to me.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

16. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    You'd have to be pretty dumb to mix those two up. One includes vsync, the other doesn't.

If you read your own link you'll see that the "framerate target" activated by third party tools and "adaptive vsync" available in the CP are two separate features.

17. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    I dit not mix these two up, I know the difference between adaptive vsync and frame rate limiter. This is what I was referring to:

I think my previous posts indicate that I am perfectly aware of this and I merely expressed my surprise that nVidia's own feature (frame target) cannot be enabled in nVidia's own drivers, but requires a specific third party tool (as far as I know, EVGA Precision X is the only tool that supports that feature.

18. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    any reason to upgrade from beta 15 if i just have my 6850? Does this version have the kernel mode support so punkbuster doesnt rage quit my pc?

19. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    bodgy release :/
    why even have a bloody beta? half the stuff added in this has never been tested..
    wouldnt it have been wiser to make this final based on the last beta(with minor fixes only)..and make a new beta with all the new stuff?

clocks are showing half their true value in hardware monitor, both core and shader...i have uninstalled beta...even removed all profiles.. this on a GTX470 + 9400GT..both old enough to have these stupid bugs sorted..

clocks showed correct on first run after removing profiles, but it returned to half clocks on the next run..

...rivatuner used to be good..but now theres corporate backing...the code has gone to hell..i guess thats why this crap is called a final release...the bigwigs wanted a full release to package in with the newer cards..while they forget about the rest of us

time to remove this corporate bloatware and move back to a small dev who hasnt been corrupted by $$ and higher powers

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  20. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Do you really think that small dev wish to work for community after meeting agressive knowledgeless users like you daily? Corrupted by $$, heh. Someone's brain is corrupted lack of IQ.