Upgrading from GeForce 550 Ti to Radeon 7870 Ghz edition

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 4chmob, Apr 7, 2013.

1. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    How much performance gain can I expect?

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  3. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    Thanks man! Looks like I am going to be seeing quite a bit of performance gain! especially when I get 2nd one of these 7870s and run them in a crossfire.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You're better off just getting a Radeon HD 7970 and forget about CrossFiring them. Having a multi-GPU setup is just asking for trouble.

Plus, your board is not properly equipped for multi-GPU setups anyways (you have a typo in your specs list since there is no board named "M5A94", the closest is "M5A97" which is an AMD 970-chipset based board).

deltatux

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    big boost going from 550 to 7870, but don't crossfire them, get one powerful gpu instead (7970). basically what deltatux said

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    79xx will be less problematic.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This, and more futureproof. 3GB of VRAM, better performance than a 680 for 80% of the price. Little bit thirstier, but big deal.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Instead of CrossFiring two midrange cards, it might be a more sensible option to go for a single high-end card. This ensures consistent, smooth performance even if it is worse for the money.

Then, later on, you could maybe CrossFire that high-end card, if you like. This would be more sensible.

9. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    Okay so here is the deal. I already purchased the 7870 yesterday. Luckily I got it at Tigerdirect down the street from my house.

I am going to be exchanging it for 9750.

another reason as to why I'm gonna exchange it, is this terrible rattling noise it makes when fan speed set anywhere above 60%....

Now I dont want my 7950 making this noise, so should I still go with XFX or maybe I should go with MSI or VisionTech

This one in particular I'm interested in..http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2555845&CatId=7387
    .Go or no Go, i can probably still make it to Tigerdirect before they close tn.

:vader:

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I would go with XFX and their dual fan variant, it's dead quiet. I have the double fan version for my 6870, sometimes I need to look inside my case to make sure the fans are spinning.

deltatux

11. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
  12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  13. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    ok thanks a lot Deltatux!

14. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now we're talking gaming!

I think I might have an issue with the drivers because windows rates my video performance at 6.0 when it should be 7.9.

I might do a fresh install of the system..

@deltatux Your right I do have a typo in my mobo specs. Lol it sure as hell is M5A97 R2.0 not 4*****

:)

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    That XFX 7950 you got there is one hell of a deal.

Did you also get your free games?

Also, have you tried any overclocking yet, check out the ASIC quality in GPU-Z, it should give you a nice idea of how to overclock your card and what you can expect out of it. Great buy again.

16. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    Yes sir, I paid 299$ + tax and I get 30 mail in rebate. I did get those games as well. Plus tigerdirect e-mailed me a code for 2 more games(bioshock tombraider) from yesterdays 7870 purchase. LOL Ree up! ;).

I haven't tried overclocking it yet I literally just got it from the local tiget direct outlet. I'm finishing installing fresh system and maybe tomorrow after work I can really play around with it.

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely chek out the ASIC in GPU-Z.

Now, im thinking if I get another one of these and crossfire them, will my computer grow wings and fly?

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No, your motherboard does NOT support CrossFire/SLi, your motherboard has a PCI Express x16/x4 configuration, only the x16 is connected to the northbridge while the x4 is connected to the southbridge. You'll be so bottlenecked, it won't be funny.

Even if you had a 990X/FX chipset motherboard, not all games would see benefits of CrossFire. In fact, for many games, multi-GPU setups cause a lot of headaches. I've already repeated this many times in this thread alone lol.

deltatux

18. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    No I understand, I was just sarcastic. I took your advice and went
    and got the 7950.

And thank you for explaining it to me as to why my motherboard doesnt support crossfire, I see your point. With this single GPU I am still solid. Next upgrade from this will be the TITAN, single GPU, on my intel i7 system I am going to build this summer.

19. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D

My ASIC quality in 60.7%, any good?

anyways I got it running at 1000mhz gpu clock and 1350mhz memory both oc'ed 11%.

Full load max temp 60c @ 60% fan speed. idle 29 @ 25% fan speed. stock cooling. :)

This thing is really loud tho...and the 2nd fan that suppose to cool PCB heatsink and components seems to make a weird noise, like almost if its scratching at the heatsink at speeds above 40%...

At 80% fan speed it clearly sounds like its rubbing off on heatsink.....hmm

20. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D