Downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2012.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Sometimes d3doverrider works better then the in game vsync. for ds2 its used to get rid of stuttering.

2. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Oh wonderful! Time for another ride on the Windows 8 Hate Train here at Guru3D!

3. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    ^you mean upgrade

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The fact that Windows 8 has a 50/50 like to dislike ratio shows it is a fail OS

Windows 7 has a 90/10 ratio for people liking it, and the 10% that don't just have no idea what they are doing and probably still run XP

Vista also had the 50/50 ratio and we all know that was a fail OS too

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    you could also go to steams site and look at there hardware stats and see windows 8 stats which seemed increased from last month.

6. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    And exactly where did you get these numbers from? Sorry, opinion does not amount to fact. And it is far too early to even make this sort of prediction. Just because a handful "experts" voiced their negativity about Win 8 you think that speaks for everyone? Here are some numbers for you; the majority of negativity for Vista was based on hearsay, 7 out of 10 people who claimed Vista sucked had never even used it. ;)

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Considering it was about 10/90 6 months ago, 50/50 is actually very impressive and clearly shows that there is a lot to be gained from W8 for those who are willing to invest the time.

If it’s still 50/50 in 1-2 years then it could be considered a failure, but with more people seeming to come round every day and a new breed of first time laptop buyers who will only know W8, I just don’t see it doing anything other than increasing in popularity as time goes on.

I forced myself to use W8 with zero third party tools, it’s hard at first as you’re outside your comfort zone, but after I realised the reliance was back on the keyboard and away from the mouse I started to come round.

Downgrading to W7 is only just making things easier for yourself in the short term, as the jump to Windows 9 from 7 will be all the more alien and uncomfortable for you.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Windows 8 sucks so much because of styling. People don't like it! If you look at the comments of people who say they don't mind Windows 8, the usual comments are 'it performs better', 'is faster', and that the UI is 'okay after getting used to it'. The last comment is a big clue as to what I'm alluding to; I haven't seen any comments referring to how beautiful and stylistic Windows 8 is (isn't!). Performance if a big factor in OS approval (Vista --> 7), but changing to a bland, uninteresting, boring UI in 2012 (basically 2013) make no sense. I think if Windows 8 looked significantly better with an updated Aero Glass style, and better looking Metro screen (not the 95-esque program icons, square block tiles on desktop etc), it would be a lot more successful. This proper styling also extends to the out-of-place things like the green background on beige icon names for 'open with' dialogues etc, like here:

[​IMG]
    (I don't use Photo Gallery to open text files, I used that as a demonstration only)!

The start menu is the most obvious thing, but if the styling was modern, pleasant, and well done the new start screen and the rest of Windows 8 wouldn't have such a bad reputation.

Like I mentioned in another thread, the uniformity between platforms excuse is quite a poor one since tablets and phones don't have the capability to install standard Windows applications and their associated icons, so the uniformity ends as soon as you install something. Because of this, there is no reason why they can't have much better styling on the start screen, including tiles, their borders, and programs and their borders. You could even have them displayed on a wallpaper like desktop view! (and still have the same functionality of scrolling through them etc). The uniformity can be through the way things are accessed, it doesn't have to be identical in looks for people to work out what to do.

Windows 8 UI was rushed, and I don't think much through went into the styling and presentation. Rushed due to the icon issue I mentioned earlier (the Windows 95 style icons), and the last minute hastily removal of the one glimmer of styling with Windows 8 (a slightly updated Aero Glass). The removal HAD NOTHING to do with performance like some claim, it was purely removed to make normal apps look more plainer, so people give Apps and the Apps store a go.

The style thing all adds up. The pic may not seem much, but the dialogue box just hasn't got a pleasant style too it, and the icons on the Metro screen for normal apps also have that green behind the icon and program name, and all these little things add up.

Sure, you can't make an omellette without cracking a few eggs, but it is a good idea to make sure the eggs aren't rotten before cracking them into the mix. Microsoft did that with the Windows 8 UI, they cracked a bad egg or two into it (figuratively speaking of course), and the result is it fouled up the whole UI. Nobody likes a bad egg!, sure if you don't get sick you might be able to get use to the bad taste, but that does not mean the omellette isn't the any less foul.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol, your more than just a little bit obsessed with Windows 8 aren't you?

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    94% of all facts are BS made up on the spot. Vista had some issues which the standard herpderp couldn't get around, to us it wasn't much of an issue. 8 is not comparable, it has an abomination for an interface and attempts to change the PC experience most of us like. Here's a non made up fact: Every person I know in real life hates Windows 8 with a passion and thinks Metro is bat-sh!7 retarded... and I agree with them.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

From the numerous forums I am a member of, there is generally a 50/50 divide when it comes to Windows 8, hence a lot of arguments between the Win 8 fanbois and those who see it for the disaster it really is

I used Vista A LOT. Anyone who thinks Vista was not a disaster is absolutely nothing more than a sad facebook/messenger user, real PC users knew it was a flop and I cba to explain to you why because there is too many reasons, if you haven't realised yourself, you never will.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How come if you like it then your a "fanboi" but if you don't like it then your just seeing it for what it is.

That's just arrogant double standards.

Nothing wrong with not liking it, but if you want people to respect that you think you valid opinion and your not just going along wiht the crowd, then you have to respect the opinion of those who do like it.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Absolutely nothing to do with being 'out of my comfort zone'

I have no problem adapting to new OS's, I am very comfortable with all Windows OS's, but it doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 and all it's Metro crappness and other unnecessary 'tweaks' that make things take twice as long is absolutely NOT for the desktop PC

Let me make one example, the new Copy window, with 7 if you try to copy a file into a dir with a file of the same name / many files with the same name, it asks "Overwrite or Keep both Files"

With 8, you have to open a whole new dialogue box and tick mark the files you want to keep / overwrite

Pointless changes to a system that didn't need changing

Improve code and make things faster, fine, don't change things that worked fine

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Fanboi = people who stick up for crap just because they can't handle the fact that a company made a mistake / treat their product as their very own love child and by insulting it you are insulting their mother

Liking something = completely different, anyone with half a brain knows Vista and 8 are crap

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Sounds exactly like out your comfort zone, just too stubborn to admit it.

The fanboi thing is just nonsense, i bet you will still be arguing that crap when the majority of people are on W8, and those people will no oubt make fun of you in the same way that W7 users make fun of people who used W7 in classic mode, or even worse clung to XP when it was way past its best.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

How would I be out of my comfort zone exactly ?

I like my PC to work, I like things to take the shortest amount of time to get from A>B, I don't want useless Metro UI and other stupid things to make the whole process longer than necessary

New releases of an OS are supposed to improve the experience, maybe for people who just use their computers for entertainment and social media, Metro is very pretty for all that, but I don't use my machine for pretty pictures and bonny colours, I use it to do the job I tell it to.

If a mechanic opened the bonnet of a car and was greeted by fairy lights and cotton wool, I have a feeling he would not be impressed having to fight through it all until he finally reached the nuts and bolts to actually get the job done

You want lovely colours, buy a paint by numbers kit, you want a PC that does the job you ask it, install 7

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not everyone operates a PC like you do, while i'm not saying you can't do things quicker in 7, it's just plain wrong to think everyone else will also share your experience.

So far i still prefer 7 over 8, but from what i've saw over the last 3 days it's certainly more efficient once you get bearings.

It's funny, we have one W8 hater saying that it's a better OS than 7 but it's ugly, while your saying its a worse OS, but it's pretty.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Yea I said 'pretty' as an insult, I don't want a pretty PC

Not sure why we ended up having this conversation if you prefer 7 over 8 too...

Each to their own, but as far as OS's go, 8 doesn't hack it for me, it had great potential in terms of speed but they broke it for RTM, leaving users no choice is not the way to go

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    More arrogance from the hate8 crowd.... Seems some of these "power users" need to learn how to actually use a computer. I see "Metro" at startup....that's it. I can access everything I need without ever seeing "Metro" aside from that. I have yet to find a single function that actually takes longer in Win8. If you want to hate on Windows8, fine....but at least use some actual facts in your arguments against it. This bull**** (which is exactly what it is) about everything taking longer is getting old. If you can't figure out how to work at OS and "customize" it....you're far from a "power user" and should be embarrassed as hell to call yourself an enthusiast (cuz some of us are embarrassed by you).

20. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    men, this is all very silly. like redmption says we wil ALL be usin win8 bfore long even if u dont liek it. so u may aswell get an like it now so u can enjoy it like all of us here. if u get confuised in win8 we are here to help u get thru it and will give u the help u need.

and if u think win9 will be not the same, well it will. ms haev speant too much money on the win8 style for it to fail. the more intelli gent users on this forum u will see use an support windows8 supportin this fact that u just need to adopt to it. SOONER before later.

phew