better to do 3 sets of push ups(each set being 35 Pushups)OR many as possible at once

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dope18, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Well, however outdated this topic might be now, its still of some use.

I personally would recomend doing the situps with your legs in the air because then it works both the upper and lower sections of the abs. My workout routine is fairly simple, doing 5 sets of pushups, then 5 sets of pullups, the 5 sets of crunches the way I stated above, all with 1:30 inbetween each set and inbetween switching exercises. Then I do whatever I need to do for my xc training later in the day so that I have some recovery time. Running does not jar the knees unless your running form is so bad that you stomp the ground and someone 30-40ft away can hear your steps. For pushups, I personally go slow because going to fast you don't know how good your form is, and it does work the muscles more because your spending more time doing work, consequently more work is done. Also, doing sets to completion is not the only way to build muscle while doing pushups. I used to do 20 sets of a relatively low number of pushups, and even if I couldn't do all 20 sets at the number of reps I wanted, the next week I would be able to do more. If there's any other questions or discrepencies, I'll be sure the check this thread again.

2. better to mix it up actually, so that your body doesnt get used to the routine and thus gets maximum benifit.

As many at once would be a burn out set, doing it in sets is a set.

Try to raise the number you do in a set over time, also make sure you do the motion slowly especially the lowering part (aka the negative lift)\

My crudentials for those of you who are new are:

Certified Personal Trainer
    High ranking belt in multiple martial arts
    Martial Arts Instructor for the Marines (green belt)
    The Marines Itself
    and of course my various activities like XC runner, track, wrestling ect ect.

I have learned alot over time, more than once you learn somthing then learn the opposite so what I know as of now is a composit of everything combined. I focus on proper form to maximize benifits and lower risk of injury or body damage to the smallest percent.

With these calisthenics you need that negative lift to keep the muscles in balance, since your not doing oposing exercises also the negative is your weakest point so you always want to stregthen the weakest link in a chain.

It would be like doing bi's and not tri's in this case it would be doing your chest and not your back mostly and to a smaller extent your tri's and not your bi's.

Hand position matters, wider = more chest narrow = more tricepts.

I like to mix it up with both.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2006
  3. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    OK, you guys need to decide what you're gonna use that summer-thread for. Cause reviving an old thread just to brag about your workouts again, is just plain unnecessary. Capisce? Reviving a 4 months old thread at all to answer something.... I'm sure dope18 appreciates it, finally some answers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.