How good is SLI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 007.SirBond, Oct 3, 2013.

1. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    I've heard that SLI isn't good for all games, some titles are not optimized and relies completely on driver support in order to have SLI truly improve performance.

Does that mean that even if I get support, only new games will have SLI support and older and not as popular titles will get shafted and probably not benefit from SLI?

Can anyone shed light on this?

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It depends on the developers, if they add multi-GPU support to the games then SLI works very well. If not then Nvidia tries to do what they can through driver support which might not make the best use of running SLI. I'd say majority of latest games have pretty decent support, you can always PM -TK- or Veteran, they've been running SLI for a very long time.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Cant really think of any games from the past few years that ive had issues with sli. Id say sli will be beneficial for you in the majority of cases for games that are somewhat recent(2007ish and on)

4. shamus21

shamus21 Member Guru

GPU:
    RAGE is one example.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The games that do not run well with SLI, you can count pretty much on one hand. And of course, you can always set the game to run single GPU in the Control Panel.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I been sli ing since the 7800gt series. I really cannot pinpoint any games that did not work with sli, but they are few and far between. Games that do not support sli will generally work on 1 gpu no problem.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Assassins Creed 3 has negative scaling.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    SLI ain't too bad. There are a couple games I play that don't work properly with it. It's easily fixed by just disabling it. But for the most part, it works. :nerd:

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    There were issues when the game was launched but they are gone. Tried playing some RAGE a few months ago with no issues at all. Smooth 60fps across the board.

I concur with previous posters that SLI works amazingly well in almost all cases.

10. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah RAGE runs fine but it still doesn't support SLI... it just runs on a single GPU.

But I haven't run into any games as of lately that haven't had SLI support or gotten it very quickly with a driver update.

11. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    I've always found SLI to work very well since owning a couple of GTX 260s a few years ago. Even when a new game comes out and is not SLI supported yet, you can play around in the control panel with the various modes and find something that works.

The only game I can recall having difficulty with in SLI is Tomb Raider with TressFX enabled - it'd cause the hair to flicker.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    In general SLI has worked pretty ok for me since the Voodoo 2 days. Yeah there have been bad drivers now and again but generally all is good. If your thinking of going SLI then do it, you wont be dissapointed.

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    How good is SLI?

Just as good as a single card here, but with the ability to run smoother with even higher graphics settings. Be realistic and don't always expect perfect day one game release drivers and\or game support; understand it may take a bit of time for both the driver team and game devs to get things ironed out and you'll be fine.

Generally, SLI users that cry about not having perfect support when a game releases, shouldn't be using such setups.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I didn't know that :eek:

15. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
    SLI running here on a GTX295, beats regular GTX650 if SLI is running properly.
    I had CF earlier, but SLI scales better with better driver support from NV.

16. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    In my case, games that don't support SLI porperly run with pretty high FPS with one GPU maxed out. So I don't mind disabling a card for that particular game.

17. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Guest

GPU:
    Titan V
    I just sold my 670 4gbs in SLI and went back to a 480, because all the games I play now don't even support SLI, company of heroes 2, rome 2, planet side 2 does, but runs far worse than with it off. Your mileage will vary.

18. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not sure if your about to change out your CPU, but 3x 780 with an i7 920 is a rather large CPU bottleneck. :gape: That just surprises me lol.

19. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Your bottleneck is at CPU yes ,this being said;it isn't exactly the CPU s fault.everything is MSI starved.(interrupt.)

20. Baldassano

Baldassano Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    I have had Generations of SLI, 8800, 280, 480, now 680 Classifieds.. SLI works Very well, especially in truly intensive games (BF4?).. Thankfully they finally were able to have SLI work on Dual Monitors.. but the only limitation i hate is that SLI only uses the memory on 1 card, so instead of 8gb i only have 4.. c`est la vie :)