Completely Removing Creative Drivers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by OneWord, May 22, 2005.

1. OneWord

OneWord Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GS BLISS 512
    I need some help since i cant figure out how to fix this.

I'm basically trying to start over again to reinstall the creative application software (surround mixer, speaker settings all that stuff).

I go to add/remove removing different Creative apps until i get to Sound Blaster Audigy 2 which starts the uninstall but gives me an error at 65%. Theres nothing else i can do so i delete the creative folder under program files, and under device manage i right-click my audigy 2 and select uninstall. I then reboot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner to clean up after creative drivers. I then boot back into windows, obviously my sound card gets redected, i pop in the CD and select automatic settings and XP recognises the Audigy2. I then run the CD to run the setup but i'm faced with the screen repair, modify and remove since the setup seems to think Creative stuff is still installed. Whichever option i choose the setups fail at 65% saying that cant find the subscriber or something. So i end up having working drivers but no software.

How do i go about making sure everything is removed properly so i can do a clean install and hopefully get the software back?

Also over the period of today i've managed to get the installer to do a clean install but it always stops and gets stuck on the 100% where it says "updating direct x" i have to end task on the program and i'm still without working software. I have my anti-virus and firewall down whilst doing all installing.

Really need help here been trying to do this for like 6 hours today :(

Off to bed now, hopefully i'll get some answers by morning.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Your driver install sees the registry Keys that is why it think you have an install when you removed the folder. Ok if you can install the drivers, can you just go through and install 1 application at a time?,mixer,eq..etc...try that if not we'll see if we can figure something else out..good luck.

3. OneWord

OneWord Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yea i tryed doing the installers one by one, but each one comes up saying its already installed, then uninstalls and reinstalls. But when i try and run the programs nothing happens. Only one i've successfully installed is speaker calibration. CTengine.exe i think is the problem since that setup wont run at all.

Atleast i have sound, but i have no surround sound which sucks on a 5.1 setup. There are too many creative entries in the registry.

You mentioned in another thread about KX modifed drivers, i might look into those now.

Thanks for your help.

4. OneWord

OneWord Maha Guru

GPU:
    Update

So using a add/remove programs cleanup program i can now remove the software and drivers completely to be able to reinstall with a clean start. But the installer still gets stuck at 100% whilst Updating DirectX. I have to end task and the whole setup is a failure since i cant run any of the software. What is causing this?

Anyway of making the installer not run directx?

Everything else on my PC is up to date and i have DX 9.0c.

5. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

DON'T USE THE CD!!!!

i get this same issue with my SBlive 5.1 and my 24 bit

download the latest drivers off of the creative support site as this won't include the DX installation which is whats causing the problem

6. OneWord

OneWord Maha Guru

GPU:
    Hhmm so downlaod everything and run them one by one?

The site doesnt include a download for every application doesnt it?

7. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

unfortunately it doesn't look like it,

and since i've just learned i can use Audigy 1 drivers on my SB Live 5.1

im thinking bout it to

but yeah,.. the latest drivers are best, they fix up certain compatibility problems

8. OneWord

OneWord Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nope that doesnt work. It says "setup could not find the required components".

I'm not having any issue with the drivers, they work fine but the software wont install properly and wont work so i dont have any surround sound on my 5.1 speakers. ITS DRIVING ME MAD!!! I JUST WANT TO GET THE INSTALLERS TO WORK.

*CRY* *SOB*

PLEASE someone must have an idea what i can try. :(

9. reddas

reddas Guest

deleted by reddas.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2005
  10. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

I had the same problem. Couple of things you can try (obviously run a registry cleaner like regseeker or regsupreme pro 1st.

Verify that the file PLXCore.PLX is located in the correct folder in your hard drive. The default folder is C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files folder. If the file is not present in the folder, manually copy the file from the original installation CD-ROM disk to the above location. To do so, insert the Sound Blaster installation CD-ROM disk, exit from the Installation procedure if it auto runs. Go to My Computer, right click on the CD-ROM drive that contains the installation CD-ROM disk, and select Explorer. Double click on the CTEngine folder, then the PlayRec.cab file, it should expand. Select the file PLXCore.PLX and copy it to C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files.

Failing that try this:

In your program files folder you should have an installshield folder (hidden) in there are GUID named folders. If you go through the folders and look at each setup.ini you will find ones corresponding to Creative stuff. Delete the whole GUID folder for each program it relates to and then reinstall from scratch. One of the major problems is the DTS Neo installer.