Clone displaying question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tsunami231, Jul 20, 2013.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have a 24" asus VS248h and 32" samsung HDTV I use from time to time. I generaly use Win button +p to switch between the 2 but as of late been getting lazy.

IF I just clone my displays at all times IS the card just out putting the signal twice or is actual rendering the image twice? Another words is the GPU working harder to clone the picture? If not I might just leave it on clone.

Also question about Extending is it possible to get games to run in full screen on the extended monitor (HDTV) and not the main that shows the icons? or would that only work if it windowed?

Like i curious if I could put my games be it full screen or windows/windows full on the extend (hdtv) and keep the main window for web or what ever else?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes use the "show my desktop on monitor X" option. It will cause a slight performance hit though.

You'll prob need to run games in windowed mode too if you want to move the mouse across both screens.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe i will just looking to some spliter instead maybe dvi-d make to dvi -d female x2 will do the trick

seeing i just want to mirror what is on my monitor on my hdtv with out have to constantly switch settings

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Just use clone. I've been using my monitor + HDTV like that for nine months now without a problem. The video card just splits the signal so it doesn't affect performace, or if it does it is negligible.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    according to usage in nvidia inspector doubles usage of what ever the single display usage is atlest that what it looked like just sitting on the desktop

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Humm.. I have done video benchmarks, testing other things like drivers and stuff, but comparing the results to the ones before I had the HDTV there was no difference. I'll check it again, but I doubt that cloning has a performance hit.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Cloning does not add additional workload while rendering 3D scene (games).
    Compared to single screen VGA has to only allocate more memory and based on card design cloning is either gone dedicated chip (no performance loss) or by GPU additional load in matter of 0.01~0.1%.

But GPU/memory clock may bump even while on desktop without special load.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ok i stand corrected gpu load stays the same but power usage does go up 9% to about 15% with clone mode

Seeing as I have Digital Vibrance at 75% on my HDTV and it on defualt on my Monitor I need to set my HDTV to compensate for the lose of DV if I use clone mode

9. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    You will not see much of a performance hit if any by cloning. I have set my 3 Asus 27" monitors to clone to check benchmarks and in every benchmark I ran the results were right about the same +- a few fps same goes for setting them as three independent monitors in a extended desktop.

As for playing games on your HDTV if that is what you were asking the easiest way to do that is just set your HDTV as the primary monitor and then the game will start on the HDTV. I do that from time to time when I want to play from my couch with my XBox 360 wireless controller. However most games do lock the mouse to the game screen so you could not browse the web and such if the game is running full screen.