My Painful RMA Begins

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Chastity, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Last night my R9 390 died on me, in the middle of a nice session of Darksiders. And no, I wasn't overclocking, and no, it wasn't due to heat, as temps were just under 60C. (I do monitor while gaming on my G15 Display)

This is when I discovered that Sapphire has no dial-up tech support, only online ticket submissions. So now I am stuck in limbo awaiting someone to either email me with some canned response of "Did you try this first? Did you try switching vBIOS?" and other nonsense. Or perhaps I will get a call back.

Before any of you start, mobo reports no available video card on post, I tried changing firmware to the UEFI BIOS I wasn't using, no I didn't flash from stock, changing PCIE slots did not change anything, and yes I tried different power connects.

I'm now back on a pair of GTX285's until I get this sorted out. Card is only a year old. (BTW, the GTX285 work fine on the power connects I used on the 390, and in the same slot I used)

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    RIP...

Only year old means it could have been a real issue, like QC, design itself, or something you unknowingly contributed to. Or it was simply an act of god. You'll never know.

I will always aim for reference, Nvidia or AMD.
    (despite a slight letdown with 480 PCI-E draw)

I trust more to core designs and material used by AMD/NV than Sapphire/EVGA/MSI.

GTX 285 is no slouch either.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Didnt you brag once how you are pushing card to its limits? I think you said once how you overclocked Vram to 1700mhz+ and for Hawaii chip thats just super massive (maybe it was someone else tho).

Anyway, sorry to hear that man. So whats are your options? Basically waiting for Sapphire responce then RMA?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yeah...^^^
    like when he said he wasn't overclocking, I thought hmmm... my memory is going bad

which still would not mean oc ing killed it

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Higher clock does not kill chips, not even memory ones. What kills is high voltage and high heat.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I experimented with seeing how far it would go, but it doesn't mean I used it regularly at those speeds. I only OC'd for DA:I as that needed a little extra UMPH to get good steady clocks. Temps were monitored and kept well within reason. So I am leaning towards something marginal went, as my CMOS on the mobo was also wonky and needed to get reset. Maybe it was also due to driving my 3x1 Eyefinity?

At least I can still play some games, so I can survive, but I do miss my DX11 support. (I'm also waiting for someone to say it was ReLive that killed my card) :D

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I would not blame OC, and I wouldn't call it blameless either.

If you had 2 control groups, one overclocking, and the other stock..
    I have a pretty good hunch which group would have more dead cards a year or two later.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Voltage and clocks goes together.

He said temps ware in check (core temp) but what about VRMs? Idk if his card have Vrm's monitoring and if he did checking on that. 1700mhz Vram overclock is really pushing it.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    VRMs were fine too, nothing over 72C

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    These things happen, all it takes is one faulty solder joint, especially now since they can't use leaded solder.
    Too bad really, hope all goes well.

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Sapphire online tickets are obnoxious to make, they use this ancient retarded web-page system.

Good luck, I had to wait 2 months to get my broken 7950 rma'd.

12. korennya

korennya Member

GPU:
    sapphire 390 8gb w/bp
    oh fantastic. I emailed RMA last week about my 390. Still havent' even gotten anything like a confirmation that they received my request. :( The online support was plenty fast. The RMA department thought.. they suck so far.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Got my RMA request form from Athlon Micro who are handling the RMA. Filled it out and sent them my form and receipt. (Bought in Mar 2016, so not even a year old yet) Fortunately MicroCenter gave me 2 receipts, so it's easy to include one w/ packaging. Wish I bought the warranty service, I could have my new 480 already.

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    ... And now begins my long, mindless wait for a RMA #....

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Yay, RMA authorization finally came in today! Now to pack things up....

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Delivered!

Updated Delivery Day: Wednesday, March 1, 2017
    Signed for By: H KWAN // WALNUT, CA 91789 // 10:31 am

No response yet from Athlon Micro, nor do I see an online means of tracking my RMA. :p

17. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Sending you warm fuzzy thoughts and luck on your RMA.

My last RMA in December was my Powercolor 290 Turboduo and they sent me a brand new RX 480 8 gb Red Devil.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Sapphire is a POS about returns. You would expect them to be better, but they aren't. I had to threaten them via email to get the proper Sandy Bridge bios for my motherboard, that they decided to remove from their website a week before I got my motherboard from them.

They didn't even reply to me when I asked them if there was any way to repair my card (with me paying for it), after it crapped out two months after the warranty passed.

There is a reason that the @Sapphire handle in Twitter doesn't exist. It's also funny and tragic that I would still recommend their sh*t.

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I have a sneaky suspicion that Sapphire is AMD, just as BFG Tech was NVIDIA. I also noticed on their BBB profile that they have a lot of complaints, and oddly an A+ Rating. (Companies can buy a guaranteed A+ rating for $25,000 / yr, which allows them to NOT have to satisfy complaints within 60 days like normal BBB member do)

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    \o/ finally a reply. Since I see no mention or questions about the replacement I am going to assume it's a refurb'd 390.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017