MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Glide

Glide Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I'm aware of this.
    I said many times that I trust the display's refresh rate monitor more than RTSS due to it.

My issue is that people recommend an RTSS framerate limit ~2 FPS lower than the refresh rate to prevent the display switching from G-Sync to V-Sync - and they say that this works for them.
    I am having to set the RTSS limiter about 10-15 FPS lower than the refresh rate, depending on the game, to prevent it from leaving G-Sync and tearing or lagging.
    So the "100Hz" monitor becomes an "85-90Hz" monitor, which is disappointing.

NVIDIA's framerate limiter does not do this. If I select 91 FPS, it never goes above 91Hz so G-Sync is always in use.
    But NVIDIA's limiter is as high latency as V-Sync so that does not fix the problem.

The images posted were to demonstrate what I am seeing, to find out if other people are experiencing the same thing, if it is an issue with my system, with Windows 10 CU, or the latest RTSS betas.
    I'm not pointing blame at anything, just asking questions.

2. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Try to set 4 FPS lower than your monitor refresh rate. (G-SYNC)

3. Glide

Glide Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Like I said, it depends on the game.
    For some games, 4 FPS may be sufficient - though none that I've tried.
    DOOM running in Vulkan is the worst so far and needs an 86 FPS cap in RTSS to prevent the display's refresh rate monitor ever reporting 100Hz and tearing or lagging. (did not test OpenGL)

4. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Regarding Doom, I use RTSS to limit 60 FPS on my 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz.

P.S NVCPL - Prefer maximum performance & Fast sync.

OpenGL/Vulkan;

RTSS capped 60 FPS, v-sync off (game setting) - 1xx FPS

RTSS capped 60 FPS, adaptive (game setting) - 60 FPS

Both results gaming experience is pretty smooth & without any tearing.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @khanmein: This is about G-Sync. Not fixed refresh rate.

6. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Unfortunately, I don't have G-Sync to test it. ;)

7. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
  8. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Try to reinstall again. No issue here.

[​IMG]

9. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    i agree

10. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    guru download page not his link

11. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    The guru Server do not need to be upgraded. This is a beta (21), that Unwinder has give us for testing the new features, an not for a big public or daily use.

So don't cry, if you can't handle it.

12. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    uhm ok yes sire absolutely sir! :wanker:

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's 6.6.0 I'm guessing, 7.0.0b19 was also put up for public download but it's been succeeded by b20 and b21 so perhaps it could be updated if deemed stable enough. :)

b20 added this:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5422150&postcount=289
    - More flexible raster font size adjustment. Now base raster font size (i.e. size for 1x zooming ratio) can be adjusted directly in font selection dialog.
    - Added frametime history graph overlay. The overlay can be enabled in RTSS properties in FCAT settings group (“Enable frametime history overlay” option). Frametime history graph dimensions (512x100 pixels, 50ms max, 0ms min) are currently hardcoded in global profile template so power users can alter them there. The graph is currently attached to the bottom of OSD text.
    - Fixed Vulkan sampler cleanup, which caused Vulkan OSD text to look pixilated in modern OSD layout when 3D application dynamically recreated Vulkan device.
    - Added explicit multi-GPU support to pure D3D12 renderer (currently used in Halo Wars 2 only). So now D3D12 overlay in HW2 should work on SLI/CF systems as well.
    - Framerate limit in GUI has been increased to 300 FPS.
    - Screenshot/video encoding libraries (SaveMedia.dll/SaveMedia64.dll) and video encoder plugins are now also digitally signed.
    - Added more exclusions to built-in profiles list (Paint 3D / 3D View, Unigine Superposition launcher ).

and b21 this:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5422794&postcount=296
    o Added new “Framerate averaging interval” option to “General” tab. You may use this option to adjust framerate calculation and to see immediate framerate instead of smoothed if necessary
    o Added new “Refresh period” option to “General” tab. You may use this option to adjust the refresh period for framerate and frametime counters and update them on each frame if necessary
    o Added new “Display integer framerate” option to “General” tab. You may use this option to switch between integer and floating point framerate representation format
    o Added new “Display maximum frametime” option to “General” tab. You may use this option to switch between immediate current frametime value or maximum frametime value during each refresh period. Maximum frametime value can be used for framerate stutters detection

There's also Afterburner 4.4.0(b6 or b7) but I don't think the public download servers have that version at all yet, only the Rivatuner stand-alone was updated.

EDIT:
    Looks like Afterburner 4.4.0 and Rivatuner 7.0.0 will be a pretty large update when it comes out of beta going by everything that's been added or updated for these two so far, though I guess that's not too unexpected with Rivatuner going from 6.x to 7.x as a major version number change.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  14. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @JonasBeckman I'm using MSI: AB 4.4.0 Beta 7 + RTSS 7.0.0 Beta 21.

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Development betas are not for everyone and not intended to be there.

16. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    I was testing the maximum frametime setting together with the alarm colour. There is a discrepancy in the timings in the OSD - the alarm colour changes late most of the time compared to the value (both when alarm goes on and off), but sometimes it changes in advance.

Is there any chance the alarm colour updates could be synced to the same interval as the OSD value updates? The mismatch is quite confusing. (And obviously, have the logic also consider the same interval for whether the alarm should trigger.)

17. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No way, sorry. It will totally break the logic with close to zero (if not say zero) positive resulting effect. Doesn't worth the efforts.

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No,

The download binary on Guru3D is an Public Beta.

The Betas in these forums are closed for a small group of board regulars and aficionados so that Unwinder can get feedback on new functionality and testing.

19. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  20. LordHyena

LordHyena Member

GPU:
    4xGTX
    Hello. Maybe it's wrong place to ask about that, but it's my first comment here.
    Can i use RTSS 7.0.0 Beta 21 in my Benchmarks videos on Youtube?
    Or i need to wait until RTSS 7.0.0 is fully released?