How hard is it to build your own computer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Moopsta, Nov 10, 2012.

1. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    It's about as hard as a simple jigsaw puzzle. Just get the right components for what you need the computer for, no good getting a gtx690 if you are only going to surf the net.

2. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    The only danger is damaging your parts, but in my experience, it's not as easy as it sounds haha.
    If you handle the parts with common sense and take care of static electricity, you're fine.
    Seriously though, it sounds much more dangerous than it is.

It's like a 4 piece puzzle, you can't connect something wrong, and if you somehow do manage to do so, the computer wont start anyway.
    Also, I think it's a lot of fun, and I wouldn't buy a preassembled pc, but beware, it's going to take you the whole day and your back is going to hurt and you will probably end up opening the case a few times after you've completed assembling haha. (You know, a cable showing or something).

I never used any tutorials when I built my first pc, I just looked at the pieces and started plugging them in and my pcs have worked just fine.
    Also, it's worth to mention that you plan your assembly before hand, not that you assemble your pc outside the case, and then realize it won't fit in unless you remove half of the parts lol.
    (Also a tip, common sense tells you not to force parts in, well that's true, but sometimes connections can be very tight, just check it out and if you are 100% sure the parts go together, use a little force if necessary)

Go for it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    That is true if something goes wrong :).

But in normal cases, up to 1 hour for assembling/connecting parts, up to 5 minutes for setting up BIOS, up to 2 hours for OS and updates, applications, settings, backup files and so on.

3 to 4 hours total in worst case scenario :). But if something goes wrong, it might also take a few days not just one.

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Dunno how you guys do it, but it does take me pretty much the whole day even though i know what I'm doing.
    I include of course opening all the packages up to cleaning away all the mess etc.

If I got a box with all the screws etc, unpacked parts and the case, I could assemble it under an hour sure, but all that other stuff takes a while.

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, you got the point right :). I assumed new build = everything new. But with cleaning, sure, it will take much more time (depends how detailed you are ofc. :)).

6. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    You could practice you know. Find an old system and practice on it. Take it apart and put it back together. :D

7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Just be prepared to troubleshoot if something doesn't work. However, with modern components things tend to be pretty resilient. Back when I was building my last machine I knocked a capacitor sideways on the mobo while installing the cpu's heatsink, straightened it back and it still works fine.

I deduct $200 from my build budget when I put a rig together so that I can replace a broken part if I have to. You're not likely to destroy every component of the system (except with a bad PSU), so you only need enough cash to replace one component of the system. Most likely part to bungle is the motherboard so at least make sure you can replace that.

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Cmon lads, its only as easy as an easy jigsaw if you have done it before, how easy is it to bend pins in an Intel system for example. Also advising the OP to get an aftermarket cooler isn’t necessary as he hasn’t even mentioned what system he will buy and I very much doubt he will dive straight into OCing if he hasn’t built a system before.

Yes I agree that self building is the way forward but either get somebody else with experience to help/guide you and do a bucket load of research.

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    [​IMG]