Upgrade time or keep on waiting?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by maroder, Jul 25, 2013.

1. maroder

maroder Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Lightning
    Hi all,

I'm getting the itch to upgrade my trustwothy first generation i7 860, as it is already a few years old. I'm just not quite sure if an upgrade to Haswell would really be worth it.

I mainly use my rig for playing games and photo editing in Lightroom. Otherwise usage is emailing, surfing or listening to music - the normal stuff.

Would you upgrade or would you stick with my current setup until the next Intel generation arrives? I would like to upgrade and also have the cash for it, but I would rather not throw money out of the window if it's not worth it.

Thanks for any input
    Maroder

2. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    I don't think it's worth upgrading right now.

3. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Well for Lightroom, Haswell will provide better performance for sure:
    http://www.hardware.fr/articles/897-19/cpu-traitement-photo-lightroom-bibble.html

for gaming it will more depend on games and resolution/graphical options you are using. But you will probably seen some gain.

Haswell refresh is planned for Q2 2014 but it will not change many things.

It depends on how much money you are ready to spend but the next promising step is the Haswell-E product line.
    It is planned for end of next year and there is no doubt it will be fairly expensive. (DDR4 price is part of the equation)

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    No, just wait. Look at my specs, put on some itch cream, and just wait. I've been applying itch cream since the i7 2600k.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Wait for what?

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Can't see anything major happening until Skylake to be honest. If that's what he's waiting for he's looking at 2015 or so. Can't say I'd wait that long with a Q6600.

7. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    i5 first gen here as well, still can't find a reason to replace it yet...def got my monies worth out of this one.

How high can you clock your chip?

8. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    I've got an i7 920 OC'd to 3.5Ghz. Running everything well enough! I think I'll play the waiting game along with ya. :D

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree with ya there. My computer is aging as well and my Q6600 was used when I got it so I don't know how much it is got left in the tank. I am hoping that it will last me another 6-9 months or so. By then I will be able to upgrade my rig.

@OP
    I would wait unless you need this upgrade now. By waiting you can save up for better parts.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  10. maroder

maroder Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Lightning
    Sorry for the late response - i changed my password for the forum and then forgot what I changed it to :nerd:

I can overclock to 3.8 GHz with about 1.2v but as I like quiet cooling solutions the temps are then on the highside. Never managed the 4GHz yet but also never went higher with the voltage. On 3.6GHz I sit comfortably at 65 C while full load.

Thank you all for the input. You saved me some money. I'll apply some itching cream and upgrade when DDR4 is available or my current setup breaks :)

Cheers
    Maroder

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    No problem happy to help you out.

12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080