RivaTuner and Battlefield 2142 PunkBuster

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by benniebeeker, Jun 3, 2007.

1. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Will give it a try...just need to see if i have time. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.
    Will keep ui posted.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Thanks. Also, it would be very nice to see if disabling PunkBuster (which can potentially "see" RT as a cheat and cause problems) helps.

3. benniebeeker

benniebeeker Member

GPU:
    GTX 280 710/2400
    if you dissable punk buster then you chunk your chance of playing on the majority of the servers out the window...

i have tried the following:

HW monitoring window closed
    statistics server closed
    background monitoring enabled
    result: crash

scenario #2

HW monitoring window closed
    statistics server closed
    background monitoring dissabled

result: about 1 hour of trouble free gaming...

i would have gone further but i have to go to work... i will test this more tonight...

4. Unwinder

So as I can understand "i tried to dissable background monitoring (the little red record button on the bottom left of the hardware monitoring screen) and bf2142 still crashes... " from the post #10 applied to testing with disabled background monitoring but with open monitoring window, right? And monitoring module is really the thing problem on your system?
    If yes, still try disabling monitoring graphs one by one. I'd recommend to start from core temperature (which is monitored by ForceWare itself), then proceed with disabling fan duty cycle and framerate graphs.

mR Yellow

Can you confirm that enabling monitoring module is also the reason of problems on your system?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007

5. benniebeeker

benniebeeker Member

GPU:
    GTX 280 710/2400
    ::EDIT:: the first paragraph was written thinking that the second part of your post was aimed at me... i didn't see MR YELLOW in BIG bold letters... lol

at this point no... as you can see from my previous post above you, i need to play more tonight with the background monitoring disabled... however from what i have seen so far, i would say yes... usually it crashes within 45 minutes... about 15 minutes on average... i will play a few rounds tonight with the same settings as scenario 2 mentioned above, and i will report my findings...

and to answer your other question, yes that is with the window open and BG monitoring disabled...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  6. Unwinder

Thanks for confirming. That sounds logical for me, the problem seem to be more localized now we've to find the graph causing problems. Considering that you've only 3 of them enabled, it won't be that hard.

Just to inform you:
    Disabling background monitoring mode without closing monitoring window has no effect and no sense. Background mode "tells" RT if monitoring module should collect monitoring statistics when monitoring window is closed and invisible. When you open a window, hardware is polled anyway.

7. benniebeeker

benniebeeker Member

GPU:
    GTX 280 710/2400
    since you seem to be the rivatuner xpert around here, maybe you can answer this question for me...

all i really want rivatuner for is for my fans to automatically adjust ad to overclock my card since ntune does a GARBAGE job for both.... i have created fan profiles and created corresponding low level profiles in the launcher tab... then i added upward and downward threshold temps to the threshold settings to the core temp profile... do i need to have anything open other than rivatuner to keep these fan speeds varying??? as long as my fans automatically adjust, i don't care what i need to open or close...

in fact, the only reason i keep the hardware monitoring window open is because i have dual displays and i like to keep it open on my second display during gaming so i can see what is going on with my temps...

8. Unwinder

I'm not an expert, I'm developer of this software.

No.

9. benniebeeker

benniebeeker Member

GPU:
    GTX 280 710/2400
    WOW!!!! then its a pleasure to meet you!!! thank you so much for making such a wonderful tool!!! its an honor to be helping you with troubleshooting this issue... i will keep you posted on my findings tonight...

10. Massive Overkil

Massive Overkil Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640 700/1000
    I can confirm that I no longer have BSOD's or freezes now that I no longer have background monitoring enabled. Only problem I have to deal with now is PB kicks. I tend to blame 2142 as I have no problems with RT and any other of my games.

11. Unwinder

Thanks. Can you determine which monitoring graph exacrly is causing the problem by disabling them one by one?

12. imabiggles

imabiggles Active Member

GPU:
    BFG8800GTS 640
    your specs:
    windows xp pro sp2
    158.22 video drivers
    x-fi drivers
    nvidia 680i chipset and network drivers
    bf2142

my specs:
    windows xp pro sp2
    158.22 video drivers
    audigy drivers
    nvidia 680i chipset and network drivers
    bf2142
    BFG 8800GTS overclocked to 600/900

For what its worth, I run rivatune and BF2142 having the monitor window open or closed and background monitoring with the following graphs:
    gpu temp
    core/shader/mem clocks
    fan duty cycle
    and BF2142 works fine

Works fine with server enabled and monitoring FPS in the graph.

The only thing that MAY be a bit flakey is if I use the C2D core temp pluging - that seems to cause stuttering in loading BUT it is not significant if it really is occurring at all (hard to tell).

All settings completely maxed out in BF2142. Had TONS of issues when I initially upgraded from an ATI card. This is a new rig and after install of OS/Drivers/Updates - BF worked perfectly. Then I uninstalled the nvidia 8800 drivers, install the old ATI card I was using prior - worked perfectly. Then I uninstalled the ATI drivers and put my 8800 back it and BF flaked out again (yellow trees/screens/c2d (guess I need to write crash to desktop now since C2D is used for core 2 duo). When I restored the image of the clean system - BF2142 worked perfectly again. I concluded that ATI driver remnants were goofing up the system.

13. benniebeeker

benniebeeker Member

GPU:
    GTX 280 710/2400
    he must be using different ones than i am because i am still crashing with background monitoring disabled, the hardware monitoring window closed, and the statistics server disabled... im down to core temp and fan duty cycle only... i'll yank them one by one and post the results...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  14. Unwinder

So scenario#2, which you've mentioned in the post #23 as trouble free, is stil causing crashes?

Once again: if your system crashes even when monitoring module is not active (i.e. when monitoring window is closed and background monitoring mode is disabled) then closing monitoring graphs one by one has no sense.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  15. Massive Overkil

GPU:
    Sure thing, I'll try it tonight. Here's what I had before though: Data Polling set to 2000ms, and graphs Core Temperature, Ambient Temperature, and Fan Duty Cycle.

I'll try monitoring only Core Temperature tonight.

BTW, I'm using the 160.03 drivers and I also re-enabled DEP (Data Execution Protection) for all processes, which seemed to make my previous freezing epiosdes less frequent.

16. Massive Overkil

GPU:
    Question: If I set my Data Polling to some really high number, I'll still have full OC settings and Fan Control right?

17. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    lol, i was waiting for your response. :approval:
    Haven't had a chance to test but sound like u guys are on the right track...

18. Unwinder

I'd recommend to do opposite and start from disabling Core Temperature but leaving Ambient Temperature and Fan Duty Cycle. If that won't help, then try monitoring core temperature only.

19. Unwinder

Yes, sure.

20. Massive Overkil

GPU:
    Done. So tonight when I play I'll only have Ambient Temperature and Fan Duty Cycle monitored. I won't change my Data Polling interval until I know the outcome of these changes. My guess is that Data Polling is only for the logging function and that fan control and OC settings are completely independent of that number? Same with OSD? (which I have enabled btw).