Bose Companion 5....

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Slam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Do you know how cheap 1 terabyte (1000+ gigabyte) hard drives are? I don't think you do.. And I also mentioned .flac, not just .wav (a majority of my library is .flac). I doubt you even know what FLAC media is but you can get lossless CD rips with 5:1 compression ratio's I believe. That's like 10 MB per average length song.

Yeah...you're really one to say.

Just trying to get the word out so unknowledgeable buyers are not mislead into thinking Bose is a good product based on your opinions. You never know how many sound newbies lurk these forums.

2. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Need the source of that pic...what mic was used, what sound system, what environment it was recorded in, position of mic relative to speaker placement. So many variables.

And again, sound is subjective.

If the other companies make such a superior product at a cheaper price, then I say knock Bose out of the picture...make 'em go under.

Bottom line: I'm diggin' 'em. If I'm a Bose Kool-aid drinker, then so be it. Give me another glass! After hearing these bad boys, I'm a believer.

3. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Nice one, Dirk.

nika,

I think you are either an employee of a Bose competitor, or a disgruntled ex-Bose employee who got fired.

So much hate. Let it go, let it go.

4. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Allow me to clarify.

[​IMG]

Bring the banhammer, although it should be known those phalluses are made of plastic ;)

5. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Yes, I did check the link. There are links inside his link which I'm referencing. It exposes everything about Bose. "Better profit through marketing" as they say.

On another note, you say you agree with me but at the same time you're going out of your way to shoot down my posts. I don't understand your motivation behind this. Arguing for the sake of arguing?

The same people who buy Bose speakers and Logitech USB headsets..? No but seriously, you're overlooking the fact that MP3's were created to address storage space concerns. With hard drives getting bigger and cheaper each year (there are 3TB platters now), there's no reason why you shouldn't use lossless. Anyone still ripping libraries into MP3 either doesn't care about sound quality or is too lazy/not informed about alternatives. Not to mention MP3 has been an obsolete standard for years now. There are better codecs out there if you must go that route, AAC for example.

It's funny you compliment him when in fact he's agreeing that Bose is complete and utter garbage. And you say I'm the one who's a little slow..? Oh the irony..

And I think you have your head so far up your... oh forget it. You're just hopeless. You're like every other vehement Bose owner that's posted on these forums. Facts and logic do not penetrate your thick skull. Enjoy your "Better Sound Through Research".

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I was trying to give OP the benefit of the doubt in my last post but now he's just being a fool. Calling Bose "top dog" is like calling Hugh Hefner a virgin.

Sure, they may be top dog of what you have heard but you clearly haven't listened to a wide range of audio equipment if that is the case.

I'm still not saying that you may not be completely happy with them because you clearly are and that's awesome because it's your money, however you are now coming across as somebody who just bought their first ipod and is now going on a preaching rampage about how amazing apple is.

7. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    "Calling Bose "top dog" is like calling Hugh Hefner a virgin."

Um...not really. lol :)

8. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Touche, I had only checked the link on my phone earlier, but the further embedded links do in fact lead to some actual scientific method....not just roommate's conjecture. Good to see.

I'm not arguing for argument's sake, so much, as I think it just sucks to see someone getting ass-rammed for enjoying a particular frivolous modern convenience, despite there being more modern and convenient frivolities abound. Then pride and f*cking e-motions get involved, and the arguments get less and less logical and....yeah it's just getting silly here fellas.

I don't disagree with your ends, but I do disagree with your means.

Finally, yeah storage space is not so much an issue anymore (well, if you got a large drive before Thailand flooded). Thing is, I kinda ripped my collection some years ago to 320. I think alot of people did. I preferred Ogg Vorbis but mp3 allowed greater flexibility and honestly, try comparing .flac to 320 kbps one day. I did. Virtually indistinguishable. At that point, the recording source is a much larger factor....if it's a redbook cd digital recording, it will sound kind of sh*tty to me either way. If I have access to a nice tube amp, I'm at home anyway and I'm going straight to the vinyl. Depends on how far you want to take it.

9. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    "320 kbps mp3's are used by alot of people who do, in fact, care about sound quality."

K, this is just pure nonsense and thats all i have to say about that.

bose is 'top dog' of ENTRY LEVEL speakers..yes they have their place...and thats for those that really dont understand or havent educated themselves enough about speakers, audio, how audio works...room treatments...cabling...power treatments...speaker positioning...why speakers use spikes...and many many more things..thats BARELY scratching the surface...and Bose doesnt care about ONE of those things, and I doubt the sales person who is trying to impress upon you that Bose is a quality product, well...they probably dont know much about any of those other factors either. You are entitled to your opinion, of course. One day though, you will figure out what we were trying to 'show' you and then youll feel ripped off because you basically ripped yourself off. Overpaying for Bose and then finding out that they arent anything BUT entry level speakers anyway. They do have their niche in the marketplace, but anywhere near the REAL top, no. not even close. A B&W tweeter/Martin Logan panel has more R&D in it than ANY ENTIRE line of Bose speakers. Take your pick. They just dont match up. Ive already expressed my opinion on Bose in other threads, its no secret im not a fan. Just something to consider. :)

10. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Ok, B&W also make a range of sattelites and subs, just like Bose, so it's not unheard of for people to go with that sort of setup is it?
    Look, there are pros and cons for any speaker setup, and just because certain speakers like Bose don't follow the exact certifications, doesn't mean they aren't top notch speakers... The Logitech z5500 has THX certification and every Bose setup I've heard is way better than them, so...

regards,
    RagDoll.

11. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
  12. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Agreed RD.

However, you can't argue with the self proclaimed elitist sound group.

I bet if I had bought any Klipsch model, they would have been giving me praise. I would have joined the "cool club."

13. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    I have 3 sets of the bose companion 2.1 (2 sats and sub) All 3 bought off ebay for $60-$80 each. These are the best self powered speakers I've ever owned. I use to buy logitech speakers until I heard a set of these.

They get loud and are clear. Have dj'ed (brought computer and songs, I'm not some pro dj'er) to weddings and partys with 2 sets and always get the same comments, "all that sound comes from those" and "man, those things are clear" Only down side is as the sub amp heats up, the sound is auto throttled down, so I need to put a fan on the back of the sub amps to keep the sound loud. I've taken them on camping trips and even my friend who is a musician couldn't believe the clarity of acoustic music on them.

I find it funny if you read peoples specs, everybody has a high brand fav they gravitate towards. And knock everyone elses. Mine personally is I hate corsair products, why? because I've gotten 3 bum products out of 4 and think they spend to much time and money on artwork and packaging. But if you look around, thousands of people rave about the products and support on here.

Educated people don't argue about how educated they are on the internet, just like rich people don't argue about how much richer they are either. Only kids with rich parents argue about how much richer they are. Seriously, most of us got 25 or 26k's all clocked to 4.5-4.6 pretty much 95% of us are all in the same performance area.

Its nice to find a site with so many users you can always find a comment on a product someone owns . For some odd reason you will find 3 comments for the same product someone has never owned or used. I mean even products I could never afford or heard of, I can read about what someone who did buy it thought about it

14. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I totally agree.

And the same thing happened to me on a Corsair setup. Bought their SP2500 model (because so many raved about it), and the left channel was bad. Really ticked me off. Returned it, and later on, got the Bose. Very happy I did.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  15. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    If you post about something be ready to accept criticism.

16. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Yep. Been on guru for a long time. Always ready for that. But there's a big difference between criticism, and being a jerk. If someone chooses to go that route, I have no problem returning the favor.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    no actually I was pointing out some facts. read the links. but now your just being immature about the whole thing anyway, though I had an agreement with some of what he was trying to say, there was no point in defending something that didn't need defended...in other words, you seem to have taken way out of context. Nothing I posted there was a lie, you could argue some of it was subjective, but you chose another route

funny you say that since I, in particular, was never being a jerk yet your response was what now? I merely pointed out some things and closed with a quote your own immature name calling in relevance to the hypocrisy.

what your "returning" is a continual cycle of deterred responses, mostly directed from your overly defensive behavior. You started the thread, your handling it wrong.

18. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    So... what does that say about THX certification? THX slaps logos on everything these days, it has lost it's credibility. Pretty sure that's been established on these forums time and time again. Anyways, you're comparing crap with crap so it makes little difference. You can only get so much fidelity from plastic, 1-way satellites.

19. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    You need to clean the wax out of your ears man. Have you actually even sat down, and really listened to the Companion 5 system? Or are you just going off what you've read from the "sound snob" sites, and feel you are too good to lower yourself to listen to Bose. Heaven forbid...

20. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    You're just a Bose basher, you wouldn't know what sounds good, small speakers can sound good too, with a good sub... Even B&W tried to copy Bose, so are you saying B&W speakers aren't good?