If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    If you still have a legacy card, try these hybrid drivers...

Ok....., with all the modded drivers for legacy cards sprouting up like mushrooms of late, and the resulting issues with the latter catalyst official ones being too flaky for older cards, clock bugs and missing polygons in games etc, and the performance also taking a nose dive since 7K series integration, in this case newer doesn't always equate to better when it comes to AMD drivers and legacy fun.

I think I will release something for the people that don't want to fiddle, and just want a stable driver for their old cards that just works out of the box so they can just get on with with their life and play their games without many issues.

(Feedback on non-working games/bugs with apps welcome)

A hybrid 11.12, the last one that works decently without too many problems before the quality went pear shaped for legacy cards, but it has still been modified/improved/corrected by me.

FAQ.

Why don't I just d/l 11.12 official ones instead of these ?

Because things are still broken, even in later drivers after it, with more broken besides, Avivo removed etc.

Well what does this one offer me then ?

- Totally normal install method.

- User profiles of 12.x working on 11.x series and backported. (tested)

- GPU accelerated media transcoding functionality fixed (broken since 11.9... A's video converter, Mediashow espresso, Powerdirector working again)

- OpenGL and OpenCL transplanted to their latest legacy versions (the only seemingly useful parts of 12.6) to minimise bugs and have maximum amount of hardware accelerated OpenGL extensions
    (some old OpenGL games work again such as cities in motion and the polynomial, maybe more that never have worked on 4K series ever since Catalyst 10.5).

- 60fps again in BFBC2 unlike 38fps post 12.3 driver, and no black crossfire flickering.

- Fully working CCC without stuck items or dissappearing items, non slow opening, and user profiles work fine on Hybrid 11.12 driver for all the DX games I tested them with.

- No multi gpu/crossfire clock bugs to worry about burning up your cards at the desktop post 8.950 Catalyst 12.2 driver.

- No crossfire IE9/FF browser gpu accelerated slow as molasses rendering bugs that can be found in other 12.6 Reloaded thread affecting all drivers 12.1-12.4b, fixed in 12.6 but performance in games is worse, see BFBC2 above.

- ATI tray tools works. (dll's was pulled after 12.2 preview driver)

- WEI scores back to where they were before 12.4 was released at least in crossfire. DX10/11 atidxx seems to be the issue here after 12.3 along with missing polygons/textures in games, the post 12.3 atiumdag.dll DX9 is fine, the atidxx.dll DX10/11 ones post 12.3 are slower than previous 12.3 and below on legacy hardware.

- Latest Caps integrated in install and Avivo and Hydravision integration of course, and no worthless fluff that doesn't apply to 4K series like AppEx, SteadyVideo etc.

All in all, simple, solid, stable, and not missing any options later drivers would provide like user profiles. A set it and forget it driver with no hassles, and a driver not too old that it still works very well with the latest caps properly without issues. (tested)

I've tested and had them installed for months. As it turned out I didn't like the 12.x series for 4870x2 (too many weird issues) even though I made a 12.6 reloaded driver released here months ago I wasn't happy with the results.

So I'm offering these instead for anyone that wants the last 11.x series driver but misses the user profiles, fixing a few encountered issues along the way. These are the ones I use in preference day to day myself and have minimal problems...

Windows Vista/7 x64 only. Don't ask for x32 or Windows 8, I don't have the time these days, neither will I entertain Windows 8. WYSIWYG.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bkr65lbbdcwenzk

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. Keepcool

Keepcool Guest

GPU:
    4870 512mb CFx
    I know... I know... but I did it...

Windows 8 pro in compatibility mode install fine.
    Custom install, I chose profiles too it wasn't chosen and I don't need Hydravision.
    I don't know what to do with avivo but I always left it.
    Cleaned before with TwL cleaner and driver fusion cleaner in safe mode
    After install it ask me to reboot witch I did so far so good.
    Now I'm going to test.
    Thanks

3. zizomania

zizomania Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    I like your posts
    and i read this post happy and carefully to begin download
    but when i read it is only for 64 bit .:(:(:( i got confused.

I only use 32 bit windows 8.

thank you anyway.

4. Keepcool

Keepcool Guest

GPU:
    4870 512mb CFx
    Hello Kev..!!

Any improve/change of this drivers..? I'm always using it (windows 7 x64 compatibility mode)
    I can use Catalyst Application Profiles 12.11 CAP2 with it..?

Do you foresee something for windows 8... soon or latter you have to.. I mean way not.

Thanks..

5. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    12.11 cap 2 can be used, but not 12.11 cap 1 as user profiles will stop working, as there is something wrong with those first 12.11 cap 1 installation files.

Nothing new, as "nothing new to work with" since April from out of AMD. Dissapointing really, I was kind of hoping to play with 12.9. Anything else added to them would just be token updates like the atiogl.xml file ripped from later non legacy drivers. People can replace that themselves. They pretty much work consistently for me and are fine left as they are with less problems I have noticed...The goal was to be robust and reliable, without none of the problems of later drivers but with some of the benefits like user profiles.

Can't see me moving to Windows 8, I'm too oldschool to learn changes to the way of working with gestures. I guess it's fine if you have a tablet, but on the 2 desktop's I work with it has no place for me and just seems awkward.

I think I improved it as much as I can, working user profiles on 11.x series drivers. Without the headaches of the 12.x series.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Gonna try this now and let you know if i come across any issues with it. thanks for taking the time to do this mate!

7. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Great crossfire scaling with these drivers (scaling almost never hits the 90's with 12.6 legacy) gameplay feels much smoother.

Tested it on a couple of games so far...

Ghost Recon Future Soldier runs much smoother and stutters much less than 12.6. With the settings maxed out with AO (except shadows, set to medium...not enough VRAM) @ 1920x1200 i could not get the game to stop lagging or stuttering with my fps capped at anything over 30fps with 12.6. now i can cap out @ 35fps same settings stutter free (could probably do 40 but that would mean tolerating some stutter).

Have not been able to play Alan Wake with 12.6, period. Crazy lag and poor CFX scaling. capped @ 35fps max settings (MSAA set to 2x) @ 1920x1200 with this driver.

And well....Darksiders II....
    12.6 performance is actually better this time. In-game settings AA High, Shadows Medium and AO off, RadeonPro Volumetric AO set to High and @ 1920x1200 (running on 1 GPU) i could cap out @ 35fps.
    With this driver i'm lucky if i get 30fps, mostly stays around 25fps average.

Is there anything than can be done to improve this?

Will try more games and report back.

8. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    You have 4GB RAM, CPU also OK -> use 64bit windows (the key for 32bit will probably work :) )

9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Fix for Crossfire users with Low Fps

May or may not help...

Go to 3D Application Settings in your CCC and at the bottom change the AMD Crossfire mode tab from "Default" To Use AMD Pre-defined Profile. Now scroll down on the list below and highlight DarksidersPC.exe

Then go up to Application profiles section and hit Save beside the tab that says New Application. Locate your Darksiders2.exe in your steam folder and thats it.

Was between 35-70 FPS depending on the area. Now a steady 85-120. Im still unable to force Vsync in CCC settings though but you're welcome to try.

10. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Ok so at first i tried it in RP and it did not work. Came to realise that 12.11 CAP2 did not work with the hybrid 11.12 driver because the Application Profiles for games were missing. Re-installed the CAP that came with the driver and the Darksiders Profile came up in CCC.

Overall the CFX scaling is much smoother. But i am getting some flickering shadows in Ghost Recon Future Soldier and in Max Payne 3 DX9 there is lots flicker coming from the lighting & Low fps in DX9 (compared to DX10.1).

Could this be a driver issue or CAP?

11. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    waiting for 32 bit plz

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    HYBRID 11.12r2 - Vista/Windows 7 x64

- Fixed green screen flash/DXVA video issues for some users inherant in normal 11.12's plaguing some users depending on H/W. Thanks to Sasquatch_04 for the report.

- Fix OpenGL gpucapsviewer vertex displacement mapping, other various OpenGL messed up profile errors.

- Fix OpenGL Cinema4D black viewports/Cinebench instablility.

- Latest caps.

- No other functional changes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3e8eu017tsaiixy

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  13. labodj

labodj Guest

GPU:
    AMD Mobility HD4670 1GB
    Hi, I'm trying to install this driver for a mobility radeon hd4670, but It doesn't install, can I use it with my mobility radeon? if yes, how can I install it?

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  15. Keepcool

Keepcool Guest

GPU:
    4870 512mb CFx

I never encountered this bug with this drivers (HYBRID 11.12, Firefox18, Always latest Flash 11.5.502.146, Windows8 x64 pro)

Downloading this HYBRID 11.12r2....

Thanks

16. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I don't see green videos either on the 11.12 Hybrid, using Flash 11.5.502.146 too, but then again i don't use XBMC..., I use MPCHC x64 and VLC.

Looks like multiple cards in some configurations for green-o-vision, it's certainly not multiple monitors, I have those.

If some do have it though with 4870 CFX, like for instance one version works fine, yet on another ppl report it doesn't work, then I will try to solve it for them, as for all intents and purposes they're unusable for those with the green video artifacts, while those that it doesn't affect will never see it so never complain.

17. Wojszwillo

Wojszwillo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD7870
    Why You simply don't try Windows 8?
    There a lot of speaking about "gestures on desktop on Windows 8", but there are much less trying in reality Windows 8 on desktop and not only speak about what they have only read :bang:
    There AREN'T ANY problems to work with Windows 8 on desktop and in desktop mode any gestures aren't needed...
    In desktop mode (or on Desktop App) - Windows 8 is upgraded Windows 7.
    And simply You will not have anymore "Start" button, but You will have "Start screen". For me - its better :)

18. labodj

labodj Guest

GPU:
    AMD Mobility HD4670 1GB
    So am I unable to use your modded driver (12.6 & 11.12)?

EDIT: I installed 12.6 r3 just fine... so 12.6 has mobility cards support, are you plan to add support for mobility in 11.12?

19. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Ok, i can confirm that DXVA and hardware acceleration in Flash is working again, no more green screen.

Haven't done any tests with games yet.

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Ok, thanks, good no more green DXVA/Flash at least for those that had it. In that case the 12.6 V6r3 should be fixed as a result as well.

There are no changes for gaming performance with 11.12 Hybrids except for perhaps slightly updated caps and OpenGL tweaks, so it should perform exactly the same as the first release.

labodj : maybe later for 11.12HB but not a priority, for now there is the 12.6 one usable for mobility.