7xxx series artifacts/flickering poll

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d.B., Oct 9, 2012.

?

How have you resolved the flickering issues?

1. Switching my card to another system resolved the problems.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Replacing the card (with a card of the same model) resolved the problems.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. A change in software configuration solved all of the problems.

20 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. I have tried all of the above methods, and none have worked.

34 vote(s)
    37.8%
  5. No flickering

34 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    well, to be honest,

it only happened once to me,

i was playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2013,

and when i was just about to begin a match, after the loading,

the entire field is suddenly pitch black, and i exit to main menu,

and try to begin a match again, and its back to normal, and it haven't happen again.

i'm was using 12.9 beta when that happened, and i'm still on 12.9 beta right now.

2. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    well it strongly depends on what games you are playing. Some games are flicker-free others show it random and rarly. Many people may have not notice it yet.

3. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    @OP and everyone :
    to make it easier to test, put a list of games that have this, and during what this happens.

so that other 7xxx owners can test it too,

after seeing some vids, i saw that it happens on skyrim and GTA IV,

but i don't have skyrim (haven't play it yet, but gonna buy it after it complete version of it is out, not gonna waste money on expensive DLCs) and GTA IV (i tried it, and my rig can't handle gta 4, so no buy for me, and i have uninstalled it and deleted it), so i can't test on it.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Can someone who has COD Black Ops, please use windows 8 with the latest drivers and see if there are any black flickering (like, random black polygons)? I think the maps cracked and Crisis are the easiet to notice.

Make sure you do a long test. Black Ops even had rare flicking in 12.5 betas but it was FAR FAR less severe than current drivers (in W7). One thing to note is that the maps load significantly faster (if precached) in 12.7/12.8 than in 12.5 betas and older, and the FPS is slightly higher in the newer drivers, too. Something to look at....

5. dragonhammer

dragonhammer Guest

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7970 3GB DDR3
    Sorry, never had flickering...

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    No flickers in my games. The only flickering I had was in GW2 when I enabled Supersampling in game the grass would flicker and dance around everywhere. You'd have to go to the character select screen and back into the game to fix it.

That was fixed in a CAP release, so no more flickering in GW2, BF3, Skyrim etc.

Also back in SWTOR, I had the map flicker on me, but that was also fixed in a CAP, and since the game flopped and I don't play it anymore.....well yeah. :)

I put a no flickering vote in. I don't mind sharing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  7. Cens

Cens Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB
    Hey all,

I have a Sapphire 7850 and am also suffering from black artifacts, mainly in Guild wars 2 and Skyrim. Sleeping dogs and Diablo 3 seem to run without artifacts. They come and go very quickly, so they are hard to notice, but they are definetly there.

I've tried all drivers from 12.4 to 12.9 beta in Windows 7 and 12.8 and 12.9 beta in Windows 8. My card is atm not overclocked and never gets hotter then 59C according to Gpu-Z. I did try adding 0,5 extra Volt and a light overclock but this didn't change anything so I turned everything back to stock settings.

Drivers definitely do make a difference though. 12.9 beta in Windows 7 gave me very clear artifacts numerous times an hour in Skyrim, and 12.9 beta in Windows 8 give me barely noticeable artifacts maybe once an hour. But they never disappear completely.

I am running out of options here, so I guess I'll wait for one more driver update to see what that does and otherwise RMA the card.

8. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Did you change anything in the CCC? Maybe you enabled or disabled smth which would help us?

Also: Can any Xfire user discribe how the flickering looks there? AMD often seem to fix "flickering" for xfrie setups i wonder if it's the same flickering as with single cards.

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    No I didn't do anything special besides install CAPS. Have you tried running your card at stock? It's possible you could have a bad card.

10. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    To be honest i wish that would be the case. But after RMA'ing the card 3 Times and beeing on the 4th with the same issues in 2 different PC's i doubt that.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Really not sure what to say then, wish I did.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've seen these complaints in numerous threads on various forums.... It's really disheartening as these really are great cards. Beyond Blizzard's typically graphics engine BS....my HD7870 never had an issue. Unfortunately, due to Blizzard's habit of destroying the performance of AMD cards with every graphics engine update...I had to switch back to nVidia. I really hope you guys can get this issue sorted. Sadly, I can't provide any assistance aside from saying that for some, it could be caused by an unstable power source (PSU)....

13. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    I thought that too. But i already tried another PSU. Didn't seem to change a thing.

14. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Games I've flickering: Borderlands 1 & 2, Dragon Age Origins

Games I don't have flickering: Skyrim, BF3, Dead Space 2.

All these games I play-ed lately. Here's my short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhVH8RbyBg&feature=plcp

I also get the 50 errors in memory. I tried 12.5 beta, 12.8 and 12.9 beta. A guy said it happens with 12.6 likewise, but it DOESN'T happen with 12.4... I'm tempting to try the old set. If 12.4 is able to remove the problem, I might keep a little more the card... but if in 12.10 official drivers the problem won't be resolved, I'm sending back the card as problematic.

Actually, I'll install now 12.4 and I'll report back.

Damnit... I'm almost 13-14 years gamer and first time I got AMD. Talk about bad luck Brian...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  15. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Flickering in Risen 2, Borderlands, Serious Sam HD First Encounter, Serious Sam HD Second Encounter, Fallout New Vegas.
    DX9 games, btw

16. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Xzibit, in Bordelands do you have the same problem as my video above shows ( I hope, at least )?

I recorded with the in-game Menu open because it happens more often... I was lucky. It isn't easily reproducible the moment I wish.

17. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Nope. I have strange image corruption in Borderlands 1. Some black lines:bang:

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Well... The video I got I guess isn't so good, but I've too strange flickering with black-something appearing/disappering in an instant. It's not specifically the waters or shadows etc...

Have you seen any video with your problem? I'd really like to see one...

19. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    You mean to make a video with image corruption on my rig?

20. zarker

zarker Member

GPU:
    sapphire 7870
    I had real chronic artifacts in the 12.4 XP version, but after upgrading to win7 I just see a few here and there (artifacts=tiny fragments of recognisable textures popping up for 1/2 second), mainly in one particular game: Railworks. I've see some rare artifacts in Empire and Shogun 2. Most other games are fine. I'm currently on 12.8 whql drivers. I've considered trying my card in two other PCs I have for some time, but after reading this thread I'm sure it's gonna help.

Artifacts only, I never see flickering.