AMD provides sneak peek on Radeon HD 7990

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 27, 2013.

1. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Reviews have also stated other things that you are ignoring. Things like how in practice, these things aren't particularly noticeable. Or that Nvidia's frame smoothing technique by its nature introduces additional latency.

So, I mean, there's a tradeoff. Additional latency, or uneven frametimes.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    In terms of what? In terms of uneven times it makes a huge difference.

FCAT shows otherwise for the most part. Both companies trade places depending on the game when you follow the frame through the whole pipeline.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Why is it that these things ALWAYS end up in an nVidia vs. AMD war?

Why can't we just get relevant information and take it for what it is? Not a single benchmark has surfaced, yet the 7990 is already doomed due to perceived issues. Driver problems, surprisingly, hasn't come up yet, but I'm sure it will now that I've mentioned it.

This forum, back in 2003 - 2008 was a different place altogether.

I, for one, am looking forward to benchmarks and actual real-world tests of the 7990. I've long been a fan of ATI/AMD dual-GPU cards, having owned every version that's been produced and NEVER had a single problem that wasn't my own fault.

Will it compete with the Titan? WHO CARES? What's the point of a thousand-dollar card beyond "I can afford it, so why not!?" That market is so small that there's just no room for competition. And those that have more than 1 of them - they clearly have disposable income greater than the rest of the population. And guess what? That card will be outdated by next year too, just like every other king of the mountain, either by another nVidia card, or an AMD card...

Psychlone

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    And the battle rages on...interesting to see AMD and Nvidia still slugging it out long after the initial release of the 79xx series.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    yes.

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Looks good, but won't this just perform the very similarly to the current 7990 offerings from Asus for example? Its just AMD are now making one themselves!? Or am I missing something here?

On a side note, I've ordered myself a MSI 7970 OC from Scan for £275, so anyone interested in a 7970 should head on over there as thats a great price and well I couldn't resist it ;)

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uhm its very noticeable, should i list some reviews saying cf is not as smooth as sli?

8. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Yes please do it ... we care a lot...

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Probably not because if that's the conclusion you reached then you're reading the wrong reviews. Up until 2 days ago all the reviews have been using fraps to record frametimes and latency. Fraps captures pre windows pipeline. FCAT, an nvidia released tool, shows different results. FCAT allows you to view the frame throughout the entire pipeline.

Arstechnica published an article using the FCAT tool and the results were significantly different than previous frametime articles. CF and SLI often trade places in both frame latency and consistency.

Anandtech also published an article about AMD and their opinion on frametiming. They pretty much said that they favor low latency over a smoother frame experience but they will update their driver to allow the user to decide.

So yeah, it's basically a problem both nvidia and AMD suffer from at this point and they both trade places in latency and stuttering depending upon the title.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    He IS right, CF is not as smooth as SLI. Nvidia have made SLI smoother by delaying frames by 1 frame apparently. We're missing the point here; currently, it's advisable to use VSync, flip queues, FPS caps to reduce / eliminate microstutter. Until the driver drops in July, where we can choose between smoothness and latency (SLi goes for smoothness by default).

Microstutter exists, this is a fact, many people notice it, even if it was minor (which it is often not with CF). SLI also has microstutter, but only now are some reviews showing this.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What you're saying is very interesting. Can you please link to the article?

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    In terms of why its going to get slated to buggery, it could be a single card, doesn't matter.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Why care if it has "issues" or not? it will be the fastest single gpu (dual chip) on the planet, that's all that matters.

Also since we dont know anything about it it could use the same PLX thing like nvidia's GTX690.. But no all bitch it will be crap, actually only nvidia fans always raise their voice, kinda tiresome to read this over and over again..

If someone says anything against nvidia he's a troll, a AMD fanboy, etc., sorry and no offense but you diehard NV fans are those trolls - like parasites :p :D

15. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Read 80% of the posts in this thread and you will see why I choose not to use Crossfire of SLI.... EVER. :wanker: lol

Its nothing but headaches, even on a forum.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its rumoured to be faster than the Asus Ares.

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Sli's been nothing but awesome for me, only issues that arise is from new releases that are waiting on NVidia or game devs to release and update or just messing around with sli profiles/bits can sort things without too much hassle.

As for the 7990, why are people comparing this to the titan? Isnt the 7990 dual core and the Titan a single. I think comparing to the gtx690 is what people should be doing.

18. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
  19. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I think a 7990 is not worth it when it performs about the same and is more expensive than two 7970 cards.

If you look at these forums than people have issues with their graphics cards and seems it doesn't matter whether that is SLI/CF or single card configs. People have more to write about problems than if all goes well. In that case they are just gaming. ;)

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You do realize that goes both ways AMD has their share of fanbois as well a few are on display in this thread. Me, even though I have 670 sli right now that does not mean I would not get one of these cards. I'm a fan of performance when I got my 670's they were the best for the money and that's all there is too it being dedicated to one brand over another on pure principal is just narrow minded and dumb.