Steam Controller Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by morbias, Sep 27, 2013.

1. amallica

amallica Guest

GPU:
    intel
    I had to create an account here, to give you a thumbs up for this comment, lol

Love live lonelyisland:banana:

2. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    ok for me this is the worst game pad ever see just check the buttons position the person who do that never have handle a game pad before is a disaster how in the world i willplay BF3 in that thing they need to think alot and redisign that thing in my case i am waiting for the xbox one controller looks amaizing.

3. Andrés

Andrés Guest

You guys need to have an open mind. I used to think the Playstation gamepad was the best and Xbox's was ****ty... until I tried it. Now the PS controller now looks and feels awful by comparison. We just have to try this new gamepad and see. Certainly some features are interesting!

4. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Is the trackpad a device that could marry the ability to perform relative and absolute inputs or is it a compromise between trying to enable both.

It can function as a thumbstick and it can function as a trackball. Can it do either well. I think it is down to how good the haptic feedback really is.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I didnt think it possible but some one actual made controller worse then Wii/Wii U controllers...

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    That's an opinion though. I use a 360 pad on PC and I have a PS3. I've used my 360 pad on PC countless times, as well as PS3 controller, and still prefer PS3's.

The same goes for this steambox "controller". Just more people are leaning towards the opinion of not liking it.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Anyone else read title as "Steam Roller Revealed?"

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The steep learning curve at becoming good at using a controller just got steeper...

Wouldn't knock it too much though, once mastered I'm betting it would be much better than a standard thumb stick.

Personally means little to me though lol, mouse and keyboard for life thanks.

I reckon this would work much better for the steam os than thumb sticks also.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. vulkanbros

vulkanbros New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670 DirectCU II
    This is soooo cool....
    Finally, someone who dares to do it differently......

10. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    looks like a dark vador sound systeme

11. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    Haptics

Trackpads, by their nature, are less physical than thumbsticks. By themselves, they are “light touch” devices and don’t offer the kind of visceral feedback that players get from pushing joysticks around. As we investigated trackpad-based input devices, it became clear through testing that we had to find ways to add more physicality to the experience. It also became clear that “rumble”, as it has been traditionally implemented (a lopsided weight spun around a single axis), was not going to be enough. Not even close.

The Steam Controller is built around a new generation of super-precise haptic feedback, employing dual linear resonant actuators. These small, strong, weighted electro-magnets are attached to each of the dual trackpads. They are capable of delivering a wide range of force and vibration, allowing precise control over frequency, amplitude, and direction of movement.

This haptic capability provides a vital channel of information to the player - delivering in-game information about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, action confirmations, or any other events about which game designers want players to be aware. It is a higher-bandwidth haptic information channel than exists in any other consumer product that we know of. As a parlour trick they can even play audio waveforms and function as speakers.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Analogue sticks aren't really that good. Too slow and not precise enough. I'm looking forward to this controller and the SteamOS. I've got a HTPC so I can put SteamOS on that and ****** games to my livingroom if I want. If it works that is.

Seriously you old farts, try something different for once....

12. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Cannot beat 101 and mouse xD

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

Looking forward to hear some experiences of people playing RTS on the couch.
    Besides the speed on those games, how on earth are people supposed to play that with more functions to bind then the gamepad will allow ?

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Wish it works but i dont think so.

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I guess Valve wasn't happy with the whole profit/margins that hey had so far from Steam. They got greedy and trying to "evolve/expand" and get into more technology segments...

Well, I wish they do well.. Competition is good... But I do really hope they do well, because some tried that before but...

When someone is trying to take over your whole living room with the whole central unit mentality, things usually don't go that well...

16. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    Perhaps this?

Touch Screen
    In the center of the controller is another touch-enabled surface, this one backed by a high-resolution screen. This surface, too, is critical to achieving the controller’s primary goal - supporting all games in the Steam catalog. The screen allows an infinite number of discrete actions to be made available to the player, without requiring an infinite number of physical buttons.

The whole screen itself is also clickable, like a large single button. So actions are not invoked by a simple touch, they instead require a click. This allows a player to touch the screen, browse available actions, and only then commit to the one they want. Players can swipe through pages of actions in games where that’s appropriate. When programmed by game developers using our API, the touch screen can work as a scrolling menu, a radial dial, provide secondary info like a map or use other custom input modes we haven’t thought of yet.

In order to avoid forcing players to divide their attention between screens, a critical feature of the Steam Controller comes from its deep integration with Steam. When a player touches the controller screen, its display is overlayed on top of the game they’re playing, allowing the player to leave their attention squarely on the action, where it belongs.

Buttons

Every button and input zone has been placed based on frequency of use, precision required and ergonomic comfort. There are a total of sixteen buttons on the Steam Controller. Half of them are accessible to the player without requiring thumbs to be lifted from the trackpads, including two on the back. All controls and buttons have been placed symmetrically, making left or right handedness switchable via a software config checkbox.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    That sounds horrible. browsing for functions that you usually can use when pressing a single key. swiping through pages of actions LOL

18. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    wow, allot of people sound like old people who are not willing to give something new a chance because their old stuff works just fine for them..

19. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
  20. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    I was skeptical at first but the impressions sound positive and the touchpads provide haptic feedback! :banana:

I was considering getting an Xbox One controller for my PC gaming when it eventually get supported in 2014 but may get this instead. Let's hope it won't be priced at $100+