Geforce Experience impressions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by helder, Apr 25, 2013.

1. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Completely useless for me. I usually have newer drivers already installed 2 days before they even appear in experience. It also configures settings way too low for my system. It recommends less than maximum settings in games that run at 60 FPS on my system at maximized settings, occasionally even with the cards clocking down because of little load. I just always forget to finally uninstall it again.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just installed GeForce Experience for the second time (since the v320.00 beta NVIDIA updater overwrote it) and, again, the installer does not exit once the app has been installed even though the GFE software is running and usable! The installer says it is still installing and I am unable to close it manually since everything is greyed out. Stupid bug.

3. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    I had to stop reading right there.

4. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    970 OC, 780 Ghz, 290X Tri
    EDIT: Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, in which case, I apologize. I noticed the other thread about problems with Borderlands 2 framerate. I didn't even realize Borderlands 2 had those issues. Sorry if I touched a nerve. Borderlands 2 should be at least a 60+ FPS game on any good card from the past few years, hope they get that sorted out.

This seems to be a problem across the board with the optimized recommendations, they're very conservative/overkill. My guess is, because Nvidia is targeting the average crowd, they might be factoring in the likelihood that some people are running a bunch of useless extra stuff while they're gaming?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

5. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Running a game at native resolution should always be #1 priority. It's a pity this software isn't coded to reflect that.

6. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    I agree, and, to go a bit further, the program should also take into account the refresh rate of the screen and perhaps even the specific model and EDID data if available.

It could even assist with downloading and installing the color profile released by the monitor manufacturer, but, yeah, I think we'd all want a toggle to force 4:4:4 for 1080p before that...

7. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Just a little bit, I am a massive Borderlands fan, so Borderlands 2 performance was a real kick in the teeth - specially as at the time, I had 680 SLI.

Absolutely, unfortunately this is not the case, despite me having 1 680, 2 680, then one 7970, then 2x7970.

So naturally reading your comment unless you had a card/PC from an adjacent galaxy.. or of course your own personally coded version, it was inaccurate :D

It is important we do not let the developers off the hook by shouting off we get solid 60+ FPS in Borderlands 2 - we don't and we are angry about it :D

Even with PhysX on LOW, it's a POS.

8. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    I play with everything maxed (including PhysX) and capped at 60 FPS with just one 470 GTX SC. So, yeah, I think it's definitely a driver issue that's slowing things down for the 600 series. I imagine they'll iron it out one way or another.

Keep in mind I'm running at 1920x1200, so I'm sure I wouldn't be able to maintain those settings on higher resolutions.

Also, I don't keep framerate monitoring on all the time, just for tweaking every so often. I don't know what framerate is on my setup when tons of PhysX items are on screen, but it's never been an issue to where I thought framerate just died. Now Tomb Raider, on the other hand...

In any case, I honestly think what you're experiencing (especially on the Nvidia setup) is related to driver issues.

9. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    good app for me. I set all my game to optimal performance and verified in game if i miss something. :3eyes:

10. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    Have you run into any of the strange resolution recommendations?

11. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I haven't faced any difficulties using the GeForce Experience thingie, but I always use nVIDIA Inspector to optimise my settings anyway so it's more like and application running just to inform me whenever a new WHQL or BETA driver is available as the default nVIDIA Update has never worked out for me.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No in borderlands your still getting the sub 60FPS dips even with fermi cards heavyhemi gets them with a 580 as a dedicated PhysX card it's a driver issue yes but it effects more than just Kepler.

13. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    Borderlands 2 seems to be an emotional topic. I'll go ahead and replace it with Dishonored in the first post. I'm sorry some of you are having issues with Borderlands 2, but there is a thread dedicated to that already.

On another note, GE recommends SSAO in Far Cry 3, and I've personally had a much better experience using HBAO for that game...

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

It's not emotional. It just your claim of running a solid 60 FPS with all the settings maxed isn't credible. I've run it. Even with SLI 580's with a GTX 470 dedicated to PhysX, during heavy PhysX scenes the game stutters badly. Some areas standing still would drop FPS into the mid 60's FPS. And this is on a system considerably more powerful than what you're using. It's not 'some of us having issues' it's a well documented issue with performance.

15. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    Well, I already explained I don't keep framerate monitoring on all the time. I explained it at length and in detail, and the issue was pretty much closed. If you'd read the thread, then you'd have seen that.

Again, sorry you're having issues, but it's not the topic of this thread. I hope your issues are resolved soon, and there's already a thread where you can talk about your BL2 frustrations at length with everyone else who's angry about it.

Back on topic, Witcher 2's recommendations are so low, I honestly don't know what they're thinking. I could understand reducing shadows, etc... but "LOD Minimal" is a bit much.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    My bad for responding on topic to a post you made minutes earlier. I'm quite well aware of that thread and also well aware of which threads I choose to comment in. Personally I can see some value for less experienced users for this program. I've not bothered with it since upgrading to TITANS. I would doubt they've optimized games for them to any extent.

17. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    I don't think they've optimized for much of anything aside from a baseline for people who aren't as experienced with tweaking. It's definitely not meant for anyone using Nvidia Inspector, etc... Though, I think they might branch out into multiple profile recommendations for each game in the future, and there might be some benefit to this. If I can switch between a high and low profile on the fly, it will save time when I'm trying to compare performance.

Though, GE doesn't change any Nvidia control panel settings yet, maybe this is the next step for the program.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  18. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    I would never use that software but there are TONS of people who play games in the wrong (non native) resolutions....so I can see this making sense. Not anyone is a graphics card guru like most of us :)

19. ultralo

ultralo Guest

GPU:
    xfx RX480 8GB
    Yeah im. Getting low setting and some games like farcry 3 dont have a profile..

20. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    It does have a farcry 3 profile make sure you add the location you install your games too