AMD Driver DLLs Repository and Performance Survey

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, May 30, 2015.

1. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
    @PrMinisterGR

BF4 on mantle now loads up with the added files. :)

2. fullban

fullban Guest

GPU:
    AORUS GeForce 1080ti
    this is great stuff!!

thanks for this my friend

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Ok guys, I have made an online survey that we can use as a base to check what is best for which hardware or configuration. If we start answering it, we'll start having meaningful data.

Here's the link to the survey.

I will add a link to the initial post of the thread.

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm trying to find 13.1 to download now. I have updated the original post with a survey, it would be very nice if you can reply in there, it won't even take a minute and it requires no login.

Awesome! That's fixed then.

5. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    I took the survey and really like the idea! If enough people contribute, it could become a reliable and useful indicator of which drivers are best for certain games on certain hardware.

However, I'm afraid people will just select their current driver without having tested many or any others and mark it as 'fastest'.

The game list should be expanded of course, it's still missing many AAA titles.

Some titles that could be added:

Alice - Madness Returns
    Bionic Commando
    Bionic Commando Rearmed
    Brutal Legend
    Castlevania Series
    CitiesXL Series
    Deadpool
    Dead Space series (1, 2 & 3)
    Devil May Cry Series
    Dragonball Xenoverse
    Epoch
    Hard Reset
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Magrunner
    Mars - War Logs
    Remember Me
    Sleeping Dogs & HD
    Syndicate
    Resident Evil Series (4HD, 5, 6, Rev 1&2)
    Trine Series

The options are still a bit lacking as well, ending with "Which driver you believe is the fastest in the selected game(s)?". That depends on the definition of speed. For example, some drivers can give higher average frame rates in certain games, yet exhibit more load stutters in-game than other drivers. Not sure if I should consider that 'faster'. Also, sometimes driver preference is not about speed, but about stability/artifacts/graphical glitches.

I'm certain you're already aware of these matters and will find a way to include this stuff. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll change the wording, what I really want to see is which driver is the most suitable for each game. Also, please tell if you want me to add some games. It's very easy to do so.

7. derideor

derideor Guest

GPU:
    r290x 4Gb
    Hey there, I tried around a bit with the new DDL's and Wichter 3.

Sadly, I get crashes with everything newer then 1023.

I am running a r290x with 10% power target on a x64 Win7 system with the 15.5 driver.

Any suggestions?

Here is a dump from the crashinfo when using 1023.3.
    pastebin.com/GQnTY9KX

edit: forgot to add that i tried running it with admin/test mode/with AV turned off.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    using SweetFX/Reshade? rename DXGI.DLL

9. derideor

derideor Guest

GPU:
    r290x 4Gb
    I do, but not for Witcher 3.

In syswow64? --its a bit late... no, there is no dxgi.dll in the witcher 3 folder.

But now that you mention it. i am using a hacked .exe with 21:9 support.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I don't know. Should DXGI.DLL be in system wide dir like syswow64?
    Rename if so.

Should be in The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt\bin\x64

Are you getting an immediate crash, right after the launch, without even seeing startup screen?

11. derideor

derideor Guest

GPU:
    r290x 4Gb

Yeah... i was a bit thick there.

This is inside my folder:
    imgur.com/rcT3F1J

Using the original .exe changes nothing though.

And yes, it crashes directly, before any startup screens.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Dir looks OK.
    I would suggest reverting to default/uninstalling all the little tweaks, unnecessary system wide apps, services, startup programs that you had made... that you can think of.

Something you have done in the past has finally caught with you. I think...

13. derideor

derideor Guest

GPU:
    r290x 4Gb
    I was able to catch a minidump of the error; could you do something with that? ^^

14. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    nice mantle works now. With 15.5 DLLs I get almost 19mil where with other modified drivers I get about 16.5-17.4mil. I play bf4 so hppy with results. will use 15.5 Mantle files for that.

15. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Clarify please;O!

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nice, good news bro.

17. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
    What is your score with the 1018 drivers?
    On my setup, the 1018 appear to give best stable framerate perf with lowest cpu usage

18. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    will test with 1018 dll's now and post back.

with 1018 i get lower mantle draw calls

15.5 almost 18.5-19mil
    1018 17.1mil

19. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Hey there! Sure.

13.4 is the last driver in the 13.xx series that has no desktop mouse cursor slowdown in any of the corners of the screen.

Later drivers in the 13.xx series re-introduced a weird issue where the mouse cursor slowed down when on the upper right corner of the screen, which later on moved to the lower right. The 'slowdown spot' (a square box of pixels that slowed down cursor movement) later moved even further down and was only noticable on an y-resolution of 1200 or higher in later drivers and got fixed again eventually somewhere in the 14.xx drivers, I think. The issue also occured several years back in the 10.12 and early 11.xx drivers, more can be found about it on Google, you can still find descriptions of the issue here and here for example, and more recently in the 13.11 drivers here), so you might want to use these drivers as the drop back to default desktop driver from the 13.xx series (I know I do).

However, it can corrupt the visual representation of your desktop mouse cursor (unless you don't use a cursor scheme, then it will never get corrupted, but most people use the W7 scheme by default). For games, you basically never want to use the 13.4 drivers, except for Deadpool. For some reason, 13.4 loads up Deadpool quicker and caches faster (also in-game) than any driver before or after (I monitor memory access times quite extensively, HD6950, Win7 64bit).

13.8b2 is the first driver that fixes the obnoxious load stutters encountered in Resident Evil revelations 1 (as also mentioned by a representative of Capcom over here), without touching much else, but Deadpool will be slower on these so you don't want these for Deadpool.

13.10b2 is the last driver that runs Resident Evil 6 without the odd persistent hiccups that occur everywhere in the game, even in the main menu. This still hasn't been fixed today (HD6950, Win7 64bit).

13.12 is basically the best driver version from the 13.xx series all around. It takes care of some memory management problem which was apparently affecting the performance of many AMD cards before, and massively decreases load times and reduces load stutters in a huge amount of D3D games (Syndicate and Dishonored being very clear examples, also basically any UE3-game will benefit from these, except for Deadpool). I'm pretty sure the fixes meant for Resident Evil Revelations 1 made their way to other D3D games in 13.12 and these drivers are usually my safest bet when I run into issues while playing games.

For some reason, Resident Evil Revelations 1 shows an increase in load times and stutters on any driver past 13.12, so AMD apparently forgot about the title again, which isn't surprising. Like the mouse cursor stutter issue, many issues get fixed and then get reintroduced later on, which demonstrates why it is so important to have the *.dlls of many different drivers available for testing.

Unfortunately, you are. I know it's a hassle, but ATi/AMD has the habit of fixing things only to break them again later on. For a nitpick like me, it's ESSENTIAL to have a database with all these different old *.dlls, they WILL make a difference. I got loads of examples to back that up.

While typing this I remembered another annoying issue from the past, which I dug up again. In-game anisotropic filtering didn't work in Tomb Raider Underworld on the flagship card from back then. Forcing the setting through the driver worked, but introduced weird glitchy and distracting lines in shadows all over the place. ATi/AMD fixed that issue when some moderators, users and I submitted a bug report. Forcing anisotropic through the driver worked flawlessly during two full Catalyst releases, only to be broken again at the third release. Never got fixed again. Finished the game and haven't touched it in years, so it might be fixed now on my current card with current drivers, don't know.

20. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    15.5 beta i see 1-2 fps boost on witcher 3 (win 7 x64 ).