Catalyst AA Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Added AA compatibility results for various games and in various API to the second post.

2. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    You can install Radeon Pro tool to enable the "Enhance" and "Override" options dropbox in CCC for the Radeon 5000 cards.

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  3. Matas

Matas Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D 6950 2GB@990/6300
    Using 11.9 WHQL and getting all drop down boxes and MLAA in CCC.

4. Isbre

Isbre Guest

GPU:
    290X Matrix H2O
    Morphological filtering was made available to the Radeon 5xxx series from Catalyst 11.1 i think.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Offtopic, but how are you getting the GPU info and that to overlay in the game at the top left?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    MSI Afterburner.

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

The catalyst AA game compatibility list (Post #2) has been updated.

Member feedback is welcome as missing/non-tested games and AA settings can be updated to the main list.

8. Zahn

Zahn Active Member

GPU:
    VTX HD 6870
    Can someone with older cards than HD 6970/6950 say does the enhance application settings works if unlocked using Radeon Pro?

I can see the option but im not shure does it works, cuz i can also see Morphological AA , and morph. cant work on my cards cuz they are not DX11.

But i was also reading that only HD 6970 and 6950 can use enhance application settings cuz their ROPs can handle that.

Any experience on this by other members?

9. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    don't bother with MLAA on your card it may work if you force it but the FPS hit would make any game near unplayable cept for maybe the likes of Quake 3 :3eyes: which looks nice with mlaa turned on

10. GaBBa-Gandalf

GaBBa-Gandalf Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD6970 2GB
    Why doesn't support AMD SSAA (Downsampling) for DX11 like nvidia :( ?

11. Zahn

Zahn Active Member

GPU:
    VTX HD 6870
    @Athlonite i dont bother with MLAA, i think you didnt understand question good.

What i wanted to ask is does ENHANCE APPLICATION SETTINGS (EQ) work on cards that are not HD6970/HD6950.

12. SicKlown

SicKlown Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE x2
    EQAA has a hardware requirement(a new ROP design) that is only found on Cayman. You might be able to hack the driver's .ini to show the option, but you won't get the effect.

13. Zahn

Zahn Active Member

GPU:
    VTX HD 6870
    Thx 4 the reply , so in reality unlocking hidden options using Radeon Pro means sh.. :)-

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

AA game compatibility list updated.

Added Arma 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum.

Note:

Strangely can't seem to get MLAA to work in Arma 2 even thugh it's dx9, might have something to do with the way the game adds 3d rendering after (3d resolutions can be changed from within the game while maintaining monitor resolution). Will keep an eye on this in future driver releases.

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

AA game compatibility list updated.

Updated:

Battlefield 3, Deus EX: HR (dx9/dx11), Crysis 2 (dx9/dx11), Cod 4: Modern Warfare.

Added:

Cities XL 2012, Deus EX: HR Missing Link (dx9/dx11)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

17. Black_Lion

Black_Lion Member

GPU:
    HD5870 1 GB
    Hi there.
    Sonic Generations is NOT working with ANY tipe of AA / SSAA. The prof are the above screen shots. SSAA haves a pretty heavy impact on the graphics smoothness and in the screens shots above posted / in my computer it stays the same.

Also, in my system (Using HD 5870 here) using the most recent Catalyst Center Drivers, when i activate SSAA, i got a black screen for ALL 2D Scenes. If i get into a level, i can play it normally, however it will not display the HUD bars, or anything that is being rendered 2D.

MLAA Seems not to apply properly to 3D, at least i can't spot any difference in the 3D scenario, only in the 2D stuff.

This game, lets say, is as broken as Sonic & Sega All Star Racing in therms of AA. S&SASR only worked with SSAA for me after i renamed its .exe name to DarksidersPC.exe, although this trick does not work with Sonic Generations (it makes its graphics even worse).

Lets hope AMD Fixes this in its Profiles / next Catalyst :deflate:

18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

AA/MLAA is working but it's very subtle, you can confirm MLAA is being applied by using any sort of OSD like msi afterburner and you'll notice the text goes blurry indicating mlaa is being applied to the image also SSAA is working and this can be confirmed by looking at the vram usage in both shots as with ssaa enabled it doubles. I also did notice the missing text menu when using SSAA but thought it was a random bug and didn't investigate any further.

But yes it's very subtle and hopefully will be fixed along witht he missing text in the next catalyst drivers.

19. Black_Lion

Black_Lion Member

GPU:
    HD5870 1 GB
    SSAA or any other AA is not being applied correctly, which means, it is only eating Vram and GPU resources and not improving a single bit the image quality. As for MLAA, in 2D texts we can see it applied, but on the 3D itself it isn't thats what i was saying. Lets wait for some game patch that can fix some ridiculous bugs i encountered (and maybe this bug too, but not likely), or hopefully a new driver that fixes this game :)

PS: Your username, made me thought that i had registered in the forums with the wrong name :hatty:.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

lol :)

well I can't confirm or deny how much AA is being applied as if anything it's very subtle and the vram increase would suggest there's something happening. However when using enhance the application AA there was no noticeable effect or gpu usage increase so it was marked as inconclusive.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.