Asus GTX 690! Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Koniakki, May 4, 2013.

1. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Honestly this creeps me out pretty badly.

I never new anything about this, and as I love SKYRIM would have been a consideration, although, I don;t know if ANYTHING can help TESV.exe.

I am sensitive to ANY stutter specially playing on a 55inch screen, using a controller, at 60 FPS 60hz VSYNC ON, one stutter and I feel like I fell out my (very comfy) chair, BF3 runs like a madman on my 680 SLI and I am not on about frame rate, I am on about fluidity and frame latency consistency (bar the dodgy B2K maps)

So I would be interested to hear more about this 690 and it's special hardware stuff and why it has it and what EXACTLY it does.

Sounds interesting.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I mean no disrespect but Skyrim is crap it's not that good a game really (opinion) and it is so buggy that I just stopped even worrying about it and uninstalled it.

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Thank you chispy. That was a pleasure to read and I agree.

I wish you two the best. :D

I agree totally about the things you said about the 690 and I wanna add that although 2GB is "sufficient" imho most of us we just over-exaggerate about the VRam. No flaming or anything. It's my personal opinion.

I had my Palit 680 JS for almost a year and never had any problems.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Oh I agree the 2GB is over exaggerated, my main rig (which is down right now as I am going water) has two 670 FTW 2GB in it and I run a surround setup with three 1080p e-IPS monitors I have really no problems running any game as long as I use no AA (which I don't use anyways).

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Right lets get one thing straight, The 690 blows any other card released by Nvidia out of the water for performance, that is a fact. The 690 is also 1 year old and its still up at the top of the tree regarding Nvidia cards.

At 1200p the 690's Vram is more than enough unless your playing a heavily modded skyrim with lots and lots of HD mods then 2GB is ok. For the time being for atleast the next 2 years minimum i would say.

New consoles arnt out yet and even when they do come out the first batch of games are ALWAYS average with one killer game out of the whole lot being anygood which probably wont be released on PC due to exclusive rights to the console.

So it will be a while before any new cards are utilized properly as hardware is only as good as the games that use it otherwise its just an expensive PCB that its apparently powerful on paper.

As for 680's in SLI vs 690 well the 680's are faster give or take 70mhz roughly. Very good Overclocked 680's will go more on the oc of around 100mhz+, some even hit 1300mhz but these are few and far between especially in SLI configuration.

However the 690 runs cooler,runs on less power, takes up less physical space and isnt as loud as 2x680's, it also looks nice physically.

Its a nice trade off for around 70-100mhz on average.

Its also been reported that the 690 has less stutter than 2x680's in sli and its been proven here. I do not think there is any stutter on the 680's in sli tbh as ive owned loads of these over the years and hardly noticed any and if there was it was fixed with drivers and refreshed cards.
    http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-690/8/

The Hardware based frame metering eliminates any microstutter, i have not seen any and many users on many forums report that the card runs smooth as butter with games.

With a bios mod like KGB all or most 690s should go over 1200mhz which is nice, its also very easy to do and you dont get none of this throttling crap that you get with other nvidia cards like Titan.

There are lots of 690s that go over 1200mhz without a bios mod and that is on air!

The 690's weak spot is the 2GB of Vram, if you look your games maxxed out while using ingame AA you will be fine at 1920*1200 or under. You can even go high using downsampling depending on what your monitor can handle.

As soon as you start adding AA through Nvidia inspector like MSAA+ SGSSAA this is where you take a massive Vram hit as Nvidia inspectors AA is much more demanding than ingame AA and it looks much better also.

Titan is a great card but i expected more for the price that it is and considering the 690 is 1 year old i expected the Titan to blow the 690 out of the water and it didnt.

Titan is a nice choice to go for but for less performance and a much higher price its a tough one to call.

6. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Veteran... You had me at "The 690 blows any other card..." my friend.. :D

On a side note. Guys thank you very much. I will get the card for a total price of 620euros. That cheap bastard wanted 640 I was saying 600 so we ended up at 620.

I will keep you posted in the benchmark sections when I overclock the **** out of the card.. :D

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Enjoy you won't be disappointed.

8. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Guys, I just got the ASUS 690 in my hands like half hour ago. Because my Z77 & 3770K are still on their way to me, my current Rig consists of a meager C2D E4500@3Gzh with 2GB ram single channel. lol.

Can some of you recommend some ways just to test in anyway(performance wise) my new shiny ASUS 690 on this fricking system? I tried Heaven and Valley.. lolol. That was a pleasure to watch. /sarcasm

Thanks.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Try old versions of 3dmark or just wait till you get your stuff.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i would said "yes, not too expensive and lot of fun"

but it is my opinion only :)

11. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I'm guessing that you meant to answer to they Yay or nay question..

It just confused me a bit because you posted after my post when I say I got the card already. :p

But nevertheless yeah, in the European market you cannot get two 680's or even two 670's in SLI for 600euros. Unless from some Forum members that are selling it cheap but that's a whole different story..

I could have gotten it even for 580euros or even a bit less if I pushed him even more but I brought him down from 700euros already and it took me 4 days(since Saturday) to convince him, so we settled at 600euros.

A bit too much money tho for my taste for ANY card since I would had never pay such an amound for a GPU but hell with it. It's a 690.

So in the end I got like lets say, 2 680's 2GB for 300euros each. I consider it a good investment besides the weak spot of the 690(Vram).

Well that's what I say so I can justify the HUGE 600euros hole in my finances right now. :D

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The vram on the 690 is a weak spot but its not as bad as people make it out to be. You will still be able to play all your games pretty much maxxed (via ingame menu's) out at 1200p or under and have plenty of vram to do that.

13. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Yeah I agree and if someone checks some previous post I made everyone can see that I stated already that imho the "weak" spot on the 690 which is consider the VRam is over-exaggerated.

No reason for beating a dead horse again, but if the 2GB effective on the 690 was that bad then every GTX 670/680 out there is "weak" then.

And I don't see anyone complain besides some specific games which indeed require more VRam but they ran just fine! I had a 680 2GB and I loved it. I finished Skyrim too with many HD mods and extra small ones and it played fine.

I game at 1080p and sometimes Downsampling from 2560x1440 and last time I check and I checked a LOT of reviews, the 690 had not trouble handling 2560x1440.

Future titles might change that, but it will hold me until Maxwell and maybe even more..