Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    The 300ZX is actually not unreliable. They are just hell to service.
    The more unreliable Japanese car is an FD RX-7.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    FD is rather unreliable yes tho so are all wankel engined cars for same reasons really. But can last for a longtime tho it needs careful care then. And proper apex seals :D

Wankel engine most I'm afraid of is flooding the damn engine and that is easy when engine is cold.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    they may not be the most unreliable, but they were still notoriously unreliable. Many imported to NZ required an engine rebuild at only 100K.

My sister had one in black with a moonroof, beautiful car. Cost her just under 10K in repairs. When the transmission crapped out she finally saw the light and got rid of it......

All u need to do is look on Google....

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    More research reveals strong argument from both sides over 300ZX reliability. Engine version and maintenance history seem to be an important factor..

Makes me wonder if the imports we got were poorly maintained by their original Japanese owners...

5. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I think that is the case for 90% of jap imports. When I came back to NZ in 2003 I wanted a Diamante but was told not as they were known for giving trouble, especially with the gear boxes. So for piece of mind, had gearbox flushed (Mitsi Tauranga had to do it 3 times it was so filthy), cambelt done and a full service. Did another 70000kms in 4 years and did nothing but oil changes on her. We need to realize that japanese traffic is considerably worse than NZ, so whilst it might be a 90,000km car, its probably been running for the equivalent of 50% more than that.

6. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    casual japanese owners almost never service their cars , they usually hold em for 60.000kms and then trade them for new...

most imports and halfcuts have 100.000+km and still the same gearbox oil , battery , coolant etc

the best japanese imports i ever had where those used for street racing with light modifications etc.... even though the drivetrain had been abused , engine wise they were still better than those owned by casual drivers. A differential or gearbox overhauling costs less than a new engine...

7. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    High performance (sometimes turbo charged) cars in mostly urban environments strikes me as a recipe for problems. The VG wasn't a bad motor generally.

8. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I think the issue is non-enthusiast owners in general.

High performance cars will be fine if looked after - but the average person who doesn't bother to ever change the oil and generally treats it with contempt is always going to be a recipe for badness.

Often hear it said that with a Wankel it needs to be caned regularly to burn **** off the apex seals - like Constant says, one that has been thrashed all the time but properly maintained would be a much better bet, I imagine.

I love the 300ZX. Would really like to own something like that, but the fuel costs here would be crippling. I imagine you're sub-20mpg most of the time :banana:

Old + Japanese + turbo = win. I can imagine that there's a lot to go wrong with those!

New rad on the 900 and now that and the Panda are doing alright with no looming disasters. First time in about 2 years that that has been the case :D

[​IMG]

9. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    one just wasn't enough...added #2 Vette to the stable :banana:

2015 Corvette Stingray Z51
    7 speed manual

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Not sure about the 4x exhaust tip design but holy **** I love the way that new Vette looks. :D

Perfect color combination too. Grats man.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Very nice. How's the 7 speed? Have you even had the chance to shove it into 7th yet? I've heard the shifter feels a lot better than previous generations.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    that new sexy stingray nomnom

13. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I've had it on the highway. Car still has less than 100 miles so I'm not really getting on it. That shifter and clutch is significantly improved over the previous generation. I have no problem rev matching but allowing the computer to rev match for you is insanely cool. If you enable it the second you go to downshift before you let out the clutch the engine RPMs go right to the exact RPM it needs to be for a smooth downshift.

The best part is the magnetic ride suspension. On the fly I can alter the suspension from soft with some body roll for comfort to break your back stiff with zero body roll and amazing handling.

14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    They are an amazing looking car. Been waiting for them to release a Vette with that style ever since the concept appeared in the one Transformers movie.

And the sound.... omg the sound..... just raw as hell, i LOVE IT!

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's the best car GM has ever made, period. Well worth the price of admission.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Sad thing is GM only assembles these cars, majority of the parts are sourced and made in china, from the block to to the body. Probably the reason they haven't improved quality.

@N0s

Make sure yours isnt affected by the recall, a percentage of the new stingrays are having airbag issues(which can be life threatening)

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Who isn't getting parts from China these days? GM is definitely the worst offender given they're the first to open OEM part factories over there, but the aftermarket has been all Chinese BS forever now. Mexico or China, take your pick. At least with Mexican sourced parts you can hope there's some coke dust on the product to help with installation.

Also the interior in the Stringray is leagues apart from previous generation corvettes, so it's a bit unfair to say the quality hasn't improved.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Of course all American companies are using china. People there will work for 3$ an hour, no way that will happen in the USA. Ford was forced to do the same as GM to be able to compete here recently.

Can't say much about the interior, but they made a right step by interchanging some of the plastic on the body for CF, but you can't use that as a determination of the quality of underlying parts.
    Over here, quality doesn't change much from chevrolet to cadillac, even though the price is quite a bit higher. Many of the same parts are interchanged between the two

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Meh, I mean I get what you're saying. But even Japan is sourcing a lot of stuff from China these days. The market has changed a lot in the last 10 years. The Japanese automakers were able to run away with the quality reputation because unions aren't really a thing in Japan. Something the big three could never really escape. Thus, corners were cut. The days of a true "American" car are basically gone anyway. Fun fact, the Taurus I just bought is the last truly American Ford platform (unless we want to count crown vic PI sales), with roots *SPAM* back to 1986. 85% of the parts were made in this country (and Canada) for this car, and the assembly was done in Atlanta. In fact, on October 27th (three days ago) in 2006, they shut the Atlanta plant down after the last Taurus came off the line. All of the Tauruses since are just Volvo platform abominations. The Fiesta and Transit Connect are UK designed and built, etc. All global BS now. And don't even get me started on Chrysler.

But yeah, I have a soft spot for cast iron pushrod engines. GM is the only one keeping them alive and relevant right now, so they get my respect. If they would just take those Daewoo abominations off the North American market, I would be happy.

20. buttrunks101

buttrunks101 Guest

GPU:
    480 GTX 22in
    [​IMG]
    Here is my 65 Falcon and behind me is my Dads 51 Chevy with 90s stepside bed.
    [EDIT] Hope the link works. Falcon is my first vehicle and not leaving any time soon. lol

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.