Crytek Halted Working On Homefront: The Revolution

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Grand Master

Grand Master Guest

GPU:
    1 GB GT 240@653/1721/4050
    Direct3D 11 is a strict superset of Direct3D 10.1 — all hardware and API features of version 10.1 are retained, and new features are added only when necessary for exposing new functionality. This helps to keep backwards compatibility with previous versions of DirectX.

So supporting older DXs at least 10 wont take that much time+they can maximize their sale.Its a dirty trick to force people to buy new hardwares.HD 5000 the first ever DX 11 capable GPUs series cames in the 2009.So its a pain in the backdoor for both AMD and nvidia if by the year of 2014 people still use DX 10 cards.Just like the windows xp and now windows 7 are for microsoft.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I don't think Crytek cares whether people buy new hardware or not ;). The company that really would care is Microsoft. It seems they will be pushing Windows 9 quite hard, and making DirectX 12 only compatible with Windows 9. Since games are typically also available on consoles Microsoft may insist on game developers making the PC version DirectX 12 only. This would not only help the developer make games it would be easier, but Microsoft would be hoping it would force people to Windows 9. Current DirectX 11.x hardware can be supported by this 'model'. The only way around this is for the game developers to have Mantle support with DirectX 12. Mantle will supposedly support the DirectX 12 features and shaders, but be able to run on Windows 8.1. Of course, thus far this will only advantage AMD users!

The thing is, at the moment, why would people want to pay for games when they don't even work properly, or are neutered? Think Watch Dogs. It's pretty pathetic when you think about it, how a couple of people in their spare time can adjust a few settings in the game and make it not only look considerably better but also run better. These settings taken out purely to make it look more like the console versions, Ubisoft's word's not mine! (well, saying having the 3 platforms look the same is saying the same thing). If people don't have good hardware, they can simply turn the settings down, they have that function in games anyway!

It makes sense for game developers to develop PROPERLY for PC (not just saying 'ooh we develop for PC as the lead platform because it sounds better to say we are'), simply because the PC version will be better, meaning that over time people will trust to buy games again (it won't happen with the first or second game that does that). It also means to go to consoles, which are architecturally similar now, they can cut graphics out in descending order of performance penalty. This would actually result in a higher quality console game as well, because it is much easier to cut things out without hurting visual quality considerably than to start with a low quality graphics and realising you can improve the look in some parts of the game.

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    This is what happens when you take a decent game and go in a direction that makes no sense for the 'sequel', and then do it again.

4. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    I also enjoyed Farcry3, even had a nostalgic moment after I had it finished.

Crysis1+Warhead was very good and unique imo, nothing could rival it's graphics at it's time, I still consider both a masterpiece.

Here's a little fact. Crysis1 was/is responsible for a lot of today's enthusiasts. Just ask around, plenty of today's gamers will openly admit that it was/is this specific PC game title that sparked their interest in building custom PC's. Also, because of it's graphical demand noobs and enthusiasts had to be on the edge of their seats practising their OC'ing skills in order to squeeze every drop of FPS/performance out of it.

...and lastly, that famous phrase 'But Will it Run Crysis?!'' that had been spread all over the web like a virus also marks my point that Crysis1 was indeed legendary and without it the PC scene and the experience would not had been as fun nor as interesting.

5. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    There isn't any except in his own little head.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Crysis and Warhead where good, 2 and 3 where sells outs to the console crowd to make quick buck, and apparently that didnt work out to well for them. and Ryse was flop

COD on the other hand is pure watered down fps trash, and no one will ever convince me other wise. Actual I think alot FPS games to come after halo have all been watered down trash for with console people in mind

Square Enix anyone??? hah

7. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    whilst everything you say is true - there is a little fact missing and that is that the crysis1 engine was very poorly optimized - it rendered everything the eye could see at the same level regardless of the distance where as other engines reduce the detail on objects after a certain distance to keep framerates higher. this is what caused it to humble even the highest end graphics cards of the time - which if my memory serves me correctly was a 8800GTX / Ultra.

you could get playable framerates on max settings if you SLI'd but it was frankly appalling how much you had to fork out just to enjoy the game the way it was intended.

8. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I will stay away from the hipster cool things to say that everyone seems to say about every game, movies, music and everything else. But Solo! All the cool kids are doing it now! Pfft... I liked all of the Crysis games with #2 being my least favorite. I loved the first couple and I loved 3. Too bad this is happening.

9. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I will stay even further away from you hipster cool kids and say that Crysis 2 was my favorite and played it for over 60 hours. Went though it on different difficulties then went though it again on hardest when Maldo bought out the texture pack.

Crysis 1 was my least favorite as the controls were not as slick to activate the suit abilities on the fly like the other two.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  10. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    nvm

Edge7 comments were removed,

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

11. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Meh, crysis cannot compare to the sheer brilliancy of the Metro series.

Best FPS SP: Metro 2033 MP: Bad Company 2

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This thread is actually about Crytek halting work on the next Homefront iteration....

13. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Agreed ! You got a video , make a site and upload it there.
    As for the topic at hand:
    The problem is that to many games are about graphics and not about having lots and lots of fun (story and game play). Think about the gamers souls and not they're eyes.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Homefront is a THQ IP, its cursed i tell ya.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oooo, I forgot about that!

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Too bad, i´m a great fan of the first Far Cry and Crysis, two of my favourites FPS. The problem is that after that they only made garbage...

Maybe it´s just me, but i´m thinking that Crytek is just another victim of EA´s widow´s kiss, like the companies that made Command and Conquer, Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper and so on. It seems every successful gaming company EA buys, they trash it just for fun. It seems like it´s EA´s main objective, destroy everything they touch... And their next casualty is Battlefield...

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    on other hand GTX 295 was already an old GPU card when Crysis 3 was launched... cannot blame them for that at least.

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    a bit true i have played the beta of BF Hardline... not good at all despite nice graphic... i hope that they will put some gameplay in the final release.

19. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    This sucks. I've been waiting for this game for so long and this happens...

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Look I rarely every try to insult someone on here, but jesus you sound like a ****ing baby. Sorry but GTX 295 is quite an old card. Its people like you that hold back games and tech from moving because you wont. Its not a developers fault nor is it their problem to pander to the now small dx10 crowd. DX11 has been out for nearly 5 years. Move on.