Any gun guru's?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Strikerx80, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    gonna get my first gun soon and have narowed it down to 3 models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im leaning towards the Ruger sr9 it seems it gets good reviews in all areas. also has more safeties than the glock which for me is important. also around 100 dollars cheaper than the other 2.

anyone have anything to share about these guns?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Not really a Ruger fan. So I can't comment on those.

S&W is most reliable. If you're looking for a conceal carry gun, I recommend the Smith&Wesson M&P Shield in either a .9mm or .40.

As for Glock, not a fan of those either. But I do work on them occasionally. It's design, like most other striker fired handguns, makes it physically impossible for an "accidental" discharge to occur. Keep your booger hook away from the boom switch when you're holster the gun and you'll be ok. The Glocks and the Springfield Armory XD and XDm models are some of the safest guns available.

3. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    to know for sure i need to fire the glock 17. my friend has one just havnt got a chance to shoot it yet. the gun will just be for having fun at the range, and home defense. im not going to be carrying it.

the ruger also has a big indicator when a round is chambered so that is a nice feature for noobs i think, even though you can just pull the slide back to check. It also has a manual safety, magazine disconnect safety and striker indicator, and same trigger as a glock. the glock seems for more experienced gun owners

4. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Well I know nothing about guns .... but if those were the 3 choices in an FPS game ...... :giggle2:

I'd pick the second one, because it looks nice! :D

5. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    why pistols go rifles or assault rifles ...i dont buy hand guns not realistic for our training purposes and uses

6. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    What training purposes are those? I'm pretty sure anyone military, or police etc. are trained in the use of side arms. should militrary or swat not be trained in side arms because they are unlikely to use it? i really am confused by your comment. Also, i stated a reason for owning is home defense, a pistol is better in close quarters than a rifle dont you think.

Anyway, there is a good chance i will pick up a semi automatic rifle later in the future for more target shooting fun.

7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    An alternative to the M&P is the FN Herstal FNP series. I no longer have my FNP9, so an M&P is next. Same price range. Similar feel and shape. Both are great choices.

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm a little biased and would say the Glock 17 since that is what we use in the army.

But to be fair, they are all pretty good. Go to a range and fire them and see which one fits you the best.

9. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    My job is guns, am sick of them. Gun are like toys for the kids to play with them. There are far more important stuff in life. Like building a powerful gaming rig.
    Ok ok I really want to buy myself a FN 5-7 one day, but it's mothaflippin too expensive and too rare where I live. Actually there are no at all (except airsoft). Damn you unnamed Eastern European country which I won't mention just for my own security.

10. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    Gaming is fun and its my number 1 activity, but really i need something else fun to do that gets me out of the house. Practicing with and shooting a gun is instantly gratifying and fun to do, alone or with a friend.

11. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Why no Sig?

12. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    sig is great no doubt, but the price i have seen is about 200-300 more than i wanna pay. i have seen them priced at 750-850 dollars. i wanna spend 450- 550.

its one reason im leaning towards the ruger. reviews say it goes toe to toe with the glock for 100-150 less.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  14. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300

:bang:

great another gun into the mix.

still though its double action single action. was kinda getting set on the striker fired pisols.

there was one DA/SA pistol i was strongly considering and it was the beretta PX4 storm.

[​IMG]

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nothing wrong with a Beretta.

16. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    yeah i really like that beretta but i guess it has a 12lb trigger pull on its double action... seems a bit excessive. the ruger and glock always have a nice 5lb pull.

17. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    well unable to get Pistols in my current location for one but we dont have a urban environment training area as of yet is the other... Home defense eh I just use the fear of what could happen if you enter my home and its a small town message gets across :) pistol not needed for that

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

That 12lb trigger pull is only on DA. SA is like 4.5-5lbs. Also that safety decocks the hammer too. So that's another plus depending on the mode of readiness you plan on keeping the gun in. Basically Condition 1 and Condition 2 are most common for home the defense type. Condition 1 being the most popular.

19. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    no one goes for the old 6 Revolver style anymore?

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I have a S&W model 629 that make for a nice conversation piece.