Is this true?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by trocio2, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm, that kind of makes sense I guess, but I got used to just clicking my Desktop icon shortly after boot and proceeding on.

8.1 has options for booting straight to Desktop though which should solve that.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not wonder about superior 2D image quality, because I am 100% sure it displays images exactly same way as w95 did.
    I really wonder about that performance boost of W8 over W7. Since W7 got good bump over Vista and it could not be missed.

That new WDDM may be reason for some improvements, but for a lot of issues too. Therefore I wonder about that only.
    But not to the point I would install it for testing purposes. I would rather install linux and deal with all issues it brings.

3. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Things like having to put your hand in your pocket to fund basic functionality such as DVD movie playback that is included as standard in Windows 7 is yet another reason enough for me not to use 8 over 7, not just the inherant fugly UI.

Ropey drivers available for my legacy cards is yet another... :)

Having said that, there is no problem with a tablet OS, that is if your actually using a tablet. I'm not.

For the desktop, it's simply awkward, ill-conceived, and I don't think any sensible business would touch it with a bargepole. The vast majority of the world and his brother are still using the tried and true method of keyboard and mouse combination

It just doesn't sit right on a desktop in multiple ways for me, and that's why I have canned it.

I know of plenty more people that have also done the same regarding it.

There are even those who have just skipped it altogether without even bothering to try it based on the UI alone.

The only point of Windows 8's existence is to kill the I Pad at the expense of desktop users.

I know of no-one that has discarded Windows 7 or XP once put to use, and I guarantee based on Windows 8 being such a turkey, that the start menu will be back in force in Windows 9 no doubt.... :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

You don't have to pay to use VLC media player, nor do you have to pay if you get the software for free (my motherboard came with some DVD playback software).

Yea, because it's clearly listed that Windows 8 requires a tablet to use... My laptop and desktop motherboard must have some fake Windows 8 certification since they're not tablets. This is one of the more silly reasons against Windows 8 I keep hearing... :bang:

I'm using a mouse and keyboard as well. I've had no additional difficulty with pointing my mouse at app shortcuts and clicking them though with Modern UI. If anything, it's way easier for me (there's been plenty of times I'd go to try to click something on Win7's start menu just to have my cursor go off of it and close it).

Hating something without trying it...

I easily discarded Windows XP and 7 on my HTPC once I found out Linux was a better choice :p

I'm just really failing to see what possible reasons people have to keep defending the old-school Start Menu, in-comparison to Modern UI. Both store App shortcuts. both let you move your mouse and click said shortcuts to launch apps. Both essentially work the same way.

This is my icon layout on Modern UI:
    [​IMG]

Along with my rather unorganized 8.1 App List:
    [​IMG]

I find this far easier to use than Window 7's Start Menu (when bezels don't get in the way, and this isn't a valid excuse for majority of people lol).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013

5. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    @Espionage: you know how to use Windows 8. Nice.

6. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes, perhaps I'm far too old school as well as the start menu being old school...to prefer to be not using a ketchup and mustard chimpanzee style OS whatever the sales pitch offered.

But that still remains my choice to carry on using what works well, is tried, true and tested, along with most others out there doing the same apparently...

[​IMG]

While Windows 8 has now surpassed Vista in market share, Windows 7 is clearly holding the lead by a country mile.

Windows 8, despite being an obvious upgrade or die progression is still not a polished offering in the same sense as XP or 7 that is tailored or appeals in the areas where it counts.

I won't even get started on the other problems with it. But to each his own...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

More like most others not wanting to try something new and wanting to be part of a trend. I just can't see any logical reason how someone can just flat-out dislike Modern UI after sitting down and actually getting the hang of using it (not that it's that complex really).

I have friends who also hate Modern UI, and when asked why, they say "because it's for tablets". I'll assume that statement is what majority of people that dislike Modern UI live by by since I really haven't heard too many legitimate reasons so far, and I'll also assume that most of these people haven't even tried the thing, and are just following the bandwagon of things to hate.

Can argue a similar case with Vista even. I bought a laptop with Vista around the time it first launched. The specs on it were pretty bad though, so it was a bit on the slow side. Graphics driver also crashed a little bit more than expected. Vista itself worked fine though; had no major compatibility issues, and it ran the games I played.

So there's 3 things to blame. Vista itself, the OEM of the laptop (Acer), or the IGP manufacturer and maintainer (Intel). It's far easier to blame an entire operating system since it's probably the most obvious thing, and that's what most people chose to do. Meanwhile, Acer continued selling low-end laptops (not actually 100% sure on this though), and Intel keeps slacking big time on their IGP drivers without any major complains.

Lets say Windows 9 brings back the old-school Start Menu, but gets rid of the Aero mouse cursor theme and transparency (aka nothing that even matters to the general usage of the OS). I can almost guarantee there would be floods of people doing the same kind and amount of complaining, vowing not to use the OS, developing paid apps with spyware to bring back features, and etc. over something as silly as that, but only if there's a bandwagon for it of course :p

8. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I think the truth lies in the fact that it's impossible to maintain a consistently winning formula...

They dropped the ball with ME, Vista, and now 8. This is not peoples imaginations, it's the blatantly obvious truth.

I take the view of if it isn't broke, then don't try to fix it, hence the reason for ignoring 8 altogether (Yes I have tried it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.