Kepler Bios Tweaker

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by npdoss, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    My previous picture was after a 6-7 minutes run in Heaven 3.0 with all options at max (aax8, tes at extreme..)

Here is a picture of a 15 min loop on graphic test 2 in extreme mode:

[​IMG]

Voltage is constant and clock is quite stable.
    At least for my setup, P2 let me have a stable OC that I could not reach in P0 (mainly because voltage was toggling suppose).

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    ^ what about power usage? mine was hitting 140% in that run

3. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    As you can see in the picture, max is at 123.012% (was 128% for the second card (not on the picture))
    But my OC is not as high as yours and I do not want to use more than 1187mv since my cards are already hot with the current settings.
    Limiting the max Pstate to P2 can be done via nvinspector and does not require bios update.
    It seems that the "Kepler bios tweaker" proposed by npdoss let you force that in the bios directly.
    Anyway, it is working fine for me but maybe not suitable for your setup... the only way to know is to try :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Is there a guide to limiting the p states in nvinspector. I'd like to try it first that way. My cards have 1 6 pin and 1 8 pin if that matters any

5. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Maybe not the correct place to discuss that so I will try to be quick.
    The "-setpstatelimit" (as many other params) are only accessible in command line.

Here is my DOS command that is launched at system start:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\NvidiaInspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,150 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,200000 -setPowerTarget:0,135 -setGpuClock:0,2,1215 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3442 -setpstatelimit:0,2 -setBaseClockOffset:1,0,150 -setMemoryClockOffset:1,0,500 -setVoltageOffset:1,0,200000 -setPowerTarget:1,135 -setGpuClock:1,2,1215 -setMemoryClock:1,2,3442 -setpstatelimit:1,2

The option you are looking for is: -setpstatelimit:<gpuIndex>,<pstateId>
    In your case (sli) you need both -setpstatelimit:0,2 and -setpstatelimit:1,2

Then if you open Inspector, you will see that before the current Pstate (P8 normally) you have a star and if you put the mouse cursor on it, it should say "Limit: P2"

You have to go to the OC table and change the values for P2 state but also for P0 because values in P2 are capped by P0 one. For voltage, it is a bit different since it is using the ref voltage at max but it is also capped by the offset used in P0 minus 2 steps (not sure it is clear but CrazyNutz explained it well in its KGB files)

You can set ridiculously high values for P0 (they will not be used anyway) therefore they will not limit you in P2.
    It is also easier to configure since you provide directly the clocks you are targeting (as it was with previous GC generation).
    Well that is not really short… :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    The option you are looking for is: -setpstatelimit:<gpuIndex>,<pstateId>
    In your case (sli) you need both -setpstatelimit:0,2 and -setpstatelimit:1,2
    is this all I need to set?
    and how do I set that as a dos command on start up, never done that.

7. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Yes it is the only thing you need to limit max Pstate to P2.
    But if you do not change the clocks for that State with Inspector (Afterburner, Precision... do not allow that as far as know) you will use the default bios values. It is what I tried to explained in my previous post :)

Here is a guide I found after a quick search (maybe more understandable when written by a native English speaker :))
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1267918/...-disable-boost-fixed-clock-speed-undervolting

But I do not recommend to use the "-forcepstate" command (forcing the card to be always in P2 even if doing nothing). "-setpstatelimit" is doing the same job but let your card return to P8 when Idle.

For running a DOS command at win startup, create a bat file (text file), copy paste your dos command in it, then create a shortcut to it and put it in "Startup" directory (in Start memu). The command will be executed automatically when reaching the desktop.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  8. npdoss

npdoss Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming N780 TF
    I really recommend an after market cooling for your GPU when you disable throttling,
    My room temperature is 23c went from 35c idle and 95c+ load on stock cooling to 26c idle and 56c load with ARCTIC Accelero Twin Turbo II VGA Cooler and the fans don't go any higher than 42% <it's 39.99 from newegg> (GPU overclocked to 1215 on 1,2voltage and ram is 1660) i can push it more now but i don't need to.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  9. npdoss

npdoss Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming N780 TF
    I will not buy a VGA with a stock cooling anymore....

10. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Same... i will have patience next time, and not just buy reference cards, cause i cba to wait for custom cards...

Ill wait for maxwell with twinfrozr cooler i think.

11. npdoss

npdoss Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming N780 TF
    Yeah i got it the day it came out :eek3: but i will not do this mistake again hopefully :nerd:

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Drop the kgb and sticky this? Hahahaaa

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    it is called progress

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    LOL a risky bios flash utility with instructions in German hahaha

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I never used it to bios flash, I use it to mod my bios and use nvflash, I am sure coolbits was stickied at one point but you do not see it now as its been long replaced

16. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I didn't have the best of starts with the bios editor but now I've gotten to grips with it I think it's miles better than KGB. It offers you full control of the bios. Ive now flashed with it a ton of times without any problems.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i understand its probably better.
    Do you find that you can oc your card even more than with KGB and be stable?

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I borked 1 680 bios at the beginning since then its smooth sailing
    @people looking to flash, make sure you have a back up gpu or IGP in case anything goes wrong, then you can reflash the suspect card again

19. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    No it shouldn't affect stability. It could definitely do with an English written user guide. The last two tabs are a bit of a mystery.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Did Agent Write a guide for this, he said he was, if anybody knows please link incase i missed it.