Started hearing my hard drive clicking, recommend me a new one please :D

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 1, 2014.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Hi guys,

I have a 240GB SSD used for my OS, and one 1TB Samsung F1 drive used for Media files such as Movie, Music, Pictures, and any large files I want to store, also used to record games to. I also use this drive for my Windows 8.1 pagefile, it is currently disabled though as I am trying to test with or without it as I had issues in Win8 before with it turned off so seeing how 8.1 handles not having a pagefile.

I also have a second drive, a 1TB Samsung F3 drive used completely and exclusively for games. I have steam installed on my SSD but its game folder is on this drive. Same goes for Battle.net, Origin, Uplay all are installed on my SSD but game folders are on this drive to save space on my SSD.

Just been playing some Diablo 3 and I wear headphones most the time so I notice nothing around me. But I had my headphones off testing out a new fan profile on my GPU to see how low noise I could get it without risking high temps.

I can hear my hard drive clicking occasionally, and the game will stutter sometimes freezing for a split second and then carrying on always when this clicking happens. I think it is about time I retired these drives, the F1 is around 6 years old now and the F3 has to be around 4-5 years old too.

I have been looking at these drives... which ones would you recommend?

Seagate 1TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive - OEM - £44.99

WD 1TB Black Hard Drive - £59.28

I really do want the WD drive as I know its probably more reliable than the seagate but really?? That cost difference is pretty high for basically identical drives in terms of size, and storage space. What differences are there really if any?

Also anyone recommend any decent hard drive cloning applications?

Thanks sorry for long winded post for a simply question lol :p

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    HDD Raw Copy Tool
    Both hard drive are good,maybe WD offers 3 years or watranty for the black serie.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    For performance, I would get the WD 1tb Blue over the black (due to blues higher density single platter vs blacks 2 platters). If performance is not a big thing then black probably has better warranty if thats important to you. Although I dont believe its anymore reliable than the blue.

I have 3 of the 1tb Seagates in your link and running strong for 2 1/2 years now. Its the fastest 1tb hard drive currently made. Not sure of reliability of this particular drive, but I know in some recent survey Seagate has not done well on that front with some of their multi-platter models.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Funnily enough, the last HDD that failed on me was a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB too

I only had that drive a year or two, now I have the Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB

Updated the firmware before first use about 2 years back after reading that it cured some chirping noise, never had a flicker of bother with it

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thanks for that I had no idea the WD Blue drives out performed the Blacks.

I thought their black drives were their "performance" hdd with the red and blues being for NAS and Servers, etc.

Might get one of the Blues now as its even cheaper than the Seagate 1TB drive.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    No the blues are the standard HD that you might find in a desktop PC such as the OEMS from Dell,HP etc. The blacks are Enterprise drives. Just the Red drives are for NASes. Even though the Red drives are for NAS I am using one in my new rig as a storage drive and it is working fine so far.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Make sure its the WD10EZEX model since thats the single platter. There may be older 1tb blue (2 platter) drives still in circulation and those are not what you want.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Btw have you updated your intel RST recently to v13.2.xxxx? I think I saw you posting RST 13.2 not so long ago.

Well its probably just disk parking bug with RST13 and certain Sata2 disks @ z87/z97 mobos.

Im also plagued by this too with my Samsung/seagate spinpoint F3? 1tb, the only fix is to stay at RST 12.9.xxxx driver.

But first I had to uninstall RST13, then turn off pc and swap my sata disks around to different sata mobo connectors, ie from sata channel1 to channel2, etc., then reinstall RST 12.9 and it no more disk parking/clicking.
    One guru3d user said its enough just to turn off psu, uplug it and plug back.. I didnt test this yet, to lazy to swap disks around, 12.9 is ok anyway.

RST 13 is only for m.2 and sataxpress support.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    @alanm, those test results aren't anything to get excited about. That's worse than my Seagate 1TB does on the specs in my sig.

The drives all perform similarly. The Caviar Blue comes in 80GB to 1TB with 2yr warranty. The Caviar Blue comes in 500GB to 4TB with 5yr warranty and the Caviar Green comes in 500GB to 6TB with 2yr warranty.

Personally, I'd go for the Black just for the warranty. The performance difference is negligible really....unless you get one of the Blue models with less than 64mb cache. Then it becomes noticeable on large file transfers.

If performance is a necessity, stick with Seagate.
    I'm using a pair of ST1000DM003 drives. I replaced 1 WD Caviar Black and 1 Crucial M4 256GB with these drives. No disappointments or regrets yet.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You seem to have missed my earlier post:

But as you can see its not much faster than the 1tb blue:

[​IMG]

Theres nothing special about the blues other than the 1tb single platter which also comes with 64mb cache. And as I've mentioned to him its a matter of performance vs warranty and to choose accordingly. The black 1tb is something like 25% slower performance btw.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Even those results are lower than what I get on both my systems.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Would be interesting to see. Can you post your HDTune result?

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I like the Toshiba desktop drives myself.