BF4 GPU Usage drops SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kl0br1ll3, Aug 3, 2014.

1. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

we all think its ur PSU. have u got a friend who has 700w + u can borrow and use to see if the problems still occur?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  2. kl0br1ll3

kl0br1ll3 Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Windforce 670
    Now, i bought a new One. 750 Watts Gold.

If the Problem stay's i send it back ... or not ;)

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Probably your psu. If not, it may be driver related.
    As for BF4, haven't noticed a real change since Dragon's Teeth, except so many more unbalanced weapons ;)

4. hnizdo

hnizdo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 3.5G ;)
    Guys, I am electro design engineer.

Switching power supply has undervoltage and overload protection, natural or additional. I case of both limits it will shut down or break.

PSU or its limiters can be faulty, so it can provide voltage outside specified norm, or ripple outside of specified norm, long term or short term (miliseconds).
    In both cases computer become unstable or it will most likely shut down (motherboards have voltage controllers too).

In no case, IN NO CASE, can insufficient voltage or high ripple cause lower computing power of any of pc components. Its s myth and technical nonsense. Its digital equipment, not tube audio amplifier.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'd laugh it still would work with the new psu... regardless of that, what do you think it is? Any additions on the topic?

Also I'm wondering, what are the op's temps? Maybe thermal throttling due to 95% gpu usage? Or a broken sli profile (which would mean driver)?

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah you have a Gold rated 700w, that should be fine.

That rating makes a difference also. Cleaner, more consistent power.

No it is not a myth, I've seen these things happen myself.

Not enough power can damage components, just as over-volting.

PC components are sensitive compared to most electronics.

You do realize today's pc components like CPU/GPU are made to throttle down in cases of lack of power and other problems?

Now that is to say I'm not going to challenge your position and job with most other electronics. But I myself have witnessed things go south due to lack of power/unclean power.

It starts with small issues like this and leads to the PSU going "POP" and possibly spiking taking out other equipment with it.

His whole issue is his cards are not running like they should SLI. It is throttling down as designed when not enough power is present, or when it isn't being utilized.

In this case it IS being utilized, but there is not enough power to keep it in 3D clocks it seems.

IF we are all wrong oh well, guess if his venture goes south he could have a bad 2nd card. But I can safely say I've ran into this before, and a small bump in rating and wattage from a fresh PSU fixed it.

Nvidia/AMD/Intel and all other companies give you a reason for the wattage for a MINIMUM and MAXIMUM.

One GTX 670 needs a recommended 500 watts. 750 watts for Sli.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  7. hnizdo

hnizdo Member

GPU:
    I belive that you belive in what you have seen, but I am telling you, that is theoretically and practically impossible. Many people have seen UFO or Cinderella, but that doesnt mean its real.

No CPU or GPU on the market throttling because of lack of power. Both cpus and gpus are throttling because of high temps or high current. Never because of low or high 12V rail supply voltage.

One GTX670 needs 300W in spikes, 250W average on full load. Nvidia/amd specifies 500W per card because of el cheapo branches like Eurocase or Gembird, when they are not able to sustain their certified power.

Power transvertors of GPUs on are known integrated circuits with their specs and recommended circuit and application notes in pdf. If you understand the theory and look at them, you will see, that thay have no signal to gpu telling "slow down, no enough power". GPU is reacting only to temperature sensors signal, which is irrelevant to voltage level.

8. hnizdo

hnizdo Member

GPU:
    You know that it could be tenths of causes to that problem. Drivers, combination of hw, Windows,...

No one can change the theory though: you have voltages in spec, or you have not. System is stable, or its not.

btw several levels more myths reigns in audio technics - PC myths are very limited, and very easy to dissolve, thanks to the deterministic behavior of logic circuits independent of user senses.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    What brand and model?

10. kl0br1ll3

kl0br1ll3 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair CS-M Series CS750M Modular

11. kl0br1ll3

kl0br1ll3 Guest

GPU:
    If i put my 2nd Card in the first Slot and the first in the Second Slot, my PC freeze's....

I dont know why ? Temp's are OK under 72°C

12. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    sorry if you already mentioned it, but have your ran both cards by themselves? Meaning have you taken one card out and just ran the one and then switched them to see if they both work separately ok?

13. kl0br1ll3

kl0br1ll3 Guest

GPU:
    Furemark on both Cards run's without Problems.

14. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Full ultra often requires more than 2 GB, that could be the issue.
    Check if the issue also arised when you disable MSAA, that lowers VRAM usage by a lot but doesn't really decrease quality that much.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I've had people come to me about the issue before that is why I say what I do. Power does strange things, you may think something is fine, but we will never have absolute control over electric.

Anyway the link I provided gives a wattage measurement of what a single card/SLI/CFX use and the PSU that should accompany it.

Who knows why things happen. I'm not saying you are wrong that it should not theoretically happen, but I've seen it.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh, strange... I've got no real experience with SLI, I still don't believe freezes to be normal just because you switched gpu 1 and 2

Also, I'm not sure, but isn't thermal throttling going to become a topic above 70°C?

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, it will for GTX 6xx series, not for 7xx and it would drop 13mhz at 70c .

kl0br1ll3 ,So does the drop in usage only happen with BF4 ?
    does it happen in Valley or heven or furmark (I don't like using furmark but since you ran it) .
    I would try an older driver, like 335 or so and see if it still happens.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Doesn't look like it I'm afraid, so I'd think it's a driver thing. Except he sees it after a longer time gaming than the time he ran furmark.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    yes, could be game/driver issue .

I know over at Geforce forum , many have issues with 337+ drivers, where stuttering happens over time and temp fix is put system to sleep and reawake .

20. kl0br1ll3

kl0br1ll3 Guest

GPU:
    The Problem come's after a few minutes Gaming. In Benchmarks runs fine

I got a new SLI-Bridge from a friend, will test it with the new one. The PSU will arrive tomorrow ;)

Sry for my bad English i hope you guys understand me ^^

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014