Samsung Galaxy S3 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sdamaged99, May 7, 2012.

1. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Ah,a first world problem,I should move to get my dear s3 for an advantageous price

2. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    I loved the HTC One X but was waiting on the S3 announcement...those rumored pics all had me drooling...

When I actually saw the S3 revealed I was very disappointed. The design does not look very good, I think the HTC One X design looks MUCH better. Couple that with a much better S-LCD 2 screen on the HTC One X (I just went from a Note which had the same screen type as the S3 has and the One X screen is MUCH more crisp)

I'm very happy with my One X now and see the S3 as a downgrade especially in the United States where it's going to have the same S4 processor.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I've played about the One X and it's screen was awful, compared to my s2 it looked badly washed out and very dull. Blacks were dark grey.

4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    for the be honest pics dont show much about the S3 ... i will have like a more square design as is the S2 ... but it look they have design it with the Samsung Google Nexus in mind .

If you can get it in hand, i think you will get pleasantly suprised..

Now it is a little bit bad, they have not do it a bit with luxury in mind.. It look they wanted to be sure for the Nexus and the S3 to dont get apple after them.. and do something completely different.

But the screen is absolutely incredible, even if it is a pentile, the resolution and pixel density is absotuely something.

I like really my S2 screen.. it is really something (color are a little bit too much contrasted, but if you see a phone at 20m on a table, you know it is the S2 .. ) but the S3 make it look really old . ( for concern, mmy brother have an Iphone 4S, and he like more the quality of the S2 screen ... he love it )

Last edited: May 27, 2012

5. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Got an email off Amazon UK. Phone delayed a month, how can Samsung mess up something as big as this?

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    only the blue model has been delayed by a month. white model is released already.

samsung had an issue in the blue model where, after shipping 600,000 units, they realised that the front panel and rear panel were using different shades of blue... so they recalled all blue models and are remaking the rear panel.

7. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Yeah i see last night the price of the white one was up to £599, now it's gone back down again. Odd.

8. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Received my white S3 in the post this morning from o2, after a quick setup and play around I have to say this is a very slick and fast phone.

One thing I will say is that the phone is large (more then I expected) however the new more rounded style fits easy in the hand, I can imagine though that if you have small hands this phone is not for you.

When I get back from work I'll post some pics showing the size difference against an Iphone.

9. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    lol.

10. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    If you can you give a quick review?
    Also how is the new TouchWiz interface handling? I really like the stock Android 4.0 but not sure about the TouchWiz layer because I got rid of it from my phone.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Apparently the Canadian version of the Samsung Galaxy S III will include 2 GB of RAM. Both the LTE and non-LTE variant will also be powered by the Qualcomm S4 MSM8960 SoC.

More details here: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/05/30/o...n-carriers-june-20th-lte-capable-and-2gb-ram/

deltatux

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Just got mine, very fast and smooth. kickass screen.

The again, I'm coming from an SE X10 :)

13. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
  14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    LTE version... international 4G is with the Samsung quadcore .

15. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Sounds like Canada got chumped.

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, international version doesnt support 4g. it only supports hsdpa/hspa up to twenty something mbit.

at the moment, there are no quads commercially available that support 4g/lte.

however, because of this, there is a race between nvidia and qualcomm to see who can be the first to release a quad core that supports 4g/lte. nvidia have just got their icera modem finished so they'll be supplying those as an add on chip to add 4g/lte support to their tegra3+ launching later this year, however, their chip only supports up to 50mbit.

qualcomm at the moment have their quad core krait CPU launching later this year with the adrena 320 gpu. this one is coming in two flavours, one with their own integrated 4g/lte module that supports up to 100mbit, and one without a modem but with the option for carriers to supply their own modem.

havent heard anything about samsung releasing an exynos chip with 4g support out of the box yet though.

17. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    As promised here is a quick pic to show the size of my S3 compared to the iPhone 4, certainly something to consider if you have small hands...

[​IMG]

This is my first Android phone and I still use the iPhone 4 for work but I must say the speed of the S3 with slickness of ICS is winning me over from Apple.

18. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    Man, the screen is as big as the iphone itself lol. Guess its pretty close to the Vita (which was 5in if I'm not mistakened)

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's the LTE version. Samsung's Exynos quad cores aren't compatible with LTE.

I wouldn't say that since the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 is known to kick NVIDIA Tegra 3's ass. Now there has yet to be benchmarks against the Samsung Exynos quad cores, but seeing how the Snapdragon runs a heavily modified Cortex A9, the architecture alone lets Qualcomm to beat its Cortex A9 counterparts.

Only Qualcomm has a license that allows them to extensively modify the ARM microarchitecture. I think NVIDIA has one too but they're focusing that effort towards Project Denver.

Also, the Canadian version comes with 2 GB of RAM while the International version only has 1 GB of RAM :p.

deltatux

20. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i think you made a slight blunder there. the qualcomm snapdragon s4 doesnt use the arm cortex a9 design. it uses the arm cortex a15 iirc. the architectural change is enough to ensure that two a15 cores spank nvidias 4 a9 cores.

samsung has better experience with drivers from what i've seen, so despite running the same architecture as nvidia (and on smaller manufacturing process of 32nm vs 40nm), and despite running at lower clocks, samsung's quad actually outperforms nvidia in CPU related tasks.

the quad has the advantage in that it is running an overclocked mali400 gpu. however, given how laggy the mali400 runs games in my galaxy note, im curious to see how much better the s3 can run games.