BSOD caused by ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 on Acer Aspire 8935G

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Mad<>Max, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Mad<>Max

Mad<>Max Guest

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 4670
    Sorry popeye for not replying sooner. The automatic update hasn't worked so far. I got a message that my card is not supported. Maybe I should retry now that the BIOS is up to date!? Not sure if it will help. Thanks for the tip.

The automated update works, unfortunately the problem is not gone. After a couple of restarts I get a color test, showing off the beautiful colors the card can display. Starting to believe that I'm totally stupid with these things or the card is CAPUT. Thank you popeye, for your replies, really appreciate them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    Can you check your Device Manager whether it show 2 GPUs when u switched to AMD graphic?

Similar like this..
    [​IMG]

Btw, this is set of Catalyst 12.6 Legacy WHQL that support Mobility HD4670. You can try install it over your current driver.
    Code:
    [b]AMD Catalyst 12.6 [color=blue]WHQL[/color] - AMD Legacy Driver (for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000 and HD 2000 Series)[/b]

[url=http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/12-6/12-6-legacy_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc_whql.exe]AMD Catalyst 12.6 - Win 7-32[/url]
    [url=http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/12-6/12-6-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe]AMD Catalyst 12.6 - Win 7-64[/url]

[url=http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/12-6/12-6-legacy_xp32_dd_ccc_whql.exe]AMD Catalyst 12.6 - Win XP-32[/url]
    [url=http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/12-6/12-6-legacy_xp64_dd_ccc_whql.exe]AMD Catalyst 12.6 - Win XP-64[/url]

3. Mad<>Max

Mad<>Max Guest

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 4670
    Thanks xacid0.
    The answer to your first question is yes. After installing the either the 8.64.4 package from acer's site or even after installing the 12.6 WHQL it shows both.
    (After a lot of reading into it, this is normal, since they somehow co-exist); but, and here might be a problem, the Intel shows the same driver number as the ATI when instaling the 8.64.4 and after instaling the 12.6 WHQL (over the 8.64.4)from amd the intel shows the 8.64.4 while ati 8.970.100.300 i believe)
    I've tried believe me, like a million times the 12.6 WHQL from amd's site, by instaling it over the default one, and even tried cleaning up previous drivers and only installing this one. I've tried it in both discrete and switchable mode. I'm probably the most problematic guy, since not even the basic driver works for me (in discrete mode)(the basic driver installed by windows never starts showing the usual code 10 error) and afterwards even after driver sweeping/ccleaning the windows and it's registries and installing a fresh 12.6 WHQL driver, I got eighter a color screen of death (never BSOD).
    This is so messed up, I'm starting to believe the video card is DAMAGED(even though I don't understand how can it work sometimes for longer periods of time, and causing problems mostly when it's not under burden).
    I'm out of ideas? What do you think about the BIOS settings? With one should I use? Till the BIOS update I didn't have the option in BIOS to choose between discrete/inter/switchable mode, it appeared after the update.
    I would like to us the ATI card, because the laptop is plugged in always (when using it), but not sure if it's the "good" option in my case! After the BIOS update I've tried only Windows7x64 and never the 32 bit one. As for XP, I have a LastXP dvd, so I can try that as well I suppose (I've tried it twice before the BIOS update but the result was that I ended up with a black screen[using the driver from acer's site]).

One other thing, this has happened when I first tried the 12.6 WHQL. In discrete mode, after letting the default driver to install I ran the automated amd updater. It has determined that the newest driver is 12.6 WHQL, applicable for me. I have performed the install and it was working flawlessly that day (afternoon and evening). I event shut it down completely, done couple of restarts (because I got most of the CSOD's) in the first couple if seconds after rebooting. Than the next day, I woke up to where I left off, constant color-testing the monitor. Not sure where I read that with ATI Tray Tools, by Ray Adams I can set the parameters of my ATI card. I've tried it (discrete mod only) set the clocks to 675/800 as it should be, and lowered the voltage from 1.2 V to 1.1 V.
    Even this worked for I while, but eventually after a couple of restarts it wasn't.

Not sure if I'm describing the things happening on my laptop properly, and maybe some of you don't like that I'm posting all kinds of weird stuff up here, but my intention besides solving my issue is to help others with similar problems. I usually take notes when trying some new approach not to repeat the same mistakes but obviously without success.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Just a suggestion. Set BIOS to switchable. Go into safe mode and clean the drivers making sure inf's are also deleted. Restart in normal mode and try to install again.

If that doesn't work do the same with BIOS set to discrete mode.

Really running out of ideas. You may well have a hardware issue. You could also try going back to the old BIOS.

5. Mad<>Max

Mad<>Max Guest

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 4670
    Sorry to have to say this, but I have already thought of what you have just proposed and tried it both ways. I'm on Intel chip, and probably going to stay. Thanks anyway guys. I won't give up, but certainly will cut back on driver installation for a while.

6. bbwoolfy

bbwoolfy Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 4670
    I also have an 8935g with the same problem. I researched this a while back and discovered that it was a driver problem. The problem is, Acer have not released any up to date drivers to resolve the issue and probably never will... and the fact it is switchable graphics means that installing ATi drivers prevents you using the switchable graphics (button). BUT.... what I discovered was, you can dual boot! If you boot using normal power switch it uses the Intel VGA driver. If you boot using the Acer Arcade button, it uses the ATi drivers.

I haven't tried this yet, just been limping along with the Intel graphics, but I understand it works and no BSOD!

HTH.

Edit: Here's where I discovered about the dual gfx boot solution (different thread from what was posted earlier)... not ideal solution, but as good as we're gonna get, I think. Acer certainly don't seem willing to resolve it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/28289-ati-mobility-radeon-4670-intel-confliction.html

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  7. leshcat

leshcat Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6770
    Try altering driver + tdr 3/7 on 12.10 whql unifl release.

8. bbwoolfy

bbwoolfy Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 4670
    @ Mad Max - can I ask, did you try setting the BIOS to discrete (i.e. ATi 4670 GPU) only? I'm going to update my BIOS to see if this works. I'm not too bothered about having the integrated/switchable option. I presume by making this update, one could just use ATi mobility catalyst drivers and have the benefit of updates?

Also, the dual boot option (using the media arcade button), I tried it and it appears to load XP and launches Media Arcade, but unable to get into windows as 'Exit' shuts down the machine. So, that's not much use!

9. bbwoolfy

bbwoolfy Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 4670
    Thanks for advice Leshman. I'm only running 32-bit Windows 7 though, noticed your drivers require 64-bit :/

I think I will try AMD mobility driver using the 'discrete' BIOS setting, see how I get on with that.

10. midas22

midas22 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4670
    I just wanted to respond since I sympathize with your efforts and I've been having these problems myself with the same system for a long while. Last time I went down the Acer rabbit hole regarding this 8935G/HD4670 BSOD horror story I came to the conclusion that the instability had to do with the GPU voltage.

The voltage keeps switching from 0.9V to 1.2V, depending on what you're doing with the computer or which "state" it's in, and there's nothing you can do about it with tools like ATI GPU Clock Tool and similar. The card will eventually always switch up to 1.2V and crash with the high performance graphics card.

I wish there was a way to force the card to constantly use 1.1V for example but it's not working with any tool that I've been able to find.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

11. Unfrog

Unfrog Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4670
    For anyone still having issues, here is something that fixed some of them for me:
    in Catalyst Control Centre change power settings to maximize battery life. This will obviously lower fps in everything, but might help the crashing problems.

I am currently using a 8935g with modified drivers, so I'm not sure if you can find this option in the ACER supplied drivers.

From what I understand, my GPU causes crashes when it's fed higher voltages than the lowest. Cleaning it inside (which is a major pain since the GPU is like the last thing you reach when opening the laptop and taking parts out -.-) helped the heat and fps (dunno why), but didn't help me with the BSODs.

As for the drivers problems- supposedly this Radeon takes different hardware call codes than the standard ones. This would explain why ATI updated drivers do not work with it. Someone took updated ATI drivers and modified some (text) files in them and repackaged them and I've been using those for a while now. I am now looking for the page I found that on, in hopes to fix a different issue related to the GPU/drivers. I will post again or edit this post when/if I find it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  12. Unfrog

Unfrog Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4670
    For some reason the forum I took my modified drivers from can't be linked to from here (get censored).

I found AMD drivers that do work! I found them at:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

The file I downloaded from there has 'legacy' in it's name, the Catalyst version is 13.1.

As I wrote in my previous post: select the lowest power performance from CCC options to avoid the problem with higher voltages.

It's been working really well for me the last 2 days.

13. midas22

midas22 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4670
    Thanks for your help! I got my hopes up here for a second before realizing that I'm currently already running these legacy 13.1 drivers and everything that is graphics intense is still crashing as before.

Couldn't you find those modified drivers again, that sounds interesting.

If I enable the lowest power performance mode in CCC then my games are running terribly sluggish. I assume you're talking about what's under Power/Powerplay/Maximize Battery Life. It's a bit odd since you can also set the Power Options performance in Windows at the same time (where I'm running High performance at the moment). Do you have that set to Power saver too?

I thought the problems were Realtek related for a while (since the HD audio seems to be relayed through the graphics card) but after trying to change drivers back and forth and disabling the sound I've come to the conclusion that the HD4670 is simply a problematic card. It's problematic on desktop computers as well, especially on the ones with a built-in low-end PSU where they experience the same type of solid color crashes since they can't support enough amps on the +12v rail. I assume there might be something similar here since it's only crashing when I'm running something graphics intense, the Acer cheap asses screwed us all with a cheap laptop PSU or crammed to much into this design or whatever.

I have no idea if you could adjust this laptop PSU somehow, anyone knows? The desktop HD4670 requires up to 6.25A on the +12V rail, I don't know about the mobility version but it seems the whole 8935G is given about the same, 19V and 6.32A... maybe you could avoid the crashes by simply switching the power cable to one with higher amperage but the same voltage? Don't blame me if anything goes down in flames though but it should be safe as long as the voltage is right since the amperage is "pulled" when needed.

I always remove all my connected peripherals and run without Windows Aero to reduce crashes anyway but it always happens sooner or later. One bit of advice that I can give you if the 8935G runs hot is to clean the fan (top left at the back) since it easily gets clogged with dust all the time, otherwise the computer might crash because of overheating. Just blow into it once in a while.

14. midas22

midas22 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4670
    Thanks for your help! I got my hopes up here for a second before realizing that I'm currently already running these legacy 13.1 drivers and everything that is graphics intense is still crashing as before.

Couldn't you find those modified drivers again, that sounds interesting.

If I enable the lowest power performance mode in CCC then my games are running terribly sluggish. I assume you're talking about what's under Power/Powerplay/Maximize Battery Life. It's a bit odd since you can also set the Power Options performance in Windows at the same time (where I'm running High performance at the moment). Do you have that set to Power saver too?

I thought the problems were Realtek related for a while (since the HD audio seems to be relayed through the graphics card) but after trying to change drivers back and forth and disabling the sound I've come to the conclusion that the HD4670 is simply a problematic card. It's problematic on desktop computers as well, especially on the ones with a built-in low-end PSU where they experience the same type of solid color crashes since they can't support enough amps on the +12v rail. I assume there might be something similar here since it's only crashing when I'm running something graphics intense, the Acer cheap asses screwed us all with a cheap laptop PSU or crammed to much into this design or whatever.

I have no idea if you could adjust this laptop PSU somehow, anyone knows? The desktop HD4670 requires up to 6.25A on the +12V rail, I don't know about the mobility version but it seems the whole 8935G is given about the same, 19V and 6.32A... maybe you could avoid the crashes by simply switching the power cable to one with higher amperage but the same voltage? Don't blame me if anything goes down in flames though but it should be safe as long as the voltage is right since the amperage is "pulled" when needed.

I always remove all my connected peripherals and run without Windows Aero to reduce crashes anyway but it always happens sooner or later. One bit of advice that I can give you if the 8935G runs hot is to clean the fan (top left at the back) since it easily gets clogged with dust all the time, otherwise the computer might crash because of overheating. Just blow into it once in a while.

15. Unfrog

Unfrog Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4670
    I didn't touch the Windows power settings. Since I hate it when my computer crashes, I just use the low power settings (in CCC). It does make the laptop much weaker for games, but at least I can play some older ones. With higher power settings it crashes 5 minutes into the game most of the time, so I would rather play something with lower requirements, than nothing.

I won't be modding the hardware myself and this laptop won't probably need cleaning before I retire it (I'm hoping to do that soon).

The modded drivers are 11.2 and suffer from the same crash issues, but also have some weird bugs with certain graphical features, so I really wouldn't use them over the 13.1. They were just better than the Acer ones before I found the 13.1 official ones. I have found the source for the modded ones, but can't link them here (it gets censored).

16. midas22

midas22 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4670
    Okay, I've tried the low power settings but it's still crashing and same thing with all drivers; 11.1, 12.1, 12.2, 12.6, 13.1 and a few modded versions, and it doesn't matter if the graphics settings are set to low or high in the games.

I finally found a solution that works 90% and that's uninstalling everything Catalyst, running high performance mode in the Windows power options along with AMD GPU Clock Tool and clocking down the card from 675/800 to 600/725, possibly even more to get 100% stability. I can't touch the voltage though or it's crashing anyway (as described here).

With this setting I can even turn most games up to medium settings and the performance is about the same (haven't done any benchmarks though). The only game crashing with these settings (that I've tried) is Mass Effect 3 but the rest are fine (less graphical intense I guess).

17. existen3

existen3 Guest

GPU:
    ati mobility 4670 1GB
    8935g ati 4670 problems

Hi guys. Have just joined because I too am having problems regarding this issue. I have put a video on YouTube to best explain the issues I'm having. I sometimes have bsod but more often than not it's a colour wash I get. At least that's the best I can describe. I was hoping someone could take a look and give me a definitive answer as to what this might be. I've been going round in circles for weeks now and I'm literally losing my mind.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/

Would someone be so kind as to take a look?

Yours hopefully

eX.

18. midas22

midas22 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4670
  19. Mikeoscar

Mikeoscar Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4670 HD
    Possible Acer 8935g BSOD solution!!!

Like many others I've seen on this forum and others on the internet I have tried every solution -from updated drivers, manual installers, removing CCC, etc, etc, etc. I think I may have found a solution which others could try.

You need to have CCC (Catalyst Control Centre) installed. Load CCC - choose 'power settings' tab 2nd from bottom. On the screen that apears there are two settings - 'Plugged in' and 'Battery' use the drop down bar on each of these ~(battery and plugged in) to set it to 'maximise battery life' I don't know why but after more than a year of insessent BSOD's - they have stopped happening since I changed this setting. I think it may be something to do with reducing optimal performance - but it still apears to use the 4670 card and I now have a stable system. Try it - its very simple and worth a go - hope iy works for all those out there who like me have tried every other solution and there are many propsals) that have'nt solved the problem. GOOD LUCK!

20. Mikeoscar

Mikeoscar Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4670 HD
    BSOD Acer 935g

Sorry it appears I'm answering my own post - I'm new to the forum and not sure of protocols.

This is an update to my previous post re BSOD's in March.

As I indicated - I had this problem for a year. Using the CCC (Catalyst Control Centre) and switching to power saving graphics (this activates the secondary Intel Card) gave me a stable system and whilst not ideal, at least I could surf the internet without constant BSOD's every few minutes. So on boot up I would automatically change the Graphics using CCC each time I used my laptop. In the meantime I allowed a series of Windows updates (too many to list). But the strange thing is after repeatedly doing this for several weeks (changing to power saving graphics) I thought I'd try leaving the laptop running on the ATI 4670HD - and oddly the problem of BSOD's has gone.
    I have now been running my 8935g as normal every day using the HD Card without problems for more than two weeks.

I wish I knew what the culprit was - But if you've tried everything else (and I certainly did for 12 months!) it's worth a try. I had been about to throw the laptop on the scrapheap - glad I didn't its still got lots of life left in it!