Is this true?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by trocio2, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    I installed Windows 8.1 Preview. The basic display driver is wddm 1.3!

[​IMG]

2. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    EDITED

Yep, it's the same with Window 8 Pro. (WDDM 1.2)
    Microsoft made their basic display adapter support Wddm 1.2 for all graphic cards. But i'm not sure if the basic display adapter can actually use any of those features unless they are all emulated using your CPU to process the information.

Actually, I think running the Basic Display adapter allows HD 4000 and Below GPU's to play Dx11 games like Crysis 3. I tested it on my HD 4350 and found the performance to be terrible. So you may need a super computer to achieve quality performance.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  3. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    Hmm... thank you for replying.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows8.1 runs WDDM1.3....so yes, it's true.

Windows is simply showing the "Windows Display Driver Model" version

5. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Not quite...for WDDM 1.3 a lowly 8800GT will suffice from 2007.

Nevertheless Crysis 3 is always going to be terrible at anything other than postage stamp resolutions on a 4350 display driver or not, what else did you expect ?. Even the big hitter cards struggle with it. :)

Clearly, there were never any plans to update the Catalyst legacy driver (for DX10.1 flavours) to any point above the WDDM 1.0/1.1 level support already provided, despite at least one of the drivers being a Windows 8 "release".

Which might go a long way to explaining why Win7 drivers used on 8 are slower and cranky in any case.

The fact is that the actual cards that are from a newer time period (2008) than the one from the other camp given above (2007) simply don't have the appropriate support implemented, as they stopped caring about 5 year old cards anyway, way before the driver support actually stopped.

And the final joke to this is...that the M$ basic display driver must actually use it in some sense, or it wouldn't qualify as such. :eek:uch:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  6. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Hmm, when I mentioned Crysis 3 and the HD 4350, I was not implying it should work smoothly with my HD 4350. The HD 4350 was just an example of a card with Directx 10 features playing a directx 11 game using the basic display driver. When I said performance was terrible and you need a super computer achieve quality performance I was considering a processor much powerful than a e7500 at 4 GHz because the basic display adapter does not actually use your Graphic Card, it only uses it to put an image on Screen without using any of your Graphic Card supported Features.

Other Thoughts
    I guess an HD 5570 running games such as Just Cause 2 and Saints Row the Third at the performing level of a slideshow would be a better example as the card is capable of playing both games with decent Fps by normal means.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh look it's W8 with WDM 1.3. and DX11.2.....

*Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn* :p

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Oh look it's Pill not getting the context!

*Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn* :p

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I actually got meaning of it and agree with Pill. M$ should add same support for W7 which is desktop PC OS or crawl to it's grave and die.
    Because I do not want to use my PC with OS using tablet interface.

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The point. You're missing it. Twice. Pill's and mine.

11. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    The point is about legacy support, dudes. AMD can make at least a wddm 1.2 driver for old cards, because it's a driver implementation and you don't need hardware dx11 to have some of the new features. Look at the picture I posted, it's the basic, generic display driver.

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It's akin to this... :bang:

I think it's practically impossible at this stage to expect any more driver improvements along Windows 8 lines for the legacy camp, it has already been said there would only ever be one driver available for Windows 8.

And basically there is so they are sticking to the guns, though in essence all just a tacked on .inf, for a Win 7 driver as an afterthought.

No one is enforcing people to use Windows 8 however....

I'm still not, so I have not much reason to complain (I'll be using 7 until the wheels fall off), and have found relative stability, comfort and solace in drivers from a much earlier timeframe of 10.9a-11.4 albeit modified by myself.

For those Windows 8 moments (although there hasn't been many), the machines just get retro fitted with 8800GT's, which are a smoother experience under Windows 8 despite an older design, where the video stuff then works without issues along with 4K UltraHD unlike 4870x2+Win8.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If it was not Pill's point then it's mine and it's superior point. And good to laugh at too.
    Imagining M$ trying again to enforce new OS by exclusive feature level of DX on it.
    As for new WDDM, it may very well be new reason for stutter in games.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yeah pretty much this....it's slightly amusuing the way some people go gaga over the feature levels in W8.1....the MS propaganda machine is hard at work....lol.

W7 uses DX11.1....anyone know wonder how many games support DX11.1? :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    [​IMG]

Windows 7 for life... :banana:

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Windows 8 is far superior to windows 7 when it comes to speed and SSD functionality, even 2D Image Quality.

Use a free program to get the start bar back fully functional, or better yet Start8 and get a fully functional Win7 Superbar and avoid Metro completely.

I use Start8, but there are free programs that do similar. I still don't think 5 dollars is a bad deal personally. Also just for the record, I've been using Start8 Since Windows 8 was released with absolutely ZERO issues at all ever with any functionality regarding the program or windows. All updates work fine, even windows 8.1 preview works with start 8.

Should we "HAVE" to use a 3rd party tool? No. But I am not going to miss out on everything else Windows 8 has to offer besides the crap Metro UI, which is a lot. It's pretty apparent now, that Microsoft is ignoring all the complaints about the start bar, and wont be implementing it themselves, so we gotta act for ourselves.

Funny comic though, like it a lot!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    i could never return to windows 7 again from windows 8.1

it's like comparing vista to windows XP...it's an enormous disgrace..!!

as regarding the topic software doesn't necessarily mean what is truly utilized by the hardware itself.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Far superior? lol please...enough hyperbole.... It may boot up and shut down a few seconds faster but there is no "superior SSD functionality", that is in your head.

SSD's and HDD's speed depends on hardware, not the OS.

In other regular day to day tasks there is very little between 7 and 8, most users would need a benchmark app to see any change.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  19. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Since this appears to be a Windows 8 thread now, guess I'll give my feedback :p

I don't mind Modern UI, when it works nicely with my setup. It does what I need it to do, and does it in the same manner my Start Menu in 7 did it (it has app shortcuts, I click them, they run). Even looks nicer I might add.

I really don't see the big deal in Modern UI to cause people to hate it before they even try it, or even make the biggest deal over, but maybe people just complain about things for fun? Who knows...

The main thing that really baffles me is how people totally disregard and avoid Windows 8 just because of the Modern UI. But get this; there's more to Windows 8 than just Modern UI :O The under-the-hood kernel tweaks, performance gains, and additional security and features I think are pretty decent, and I really don't know why people give all that up over some petty dislike for some graphical element that they (in most cases I've seen) haven't even made an attempt to like.

Want to see a real reason to hate Modern UI? Try this:

[​IMG]

Eyefinity; and a good chunk of my App List is hidden under Bezel due to Bezel Compensation. Bugs me a bit, and I'm kind of surprised there's no built-in bezel compensation thing for that. Am I going to go downgrade my OS though in blind fury? Na. I know the icons hidden under the bezel, and if I for whatever reason forget, I just hover over them and get a name. Problem solved (more like avoided anyway, but meh) :p

TLDR: I think most people just hate Windows 8 to jump on some silly bandwagon...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I think people get upset about the GUI because they have no choice but to deal with it every day, and it's right there in your face on the desktop....the first thing thing you see when powering on.

If it was another issue that could be hidden somewhere else or only popped up every now and then maybe users would be more tolerant.

That's my theory at least.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.